59 Yard field Goal!

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

59 Yard field Goal!

Postby Spence » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:10 am

Aaron Pettrey kicked a 59 yard field goal, with the heat on, in the kick scrimmage yesterday. :shock: Ryan Pretorius did the same on a 47 yard attempt. Pettrey has 4 years eligibility left, Pretorius has 3. Ohio State has really been fortunate ,when it comes to kickers, the last couple of years. This year looks to be more of the same.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:12 am

I cannot even remember how many games I've seen that, in the final analysis, have been determined by the play of the special teams. :?

Those guys can either get a team into trouble or get them out of trouble. The field position they create goes a long way in determining the outcome of a game and the points scored by the unit will often times be the difference in a game (especially in a close game). :roll:

I don't know who said it first, but it is true that, "Special teams may not win many games outright for you, but they sure as heck can lose them." :wink:

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:23 pm

"Wide Right" ..... nobody has felt the sting any more than the Seminoles and their fans. :cry:

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

LOL

Postby billybud » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:27 pm

How many NC chances has FSU lost on a kicker's foot?...I despair at every place kick....it's a curse..

Even against Penn State...the game doesn't go to OT if FSU's kicker doesn't miss the only PAT he has ever missed in his college career...

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:35 pm

Oh geeez, Warchant ...... comparing a Mountaineer to a Hokie is kind of like answering a question from your wife or girlfriend about, "Do I look fat in this?" Your already in trouble. :lol:

The Mountaineers, like others, are looking for depth and the best combination to replace the graduation loss. Defensive backs are a priority as well as a couple of offensive tackles. :?

Pat White and the receivers are working hard on the passing game in anticipation of defenses ganging up on the run and to balance the offense. 8)

There is much anticipation in Morgantown, we'll see how it all comes together this fall. :D

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:40 pm

That's a good one, Warchant. :lol:

There might be a bandwidth issue with it though. I'm new at this moderator stuff, but Spence or openSkies might have to take it down after they review it. If I knew for certain ... I could advise you, but we'll wait until they have had a chance to take a look at it. I'm sure both of then will get a kick out of it ... just as I did. :lol:

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:43 pm

I'll verify this next time I'm on the Mountineer Web Site and get back with you, but I'm almost positive he did. :D

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:56 pm

How long was Jason Elam's field goal in 98 or 99? Wasn't that about 60 yards?

Regardless, that's a crazy range to be kicking :shock: ! Ohio State gets my vote for most recent "Kicker U".
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:01 pm

You're a good man, Warchant. The world needs more good men. :lol:

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:30 pm

Hey, Warchant. The Mountaineers rushed for 3269 yds. last season and Pat White's contribution was 952 yds. Their passing yardage was 1398 yds. and White threw for 828 of those yards.

So yep, he ran for more than he threw. :wink:

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:54 pm

rolltide wrote:Elam's was 63 yards. It tied the NFL record.
That's correct, I had assumed it was 65 yards, but it was 'only' 63.

There's a kicker for the Tennessee Titans who used to kick for Notre Dame. I saw him kick from behind the 50 yard line, in warm-ups.
I had assumed he'd own the NFL record.

Longest Field Goal
63 Tom Dempsey, New Orleans vs. Detroit, Nov. 8, 1970

Jason Elam, Denver vs. Jacksonville, Oct. 25, 1998

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:57 pm

You remember Dempsey...he had an advantage..he was born with half a foot and his shoe was built mallet ended like a #2 wood.

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:13 pm

billybud wrote:You remember Dempsey...he had an advantage..he was born with half a foot and his shoe was built mallet ended like a #2 wood.

I remember that kick well.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:23 pm

There might be a bandwidth issue with it though. I'm new at this moderator stuff, but Spence or openSkies might have to take it down after they review it. If I knew for certain ... I could advise you, but we'll wait until they have had a chance to take a look at it. I'm sure both of then will get a kick out of it ... just as I did.

No bandwidth issues if you don't actually post the image. Linking the image doesn't effect the bandwidth. At least I don't think so. :oops:

Love the link by the way. It is nice to see that the FSU fans can laugh about it now. Those games had to be painful.

About the two buckeye kickers. The kid who kicked the 59 yarder is a 20 year old freshman. The other guy is a 27 year old rugby player from south africa. He has the leg to match Pettrey, the 59 yarder he tried was hit a little low and got blocked, but it is said that the 47 yarder sailed into the bleachers. It will be interesting to see who wins this battle.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:52 pm

KTFFAN...you must be a geezer like me if you remember the kick....I turn 60 this year...been a good life...

HS grad, USMC. 1965...later (on Uncle) Univ of West Fla and FSU...have just early retired and am having a ball...been going to FSU games since Peterson was the coach...my wife and I had our first date at a home game and my boy is a Peach Bowl baby.

In '83 we went to Atlanta to play NC..it was 18 degrees at kick off and I froze...we won and celebrated with a bottle of champagne...9 months later my Peach Bowl Boy was born.

Return to “General Discussion”