Favorite Signs at Games...your favorite

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Favorite Signs at Games...your favorite

Postby billybud » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:09 pm

We all have seen humorous signs at the game...

My favorite...when FSU's Chris Weinke was quarterbacking against Florida's QB, Doug Johnson.

"OUR WEINKE IS BIGGER THAN YOUR JOHNSON"

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:27 pm

I remember my father telling me about one back in the days... Apparently the Miami Dolphins had gone to New England for a play-off game, and it was snowing like mad. Field goal after field goal was missed, as the kickers kept falling all over the place. So with limited time remaining, the Patriots set-up for the final field goal of the game. However, before they kicked, a snow-plow was brought onto the field to clear the area for the kicker. The kick was up, and good.

The next year the Patriots came to Miami for a game, and someone held up a sign that said "Play on our grass and we'll plow your _ _ _".

//

My favorite that I've seen recently was at a Duke game this past year. Virginia Tech had come to town, and brought nearly the entire campus with them. The stands were about 80% full of Hokie fans, and one sign read "Welcome to [strikeout]Durham[/strikeout] Blacksburg". Sorry, but phpBB doesn't allow you to strikeout text, so just pretend it's there, haha.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:40 pm

Can't remember team...but camera focuses on a big sign...picture of possum

"PLAY DEAD AT HOME, GET KILLED ON THE ROAD"

At LSU/Miami

I"M GLAD I'M NOT U

&

Came as a Hurricane
Left as a Depression

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:31 am

I've seen some good ones at Morgantown, but I've must confess my all time favorite (most humorous) came fro the boys down in Blacksburg at Virginia Tech.

Virginia Military Institute (VMI) , in Lexington, Virginia, was a male only military school. The Virginia State Legislature mandated that the school accept female students. This created quite a stir in both the social and political arenas.

After all the haggling, fiery speeches, activist group rallies, laws being past, court decisions, etc, etc, the guys at VT came up with a T-shirt that read:

Front side - Good grief .... Women at VMI

Back side - What's next ... Men at UVA?

:lol: :D :lol:

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:49 pm

My wife is a Texan and, like Texans, a curator of all things Texan....she won't let you forget that Rock and Roll was birthed in Lubbock with Buddy Holly (he was only three years out of Lubbock High when he died.

And....where else but Lubbock would you find a business named "We Grow Trees"....

http://www.wegrowtrees.com/
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:57 pm

I thought Lubbock Had No Trees? :lol:

Those Texans can sure be boastful........isn't that right, Yeofoot? :lol: But, it ain't braggin' if it's true.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:18 pm

That Will Be The Day, billybud .... and don't forget the Crickets. 8)

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:59 am

MECU...I know you are a young dude, but us oldtimers remember when shade was a commodity in Lubbock...you could charge for it by the hour.

Mountainman...and Waylon Jennings played bass for Buddy before the plane went down..Waylon than was a DJ in Lubbock for awhile after the crash....Waylon's first single, Jolie Blon, was produced by Buddy...

I once saw Waylon perform, before he was big, in a little club that held about 50.

I was on liberty, I know I heard Waylon sing "Ruby, don't take your love to town" in 1967 (it was a time in my life that I remember well)...several years before Kenny Rogers covered it and made it a hit.
Last edited by billybud on Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:04 am

I grew up 45 miles north of Lubbock in a town called Plainview. I'm not making this up I swear:

Plainview was founded because there were two hackberry trees there. So the town got settled there. Seriously, my hometown was settled because there were two trees there. There are historical markers on those two trees.

More Lubbock facts: They get waaaayyyy carried away with the Buddy Holly thing, Buddy's widow has even gotten tired of every three days, Lubbock wants to use his name for something different.

They do not sell beer inside the city limits, you have to drive out to "the strip", it looks like a mini-Vegas, all neon liquor stores all on one section of the interstate.

They have a statue of Will Rogers on his horse, and if a virgin ever graduates from Tech, he is going to ride off into the sunset.

A girl I went to high school with was in the Girls of the Big 12 pictorial, she was one of the chicks that was covered up though.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:37 am

Yeofoot...I married the daughter of a Texas tractor mechanic (who moved around a lot) who grew up in the small towns of west and central Texas...Brownwood, Pecos, Abilene, San Angelo, Harkeyville.

Her family has been in Texas since they were fighting off Commanches...she is a willowy blonde with blue eyes and high cheek bones (Commanche GGrandmother). Her brothers are die hard Aggie fans...wiry, sun dark, hard men who wear their worn boots and jeans like they were born to them. They used to terrify me when we would go out to a bar...I never knew when the fists would fly, only that they could at any minute. They have the whole underdog thing going with Tea Sippers from Texas...big city guys in new (anything built in the last 20 years) trucks..

And rural Texans drink crappy beer and proclaim it to be ambrosia...Lone Star and Pearl are not good beers...but don't tell it to a Texan unless you have a head start.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:01 am

And...in West Texas...any shrub taller than a man is "tree".

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:26 pm

Yeah, Aggies and Longhorns are like Hatfields and McCoys there in the Lone Star state. I can say that Lone Star beer is crappy, but a non-Texan never should. People fight in Texas wwwaaaayyy too often. I call it the ____ or fight disease when guys are drunk. If they aren't taking a girl home, they want to fight a guy.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:28 pm

I did not know that, billybud. The story about the song Ruby was news to me too. Seems as if Wille and Wylon have a little more in common than being labeled Outlaws ..... Patsy Cline made a huge hit out of one of Wille's songs .... Crazy.

I still listen to Pasty ...... great voice. Don't know if there will be another as good as she was ...... thought maybe Leann Rimes, she's got the voice, but the material and good songwriters, like Willie and Wylon, are few and far between.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:41 pm

David Allen Coe is my favorite of the old-school song writers. "If that ain't country" is the most well-written song I know of.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:53 pm

Hope this isn't too far off topic, we're talking about 'off color' signs.
Well, I didn't see a sign, at the 1994 Fiesta Bowl, but there was an 'off color' Arizona fan, in attendance.
Anyway, he was likely inebriated (his conduct seemed to suggest as much).
Miami, hadn't won the Big East, but they still had a good team, I think Gino Toretta was still there, and they still had a bad reputation.

This guy wouldn't sit down the entire game, was obnoxious as all get out, and his cheering 'lines' such as they were, lacked substance, but they 'stuck'.

His 'favorite' was 'right down the middle'. Anyway, he was yelling it, and Candidate? (can't remember the spelling) ran it 70 yards 'right down the middle'. It was hilarious for a number of reasons.

Another one of his 'cheers' was 'Zero!' yelled at the top of his lungs. Miami didn't score a point that game. Finally, the one that put everyone 'over the top' was his trademark, which goes as follows:

(you have to have the proper intonation, to do it right)

YOU! and YOU! and YOU & YOU & YOU! People actually started copying it, if you can believe it. Security tried to remove him, but there was such an outcry from the stands, (on his behalf) they actually let him come back (provided he didn't lead the cheering). Arizona beat Miami 28-0. One for the ages.

Return to “General Discussion”