Ariz St. asks Va school to change mascot.

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Vileborg
Coordinator
Coordinator

Ariz St. asks Va school to change mascot.

Postby Vileborg » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:01 am

The Salem SunDevils received a letter from Arizona St. asking them to change their mascot. The Salem, Va high school mascot is a Tasmanian devil named Sunny. Usually most high schools when asked by colleges will concede and change their mascot. I was happy to hear that Salem didn't yield in this. The other discrepancy is that Salem's SunDevil has no space in the name as does Sun Devil. I don't have any clue what the verdict will end up being but at current the local high school has thumbed its nose at Ariz St.
On a side note, around here it's not uncommon to have overlapping mascots. Just in the immediate vicinity here we have Bulls (South Florida), Falcons (Air Force), Tigers (Clemson), Bruins (UCLA), Eagles (Boston College), Rams (Colorado St.), & Trojans (USC). Thats just from my home 1-AA high school district.

Dossenator

Re: Ariz St. asks Va school to change mascot.

Postby Dossenator » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:25 pm

When I was teaching the school district I was in built 2 new jr. high schools. The school I was at took chose Wildcats as their mascots. They used the same design as Kansas State (for helmets, uniforms and mascots). They apparently did not get approval to use the design. When K State found out the school had to pay some kind of a one time fee to the University. Not sure if this is the same situation or not.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:09 pm

Last year when the Seahawks started using the phrase "12th man" Texas A & M got upset because they had registered the phrase, who know when...got resolved ..as I remember ...with the Seahawks paying A an M something.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:19 pm

Heck. We have 2 Bulldogs teams in the same collegiate conference.

Just silliness. :roll:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:35 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of these schools are public universities. Us taxpayers fund them. And it's the same for high schools. So, since they're both getting money from the government/citizens, then they shouldn't have a problem with a HS using the name.

Imagine Little League baseball if all the ball clubs started charging licensing fees.

This is ridiculous.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:43 pm

openSkies wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of these schools are public universities. Us taxpayers fund them. And it's the same for high schools. So, since they're both getting money from the government/citizens, then they shouldn't have a problem with a HS using the name.

Imagine Little League baseball if all the ball clubs started charging licensing fees.

This is ridiculous.

I agree. Half the high schools in Ohio have names that are the same as college teams. Some are blatant rip offs (the fighting Irish) and some are more general (tigers). I believe Doss is right, it is probably more due to copy right infringement on the image instead of the name. It is still ridiculous. High schools aren't making money of the mascot's image and they are not remotely close to each other. Arizona State should chill.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:18 pm

What I was refering too in my post was not just using the name but also using the same uniform design and image of the mascot. K State has a trademark on the shape of the cat head they use....like most Universities do. If you want to use it you have to pay.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:00 am

Dossenator wrote:What I was refering too in my post was not just using the name but also using the same uniform design and image of the mascot. K State has a trademark on the shape of the cat head they use....like most Universities do. If you want to use it you have to pay.

That is what I was refering to when I said image.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:00 am

....It is insanity.....most business....would love to have their logo on the uniform....as a matter of fact..some pay for that......I would think a college would want a bunch of younger teams using their logo......

but.........little league teams in this area are not allowed to use the Mariners........what is the definition of fascism, anyway?
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:00 am

huh?

Here in Tallahassee, the Florida High school Seminoles play...and they also call themselves the Noles. They wear garnet and gold with gold helmets. No problemo.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

wvjohn
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby wvjohn » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:12 am

Well I went to school at Crum High School Class of 89 before (Crum and Fort Gay High Vikings combined to make Tolsia High Rebels)and we were called Crum High School Mountaineers (The Mounties,Big Blue) and had no problems with WVU. And our colors where also Blue & Gold, and the Mascot had the gun too.
Last edited by wvjohn on Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big 12

FEAR NONE RESPECT ALL

IT IS A GREAT DAY TO BE A MOUNTAINEER WHERE EVER YOU MAY BE

Vileborg
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Vileborg » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:31 pm

I saw the story on the local news, but here is a link to a written version of the story complete with their differing logo's.

http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=7152795

Return to “General Discussion”