2022 Coaches Portal ...

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: 2022 Coaches Portal ...

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:09 am

--------------------------------------------------------------

Not where I expected him to land, though I did have him as a candidate for this job ...

I previously noted that I saw Tulsa hiring Incarnate Word Head Coach, G.J. Kinne. But, it seems Texas State beat them to it.

Kinne was in fact hired by Texas State, before Tulsa announced Kevin Wilson as their guy. So, it makes me wonder if Tulsa had a couple of people in mind for the job, or if they had already decided on Wilson, first.

Kinne was a Texas high school QB, where he led his team, the Gilmer Buckeyes to the playoff in his senior year. [he actually had a better run in Canton, his first 3 years, but I thought that team name was site relevant 8) ]

His name came up as an interest of TXST, when Tulsa started putting out their feelers.

Most signs read, Golden Hurricane, but some had said look out for the Bobcats. They were pointing to his Texas roots.

My guess, is Tulsa had an interview, and continued interviewing.

Texas State also had an interview, and told him upfront; You're the guy.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:29 am

--------------------------------------------------------------

And I wanted to finish this quick group of updates with the next name ...

Seth Littrell is out at North Texas.

He was a .500 coach, going 44-44.

Although they got off to a bad start, last season, going 1-6 in their first 7 games; the Mean Green turned it around, and finished the regular season with 5 consecutive wins, before losing to Miami (OH) in the Frisco Bowl Classic.

This season, they went 7-5, and faced Texas San Antonio in the CUSA Championship Game. Though, losing the Conference Title game, they are returning to the Frisco Bowl to play Boise State..

I'm not too sure what they were shooting for, with this move. Maybe they assumed they could throw their name in the hat for Kinne, but now that ship has sailed.

No replacement named; even though, it's really quite early, they can't wait too much time, with the recruiting cycle at hand.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:01 pm

-------------------------------------------------------------

An enemy becomes the leader ...

Sacramento State Head Coach, Troy Taylor, has accepted the job at Stanford, to replace David Shaw.

Taylor was a Cal Quarterback during his playing days. A 4 year Starter, he went 1-1-2 vs the Cardinal.

Word is, they already had this cooked up, but waited until Sacramento State's FCS playoff loss, this past Friday Night, to announce the hire.

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:07 pm

Deion is making moves ...

Colorado has hired Kent State's Head Coach, Sean Lewis, as the Offensive Coordinator.

They have also hired Charles Kelly, Alabama's Assistant Defensive Coordinator, to be the Buffaloes' official DC.

So, poaching a guy away from Saban, but not as a Head Coach, as relatively the same position. Then, hiring away a Head Coach as your OC.

Things are very active in Boulder right now.

The day after Sanders was hired, Colorado had the highest sales of athletics merchandise sold for a single day, in the history of the UC program. They had a spike in Social Media follows by 175,000 in a single day, and had over 2,000 Season Ticket holder forms filled out.

The Deion effect is in full swing.

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:07 pm

Hey Cane………. I’ve been keeping up with this thread and it’s an eyebrow raiser. I was just wondering, now that College Football has a player Transfer Portal and a NFL Draft Declaration, if there’s anything out there that tracks the movement of Coaches and Staff?

If so, I wonder, what is the percentage of coaches that are leaving their current schools as compared to the percentage of non-graduating players leaving?????

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:37 am

Mountainman wrote:Hey Cane………. I’ve been keeping up with this thread and it’s an eyebrow raiser. I was just wondering, now that College Football has a player Transfer Portal and a NFL Draft Declaration, if there’s anything out there that tracks the movement of Coaches and Staff?

If so, I wonder, what is the percentage of coaches that are leaving their current schools as compared to the percentage of non-graduating players leaving?????

I think the problem with an equation to gain a proper estimation, is that the numbers of Coaches + Supporting Staff is nearly fixed until the end of the season. Or, at least for the most part, unless someone is released in Season, which is actually a rather small number, comparatively.

Whereas the Transfer Portal is active all year long, including the off season between Spring and Summer. While the reasons for leaving are anywhere from the coaching staff suggesting you may be a better fit elsewhere, to not wanting to be the back up to earn your spot, to noncompliance & suspension issues, to missing your family, to having a coaching turnover, to getting injured, to being influenced by toxic players in the locker room ect ...

I'm not sure how to compose all the variables into a percentile. Then, who left, why and then before the coach or after?

Right now, there are more coaches supporting staff change outs, where guys are leaving their jobs as Coordinators and Position coaches from one school, to be hired by another program in the same title.

A [no so] Short List of current Turnover is:

Deion Sanders is bringing at least two Defensive Position coaches from Jackson State to join him in Boulder.
Linebackers coach Andre' Hart, and Cornerbacks coach Kevin Mathis.
Also, Tight Ends coach, Tim Brewster, from JSU's Offensive staff.

Auburn:
hires Ole Miss' Offensive Line coach, Jake Thornton, to the same position.
Also, Baylor loses their Defensive Coordinator, Ron Roberts, to the Tigers.
And Louisville is plucked of their Secondary coach, Wes McGriff, for Freeze's staff.
{this will be McGriff's 3rd time at Auburn}
--- still in the mill, but rumors are abound that Auburn is looking to hire
Tulsa former Head Coach, Philip Montgomery, as their next Offensive Coordinator.

Cincinnati:
hires Bryan Brown, away from Louisville as the Bearcats' next Defensive Coordinator. 
{same position he held with the Cardinals}
Cincinnati retains Kerry Coombs, with a 3 year extension. He is the Special Teams Coordinator
and Secondary coach. Coombs stepped in as the interim Head Coach when Fickell was hired by
Wisconsin.

Arizona State:
hired both Defensive Coordinator Brian Ward and A.J. Cooper as Defensive Line coach
away from Washington State, to coach the same positions.
Cal Poly's Head Coach, Beau Baldwin, for Offensive Coordinator.
They poach Fresno State's Offensive Line coach, Saga Tuitele, for the same position.
Also, TCU Offensive Analyst, Bryan Carrington, for Running Backs coach
as well as with the Los Angeles Rams running backs coach, Ra'Shaad Samples, to be
the Sun Devils next Wide Receivers coach.
Idaho State Head Coach, Charlie Ragle, as Special Teams coach
along with Idaho State Defensive Tackles coach, Vince Amey.

Iowa State:
fired Tom Manning from the Offensive Coordinator Position
promotes Receivers Coach, Nate Scheelhaase, as the new OC
--- Offensive Line coach Jeff Myers was also released.

UAB:
hires Miguel Patrickas Defensive Line coach. Patrickas was Ohio State's defensive quality control coach.
[not too sure Spence is all that heartbroken over the loss]

USF
hires Todd Orlando as the Defensive Coordinator and Inside Linebackers coach
along with Kevin Patrick being hired as the Bulls' Defensive Line coach. {both were formerly with FAU}
On the other side of the ball, USF hires Tennessee Analyst, Jack Taylor, as Tight Ends coach
and a Tennessee Graduate Assistant, Tyler Hudanick, to be the Vols new Offensive Line coach.

Cal:
hires the recently ousted Texas State Head Coach, Jake Spavital, as Offensive Coordinator and QB coach.
Also, Mike Bloesch, North Texas' Offensive Coordinator, has been hired as the Golden Bears new Offensive Line coach.

BYU:
hires Weber State's Head Coach, Jay Hill, as the Cougars next Defensive Coordinator.

Oregon:
hires UTSA Co-Offensive Coordinator, Will Stein, as Offensive Coordinator and QB coach.

UTSA:
Promotes Special Teams Coordinator and Tight Ends coach, Justin Burke, was to Co-offensive coordinator
Matt Mattox is still on staff, and continues to serve as Co-Offensive Coordinator, as he did prior to Stein'
leaving for Oregon.

Wisconsin:
hires away North Carolina Offensive Coordinator, Phil Longo, for the same position.

Louisville:
is hauling over much of the staff, previously at Purdue. Co-defensive Coordinator Ron English
Receivers coach Garrick McGee
Running Backs coach Chris Barclay
are all expected to leave the Boilermakers' staff, pre-Bowl Game.

Purdue:
will have Brian Brohm, former Louisville QB legend [and son of the departing Head Coach Jeff Brohm]
to sit n as the Interim Head Coach for Purdue's Bowl Game vs LSU in the Cheez-It Citrus Bowl.

Ole Miss:
hires N.C. State Offensive Line coach, John Garrison, as the next Rebels O-Line coach.

N.C. State:
poaches Syracuse, as Robert Anae, The Orange OC take the Offensive Coordinator position with the Wolfpack.

Nebraska:
sitting there, right on queue, swoops in and hires away Syracuse's Defensive Coordinator, Tony White, as the next Cornhuskers DC.

Syracuse:
Quarterbacks coach, Jason Beck, has been promoted to Offensive Coordinator.

Kentucky:
rehires Liam Coen, who was the OC in 2021. Coen was the Offensive Coordinator for the LA Rams, this 2022 Season.

Western Michigan:
hired Louisville's Offensive Coordinator, Lance Taylor, as the Broncos next Head Coach.

North Texas:
promotes Jared Mosley to Athletics Director after serving as Chief Operations Officer and interim AD.
UNT is using Parker Executive Search firm, to expedite the Head Coaching search process.
{almost feels like an admission of failure and defeat, if you asked me}

------------------------------------------------------------

And as a topping ...

Although I previously posted the hire; Information has it, that Liberty's offer to poach Jamey Chadwell away from Coastal Carolina was $4 million per year.

Finishing out this comment; Oregon State Head Coach, Jonathan Smith, has agreed to a new six-year contract worth $30.6 million.

Last edited by Cane from the Bend on Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:59 am

Cane from the Bend wrote:There are some coaches on a chopping block Watch-List.

Keep an eye out for:

Bryan Harsin {Auburn}

Geoff Collins {Georgia Tech}

Karl Dorrell {Colorado} [maybe just Hot Seat, this is year 3]

Ken Niumatalolo {Navy}

Neal Brown {West Virginia}

Pat Fitzgerald {Northwestern}

Scott Satterfield {Louisville}

And, it finally happened ...

Navy released Head Coach Ken Niumatalolo, after 15 years.

It's too bad, really. He's a great guy, and I'd Love to see him get an assistant coaches position somewhere, if nothing else.

At least he can say he was the guy who ended Notre Dame's seemingly perpetual wins versus the Midshipmen, snapping an NCAA-record 43-game losing streak to the Fighting Irish.

And, although he had an overall losing record to ND, under Niumatalolo, Navy beat the Irish 4 times. Something no other Navy Head Coach has ever done.

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:13 am

Thanks for the insight Cane……….., College Football, when all things are considered, is a HUGE Ant Hill and there’re most certainly a bunch of piss-ants running around chasing the gobs of dollars and future opportunities. And IMHO will inevitably continue to change dramatically, especially in the areas of ‘employee compensation’. I can see a time when recruits and players will have agents and or a Union to represent and negotiate on their behalf. 8)

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:00 am

Mountainman wrote:Thanks for the insight Cane……….., College Football, when all things are considered, is a HUGE Ant Hill and there’re most certainly a bunch of piss-ants running around chasing the gobs of dollars and future opportunities. And IMHO will inevitably continue to change dramatically, especially in the areas of ‘employee compensation’. I can see a time when recruits and players will have agents and or a Union to represent and negotiate on their behalf. 8) .

What's that old saying about the inmates running the asylum ..?

NIL was not really a consideration, until the media pushed it into the open space of common consumerism.

Is this what they really wanted?

I know so many of the fans are having buyer's remorse.

There have been conversation abound, suggesting how NIL should be regulated. Many talk about a Payment Cap; mentioning it in the form of nfl Salary Cap.

I have to remind these boneheads, that NIL does not work like that.

The Universities are not in able to go into direct negotiations with these athletes, for monetary worth.

The nfl has a Salary Cap, based upon employee payment status. NIL is Promotional Value.

The NIL is to the nfl, as is an endorsement by Head Shoulders or an Insurance Company is to the Players, and their personal revenue generation estimate.

The nfl can Cap what a team is allow to spend on its players. But it has zero ability to regulate the endorsements each player is allowed to represent and gain an earning from.

Somehow, the average College Football fan is so simple minded, they simply cannot grasp that rationale.

The only way to potentially rain these sort of things in, is to allow a Player Endorsement Entity, to contract a Player based on the number of performances they participate in.

Where this becomes an issue, is that it is then a "Pay for Play" arrangement.

However, with the current model being more professional, as long as the University is still not allowed to pay players directly, I don't see why an endorsement of said player should be restricted, in this sense.

The argument would be a simple one. Said Athlete's revenue earnings potential is greatly depreciated, by the number of games he [or she {since we're speaking in general}] does not appear in.

Any Athlete can make an initial buzz, and be momentarily monetarily valuable [say that three times fast]. However, once that initial enthusiasm wears off, continued revenue generation is determined by outstanding competitive performances.

This sort of Contractional Obligation could see said Endorsement Entity redact a forthcoming payment in the event of said player's Transfer Portal interest.

Anyway ... just some thought I've had.

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:20 pm

A little more somber hire ...

With the loss of Mike Leach, Mississippi State has hired up Zach Arnett, MS State's DC, as the permanent Head Coach.

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:53 am

Cane from the Bend wrote:Purdue:
will have Brian Brohm, former Louisville QB legend [and son of the departing Head Coach Jeff Brohm]
to sit n as the Interim Head Coach for Purdue's Bowl Game vs LSU in the Cheez-It Citrus Bowl.

Now here's an interesting bit ...

:arrow: Drew Breeze is coming in to be the Assistant Head Coach for the Citrus Bowl.

That ought to be fun to watch.

On top of that, being hired as an Accountable Assistant under NCAA Guidelines, Breeze is sanctioned to work with Student Athletes, and I find this very interesting, Allowed to Participate in Recruiting Activities.

Also, not quite as interesting, but more so relevant to the context of the thread; Purdue has hire Illinois Defensive Coordinator, Ryan Walters, as their next head coach.

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:12 am

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Cane from the Bend wrote:
I've got to check my contact sources again in the morning ...

But if I'm hearing things right, not only does it look like Hugh Freeze to Auburn.

Hugh Freeze confirmed ...

Officially named as Auburn's Head Coach.

The previous info I had, said Auburn wanted to keep Carnell Williams [Cadillac] on staff as an assistant/Co Head Coach. Rumors were, that Kiffin wanted to be the guy in charge, and with Williams looking over his shoulder, it wouldn't feel like they really hired him. Whereas, with Freeze's troubled past, he wouldn't have any negotiating room to refuse.

My take, they are keeping Cadillac on staff for when they want to scapegoat and dump Freeze. Then they'll officially announce Williams as HC in the aftermath.

Not that I think any of you doubt me ...

However, in case you may have thought I could be speaking out of my rear:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/CAtB3Okyhbk

I still believe Freeze is just a stand in, until Auburn is confident Williams is ready for the full Head Coach's responsibilities.

So, why not get the program off the floor and running, with a guy who knows how to manipulate the system?

If any improprieties arise; You have your next guy, right there.

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:29 am

------------------------------------------------------------

The full press conference was quite a bit longer, but I'll post it here in case you're interested ...

Notice how the first 8 minutes is basically gushing over Carnell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXCNits8mFo

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:08 pm

Frank Ponce, out as Miami Quarterbacks Coach ...

This wasn't necessarily a firing. There is some family situations that were likely just too strenuous, where he left to stabilize his relationship.

When he took the job, he was the Offensive Coordinator for Appalachian State.

He came to Miami, his wife has a lucrative position in the media back in Boone North Carolina, so she stayed.

His departure from Miami is in part to his retaking the OC position at App State, where he'll be for the 2023 season.

Other things have been mentioned, that may have expedited his departure; Josh Gattis never sought his input when making QB adjustments. Also, there is some speculation that Gattis was a one year OC that Ponce was supposed to step up to take the job when Gattis leaves [which is why his wife stayed behind for a year].

Gattis may yet leave, but he hasn't given a timetable. Many are saying he's looking for an nfl OC job. Some say he'd leave for a Head Coaching position at another College Program.

Whatever the case, I wish Ponce all the luck in the world.

And Gattis can go skip rocks in a creek.

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:45 pm

“skip rocks in a creek….” 8)

Proof positive I’m a bad influence on folks in that if you hang around a hillbilly it won’t be long before you’ll start atalkin’ the language. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Uh btw, here in the hills and hollers it’s pronounced “crick”.

Return to “General Discussion”