Dennis Erickson to Arizona State

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Dennis Erickson to Arizona State

Postby ..fanatic » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:51 am

I feel bad for the naive folks at Idaho. Talk about screwing a school. Dennis Erickson couldn't get a job so he goes back to the school that helped him start his career - Idaho. They open their arms and buy the line that the five-year contract will allow Erickson to build up the program. Now, of course, they knew Erickson would move on to bigger pastures, if the opportunity came about - they are likely naive but not completely stupid - but they surely never envisioned he would spend just one year and then bolt.

"Had we known that we were going to end up in this situation we would never have gone down that road," (athletic director Rob) Spear told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. "We made a commitment and we thought we had a commitment from the other end...."

Erickson must have some pretty hefty bills that need to be paid to sacrifice all honor and personal ethics for this move.
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:55 am

I think that is Idaho's fault for hiring him in the first place. They had to know what would happen as soon as he got an offer. If they really thought they had a commitment, they should have made his buyout very prohibative.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:07 am

I don't disagree with you Spence. I know that side of the coin exists. But Erickson had the opportunity to do the right thing, and didn't. Surely, he would be just as hot a property two or three years from now, if not hotter. Especially if he were to get Idaho to a winning record.

silverfox
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby silverfox » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:12 pm

Idaho....

You know what? When I first came to the Philippines I had a lot of people ask me where I was from in the US?

I would tell them Idaho and of course they wanted to know how close to Michigan that was...

Then, twice in one day, a very funny exchange occurred between two different ladies and my self at two separate times (they didn't know each other). Both conversations went sorta like this:

SHE: So, where are you from in the US?

ME: Idaho

SHE: (looking very puzzled) What to you mean you don't know?

ME: I do know. I am from IDAHO!

SHE: I don't understand. You really don't Know where you are from?

ME: I just told you... I am from Idaho... Idaho is a state in the USA located just East of the states of Oregon and Washington which are located just North Of California...

SHE: (expression changes to "the light just went on upstairs") OH, I GET it now... IDAHO...I thought you were saying I DON'T KNOW!

As for what DE has done ... well, can you blame him? After all even Idaho has in-state rivalries and I have it from good "Northern Idaho" intelligence that they (a mob of fans) really wanted to string him up by his toes after the loss this season to Boise State.

Fact is... if he stayed he would have to face BSU again next year...and the thought of what might happen if he were to lose AGAIN just might make some of the NORTHERN Idaho fans snap (and that's just putting it mildly)...

I always like to poke fun at the Vandals...First they tried to build a satellite campus in Boise (ending up with some convictions over mismanagement and funding issues), then they threw out the schools historical UI logo -- only part of the past's best branding effort by the school -- and now the coach abandons them (again -- same coach yet)...(and I am also a former student of U of I as well...)

Such a sad deal for the U of I...

At least they have an excuse now for next years in-state rivalry game with BSU.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:39 pm

Think about it, Nick Holt left to become a defenisve assisstant in the NFL for the Rams before he took the job as defensive coordinator for USC.

Idaho might look towards another former coach. One who knows his offense that would work well in the WAC (considering no defense is played). He's a bit of a goofball. Does anyone know who I am talking about? :lol:
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:02 pm

I think maybe Idaho has had enough of that kind of behavior ..... be sure to advise Rob Spear to include Louisville on his list when doing his background check on your guy. :wink:

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:48 am

John L. Smith.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:21 am

Yep. I think he might take the job if it is offerred to him. John L. was probably in over his head at MSU and I think he could work at Idaho.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:01 am

Eric wrote:Yep. I think he might take the job if it is offerred to him. John L. was probably in over his head at MSU and I think he could work at Idaho.

How condescending and arrogant can you be or is this your best effort?
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:31 am

You know, it might be a statement of a posters feelings...Michigan State has different opponents, recruiting demands, alumni base, fan expectations, etc.

One might think that Idaho would be a little less demanding and taxing...I know that moving from being a department head back to a professor has been the salvation of several of my compadres.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:08 am

billybud wrote:You know, it might be a statement of a posters feelings...Michigan State has different opponents, recruiting demands, alumni base, fan expectations, etc.

One might think that Idaho would be a little less demanding and taxing...I know that moving from being a department head back to a professor has been the salvation of several of my compadres.

...and that cuts both ways...Not concerned about the Idaho part....Idaho is what it is....as you might note, I live in one of the most arrogant part of these United States....has to do with the man, ...they didn't feel that way when they hired him...how about firing the AD for a bad choice ...or does the administration have no responsibility....
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:53 pm

Of course the AD bears some weight...one selection that didn't work out, well, that's football! A couple and that's a pattern. AD's like Mal Moore at Bama are under fire, Baddour at North Carolina has been under fire.

But football is business...when things go bad, the heads roll first at the CEO before the Chairman of the Board. And before the Head Coach is canned, he often already has canned assistants in the effort to save his job.

Business is like plumbing...water seeks its level and crap flows downhill.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:46 pm

Memory is funny...you missed some of Erickson's accomplishments.

Erickson has won two national championships...in his six seasons at Miami, he won .875% of his games (the program record).

He came to a horrible Oregon State team (5-6 year before Erickson) and in two years took them to an 11 win season.

Erickson isn't superman, but the following statement just isn't factual..

"As I recall, and forgive me if I have to knock the cobwebs off my memory of his college football coaching career, but he was the coach of has beens and the coach of never was.".

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:50 pm

LOL..."juice their players"...more labeling? and here most of us had labeled Nebraska as Thug U. The original Thug U.

And I haven't forgotten Nebraska...referred to as Thug U all over the US in their glory days of the mid 90's. Much more thuggish than the Miami boys jwho ust play at being rap bad boys.

Players like the "Orginal Gangsta" Johnny Rodgers who was arrested for holding up a gas station his freshman year...and still was allowed to play and go on and win the Heisman. It was kept a secret for two years in Nebraska.

Lawrence Phillips...need I say more...Mr. Thug, hisself...

Christian Peters...arrested eight times and convicted four times while at Nebraska.

Riley Washington, who played the 1995 championship season, despite having been charged with attempted second degree murder after shooting and wounding a man.

Tyrone Williams... In 1994 Williams was charged with firing into an occupied vehicle. He later pleaded no contest to these charges and was convicted of a felony charge of unlawfully discharging a gun and a misdemeanor assault charge. He served six months in jail after the Championship season. But Tyrone still was allowed to play on the Championship team....

Shevin Wiggins...Suspended from the team. His suspension occurred after he was accused of fondling two 14-year-old girls. The charges were later reduced to contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

Terrell Farley...arrested on nine different misdemeanor charges while a Husker.

And poor old Abdul Mohammed, who played with a bullet in his butt after a drive by shooting...Muhammed later convicted in Omaha as a felon in pssession of a weapon.

Yep...Nebraska was notorius as Thug U.
Last edited by billybud on Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:55 pm

Donovan, when's the last time that Idaho had the same TV coverage, fan base, pressure, big games, and expectations as Michigan State? I'm not smacking the Vandal program or the WAC, it's just the reality of the situation. Michigan State has its own problems, I know.

And another thing, I understand where you are coming from. This is coming from me, a big-team loving, small school hating, fan who doesn't give a rip about smaller conferences. I dislike Boise State because they don't deserve any credit or a BCS slot, I mean, we're not talking about USC or Miami here, they're Boise State so they aren't any good. Yep, that's me, the guy with the avatar that sports 3 teams from the MAC and 1 from the GLIAC. :wink:

Return to “General Discussion”