Petrino

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Petrino

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:32 am

That is correct. If the schools let the boosters and alumni run the sports program, someone will eventually take of control of running the athletics programs. Winning is the goal of the coaches and teams, maybe even the AD, but the president of the university should have loftier goals. Sports programs are 1st. and foremost an opportunity for a prospective student, that is gifted athletically, to get an education. Nothing else is promised - or should be promised. It isn't different then any other scholarship awarded for any other reason. Fans can not run dictate the worth of a program because fans have very different goals.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:29 pm

Petrino is piece of work all right!

I listened to his speech at Arkansas..."I'm home" (uh huh..yeah, that rung with sincerity)..

Petrino's past shows that he has no home, no loyalty, it's just a business...so, that ain't bad just don't lie to the fans about "coming home"..."wanting to run through the "A"."

After his first year at Louisville, Pitino was negotiating with Auburn to replace Tuberville.
After his second, he interviewed for Notre Dame, and had discussions with Florida and Mississippi.

On a December 7th, he pledged his loyalty to Louisville, and signed an extension on the 21st. Then five days later, he interviewed for the LSU job to replace Saban.

2005, interviewed with the Raiders.

2006, in July, he signed a new pact with Louisville, for 10 years and 25 million dollars, and insisted the deal contain a buyout. Five months later, he was hired by the Falcons.

2007, ...

Yep...Petrino is now home...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:36 pm

Reading what the Falcons, including the owner, has to say makes you wonder what Arkansas was thinking.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:01 pm

fluiddude wrote:
donovan wrote:Reading what the Falcons, including the owner, has to say makes you wonder what Arkansas was thinking.

I hear ya. I'm thinking he might have been a better fit at Washington. :roll:

Unfortunately.....so do I...I am so ticked....I thought we had this figured out; but we do not.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:28 pm

billybud wrote:Petrino is piece of work all right!

I listened to his speech at Arkansas..."I'm home" (uh huh..yeah, that rung with sincerity)..

Petrino's past shows that he has no home, no loyalty, it's just a business...so, that ain't bad just don't lie to the fans about "coming home"..."wanting to run through the "A"."

After his first year at Louisville, Pitino was negotiating with Auburn to replace Tuberville.
After his second, he interviewed for Notre Dame, and had discussions with Florida and Mississippi.

On a December 7th, he pledged his loyalty to Louisville, and signed an extension on the 21st. Then five days later, he interviewed for the LSU job to replace Saban.

2005, interviewed with the Raiders.

I agree. But at least Arkansas knows what they got when they hired him. If he does something of this sort again they can't say anything.

2006, in July, he signed a new pact with Louisville, for 10 years and 25 million dollars, and insisted the deal contain a buyout. Five months later, he was hired by the Falcons.

2007, ...

Yep...Petrino is now home...

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:13 pm

Spence wrote:I feel bad for the real Arkansas fans, like RH and Doss, but Petrino is what the ones who ran Nutt out deserve. I'm not saying that Nutt shouldn't have had a job review at the end of the season or that he should have remained the coach, based on performance. Just that no program should be pubically rolled through the mud by it's "fans".

I don't think Petrino will win at Arkansas. Players don't play for a guy who isn't behind them. Petrino only serves himself.

Not sure why you would not classify me as a "REAL" Arkansas Fan? I attended the U of A, and usually will travel to 1 or 2 games a year, while living in Florida. I once drove approx 500 miles, one way, to watch a Razorback game on television. (And yes, Texas and Earl Campbell beat us again) I have been a scholarship donor for over 20 years. Is it because I did not like Houston Nutt, that makes me not a fan? I was a fan of the Nutt up until the fiasco the past couple of years.
Oh, and BTW, I did not have anything to do with running Nutt out of town.

I really did not want Petrino as coach. I was hoping for Butch Davis. After he was not available, I felt the best choice was Will Muschamp from Auburn.

I consider myself a huge Arkansas fan and will be in support of the new coach, unless his future action prove him not worthy of my support.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:18 pm

I was refering to the fans who went to great lengths to force the hand of the university. Not people who did not like him. I believe you or any fan has a right to question is abilities as a coach and have an opinion that he should not be coach. That is what I refered to as real fans. The others who tried to undermine him and drag the school through the mud in the process are not real fans IMO. It had nothing to do whether you wanted Nutt to stay or you wanted him gone.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:46 am

Seems to me a re-reading of the posts puts the above comments in accurate perspective.

1. There are plenty of posts saying Nutt was not a good coach..all from Arkansas fans.

2. I saw no evidence, maybe there was, that Nutt cheated on his wife. So a lot of dribble about phone calls that may or may not have been proper, most all spurred by sophomoric, immature, vile, capricious gossipmongers.

3. Saw a lot of comments on how Nutt was well liked by the players and had a great perspective why they were in school and how football played into that scheme.

4. Saw an administration that lied about his dismissal, lied about the circumstances and conditions.

5. Saw a football program with great potential that could not get any "top flight" coaches to even talk to them, including past coaches that had expressed desires to be part of the program.

6. Saw a coach selected that if you read the Atlanta Journal reports fits right in with the Administration of Arkansas.

You have your coach...good..hope he does well, hope the program is what it should be. That is what is important about football in relationship to a university.

The facts before and after the fact indicate in my opinion that Mr. Fluiddue and Mr. Spence had it 100% correct.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:05 am

Hogwild wrote:Let me post a couple quotes that I absoulutely loved:

Fluiddude: Who wants the Arkansas Job? Apparently nobody. This is looking to be turning into a major embarassment for the school...

Spence: Arkansas is going to have more problems for Michigan. After what happened to Nutt who would want to deal with that?

Apparently an NFL coach decided he wanted to coach Arkansas bad enough that he took a 2 mil/yr paycut. Did I also mention that that the same coach went like 40/7 at Louisville changing them from a basketball school to a nationally recognized football name? I'm not trying to be a jerk but I'm sick of hearing people talking about how great Nutt was and how we'd never get a better coach. Now we have a coach that completely out of Nutt's league and yet the new coach isnt loyal enough for you. Let's do the math. Nutt cheats on his wife but Petrino doesnt honor a couple contracts. I'm thinking the lesser of those two evils goes in the favor or Petrino. I'll take a coach of Petrino's caliber regardless of his past because when push comes to shove, hes no more disloyal than Nutt but hes a far better coach.

I never commented that Nutt was a great coach or that Nutt shouldn't have been released. I said that I thought Arkansas would have a hard time because of some of the stuff these boosters did to get rid of him. What these guys did to the program because of their hatred of Nutt is unimaginable. Lots of things wrong about what they did.

I wouldn't be celebrating Petrino just yet. He was clearly over his head in the NFL and he jumped ship and hung his team out to dry. He proved himself to not be trusted when he says anything. Now he has to get parents to trust their kids with him for four years. Good luck with that.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:49 am

Spence wrote: Now he has to get parents to trust their kids with him for four years. Good luck with that.

...Absolutely....in some percentage...maybe 98% it is the parents that have to be convinced, not the player...heck they want to go to them all, every phone call and the kid is proclaims at the dinner table he has changed his mind....and this starts when they are Sophomores.......there are a 100 players on a team...maybe one of two of them have a clue when they are in High School....If the parents can not trust a school, feel confident their son is going to be well taken care of and get an education....not happening......you doubt that...go sit with the parents in their section of any football game...both schools will have parents in the same section and ask them......going to be a tough road for Arkansas in my opinion....but...a year of honesty can go a long way to remedying a problem....The University of Washington thought it would take four years to get back on track....with their shenanigans recently...they are not even on track to do that.....

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:29 am

There is so much parity in college football - so many good programs and schools to play for - that coaches like Petrino and Saban should encounter questions from recruits and their parents pertaining to those coach's credibility and reputation. Recruits and parents should ask themselves "why would I put my trust in you when I can look over here or over there instead?" Rich Rodriguez will probably not incur the same kind of scrutiny by Michigan recruits because he really hasn't damaged his repuation as badly, they will expect that he's found an ideal job and will be around for awhile. After all, Michigan doesn't have the reputation of changing coaches very often. West Virginia may have a tougher time convincing recruits to still come there, but that will depend on who they are able to land as a successor to Rodriguez.
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:22 pm

Petrino landed his first verbal commit at Arkansas. It is a QB from Tyler Wilson of Greenwood Arkansas. Wilson had committed to Gus Malzhan at Tulsa but withdrew his commit when Petrino offered him a scholarship. Wilson also had scholarship offers from LSU, Nebraska, and many other schools.

Tyler Wilson's numbers his last two seasons in High School:
Junior year: 294 completions, 4,203 passing yards, 50 passing TD's (68% completion rate)
Senior year: 294 completions, 3,939 passing yards, 43 passing TD's (62% completion rate)

This is the type of QB that fits Petrino's offensive style. Ark also has Jim Youngblood coming in (many have compared him to Tim Tebow).

The rumor is that Michigan QB Mallet may transfer because he does not fit Rodriguez's style on offense. Mallet is from Texarkana, Arkansas. The rumor is he could transfer to Arkansas. I heard Kirk Hebrstreit say that he should transfer to Ark because he doubted that Mallet would get much playing time at Michigan....especially if Michigan lands this mobil QB (can't remember his name at the time).

Anyway, good to be back on the board. I just got my interent up and running after a big move.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:33 pm

Dossenator wrote:Petrino landed his first verbal commit at Arkansas. It is a QB from Tyler Wilson of Greenwood Arkansas. Wilson had committed to Gus Malzhan at Tulsa but withdrew his commit when Petrino offered him a scholarship. Wilson also had scholarship offers from LSU, Nebraska, and many other schools.

Tyler Wilson's numbers his last two seasons in High School:
Junior year: 294 completions, 4,203 passing yards, 50 passing TD's (68% completion rate)
Senior year: 294 completions, 3,939 passing yards, 43 passing TD's (62% completion rate)

This is the type of QB that fits Petrino's offensive style. Ark also has Jim Youngblood coming in (many have compared him to Tim Tebow).

The rumor is that Michigan QB Mallet may transfer because he does not fit Rodriguez's style on offense. Mallet is from Texarkana, Arkansas. The rumor is he could transfer to Arkansas. I heard Kirk Hebrstreit say that he should transfer to Ark because he doubted that Mallet would get much playing time at Michigan....especially if Michigan lands this mobil QB (can't remember his name at the time).

Anyway, good to be back on the board. I just got my interent up and running after a big move.

Welcome back. It is amazing how ESPN had a big story on the Cornerback from Houston, TX decommitting and going to BC, but no mention of anything positive.

Not that it is not possible, but I don't think Mallet will transfer to Arkansas. Hope I am wrong though.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:10 am

I know Razorhawk....ESPN is just killing me. I almost can't listen to them. I read today that Petrino has contacted every kid that has a verbal commit to Ark and all but the one has said they are still commited to Ark, and he added the QB that I mentioned above. I think the Hogs will be fine. They have a very solid group coming in. Hopefully, Petrino can land a couple of more quality guys and make this a very special class. We have 3 in state O-lineman coming and all could compete for playing time their freshman year: Hall (6'10", 320 pounds....don't remeber the names of the others but one is 6'8" and the other is 6'6" and both weigh over 300 pounds....all three can move well). We have a couple of WR's that will get a lot of playing time coming in: one is Cruz Williams from Camden. Also, the Camden running back, De'Anthony Curtis is going to be something special I think. We also have a running back coming in from the Houston area. What makes me more excited about anything is the defensive players coming in. Several DB's, Linebackers, and D-lineman.......lots of speed and size. Don't know if Petrino was the right hire but we will find out next year. I am not saying he has to win every game but the team should be competetive. I am willing to give him time to get his players in. I think it would be huge if he could talk Felix Jones in staying for his senior year....I also read that Remington Award Winning Center Luigs says that he will more then likely return for his senior year (even though Mel Kiper says he would be a 1st day selection).

I am also pumped aobut the cotton bowl and watching McFadden play in his final Razorback game. Go Hogs!
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:49 am

Long time no Dossenator! Good to see you have still been in the Ark-Loop!

Petrino will win, he'll never be my man of the year. He doesn't pull off the old look, but he hates to lose like Bryant, Lombardi, and Parcells...when I see him I see a guy who can't sleep for 12 or 13 days after a loss. I think he'd drive players like stank cattle he didn't own to get to a bar to drink liquor he didn't have to pay for if they lose! No facts here, just a perception!

Often times winning is how much want it...and when you want it bad enough other start really wanting it too. Before a winner like that comes around, some people just think they really want to win. I think too often people see a "Wall Street" persona when they think winner...sometimes it is more of a blacksmith.

No way I'd bet against him!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Return to “General Discussion”