Dennis Erickson to Arizona State

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:28 am

Well, I don't think he is the worst thing that could happen to Arizona State. The guy is a pretty good coach. I just think that the same results will be there for Erickson. He'll have just as much success with Koetter.

I think somebody out there should pursue Norm Chow. I've heard that he might not be interested in being a head coach, but don't you think he'd be a good fit at Arizona State?
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:45 am

Norm Chow is on folk's list, I am sure. One thing about Norm, he seems to be more of a Mickey Andrews type of guy...better at the X's and O's of technical football than a guy who would thrive on the rubber chicken dinner alumni circuit.

Norm is an offensive mind and his 27 years as an offensive assistant at BYU and 4 at USC give him beaucoup experience at offensive gaming. But Norm has never been a head coach.

HC's don't really have to be technicians of an offense or defense...they have to be recruiters, spokespersons, and managers. Norm Chow could probably be a HC...he would find that the job itself would be very different from what he has been doing for almost 30 years.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:38 pm

I think Erickson will be succesful, but he won't be around long enough to make an impact that will last - that's my point. You'd think schools like ASU would want to look for someone who at least has the potential to be good for 15 years. You also have to wonder how much gas Erickson has left in the tank after all of his moving around.
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:59 pm

Stability in the coaching ranks is very, very important to the short, mid, and long term success of a program.

The schemes, techniques, methods, etc. used by coaches vary considerably. The personal relationships, philosophy, trust factors as well as attitudes, expectations and the bonds between players and coaching staffs are important concerns whenever there's a change.

Players in particular, are the ones affected most until they get their questions about who the new coach and staff is going to be and determine what impact or changes they will be dealing with. Also, it can really, really, really hurt a program's recruiting efforts.

Sometimes the transitions go well, but sometimes they just don't go well at all. It's a risk and one of those things that seems to simply work its own way out ... one way or the other.

BYUfan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Stop Liking Arizona State

Postby BYUfan1 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:12 am

With Erickson at ASU now, I guess I have to stop liking them. He might be a good coach but why come back to Idaho if you are only going to stay one year? Classless move.
The critic is one who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
-- Oscar Wilde

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Stop Liking Arizona State

Postby donovan » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:38 am

BYUfan1 wrote: why come back to Idaho if you are only going to stay one year?

Because you were gone long enough that your memory of Moscow was blurred?
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re:

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:36 pm

Funny, how Miami can be the scape goat for others, yet, their own indiscretions have a tendency of being overlooked.

How does pointing out that Miami fight with florida international serve you?

Because Erickson coached at Miami, that discredits him as a coach.

I do not like Erickson, because he was the coach who lead us into a suspension, and scholarship sanctions.

He's a scumball, true. But labeling Miami as Thug U, when your own school has shown just as much ( if not more ) illicit behavior is careless.

"Hey look at how Miami fields a bunch of hoods", let aside how Nebraska has only beat Miami one time in all of their match ups, oh yeah, and that was the 1994/95 Husker team, coached by Osborne, who helped keep the Defensive team captain out of jail, regardless of his 3 sexual assault charges.

Charges that would not be acted upon, until his football eligibility was over with. And only one charge was brought against him, because only the rape of Miss Nebraska was quote "Prestigeous Enough" to challenge a Husker football player, in Nebraska.

Or even the defensive secondary who had been arrested on three counts of domestic violence for beating his live-in girlfriend.

The poor girl was so scared of what he would do, she never pressed charges.

It was only when she had been beaten unconscious, and hospital ridden that he was charged with the crime. Quoting police "Since she was unable to give a statement, it was our civic duty to arrest him".

But that didn't stop him from playing football. Nope, he even appeared in the 1994/95 Orange Bowl.

The difference between Miami's dirt, and Nebraska's dirt, is that Nebraska is less likely to deal with, or disclose their misdealings. Just because it was news worthy for Miami to be a corrupt school, doesn't mean in the least that Nebraska wasn't already getting away with murder.

Original Thug U?

Please, SMU had things in their favor long before the Hurricanes went to the dark side.

And where are your comments about them?

One fight, which is what you are hanging over Miami's head right now. Forget that the `Canes have been a clean program for the last 10 years.

Forget what coach Davis did to sweep out the closet. But he was able to bring Miami back, with no infractions, contend for a National title, and all while still suffering from scholarship penalties.

But Miami's pre-1996 team is what you prefer to link us with.

And for Miami and Florida State nearly going at it in mid field each time they play.

When is that?

Before the game when all the players get together at mid field to shake hands and hug each other, or, after the game, when they meat at mid field for a post game prayer together.

It makes me wonder what game you're watching.

Maybe it's a Cornhusker punching a Missouri fan in the face after the game that has you confused.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Return to “General Discussion”