Suggestions

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Suggestions

Postby Yeofoot » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:33 am

This is the thread that we throw out ideas to make the CFP official poll as good as possible. I plead of you, no shooting down others ideas. That will only discourage crazy ideas. If someone shoots down an idea, ignore it. Everyone just write down ideas, if any of the Admin or Moderators want to elaborate, bite your tongue, er finger, and PM them. Just throw out ideas. Mine are:

1. Post the most average rankings alongside the official rankings(most in sync with the aggregate vote)

2. Post the best comments from each group next to the ranking, i.e. irish88 has a really witty comment about #18 Clemson, have his quote next to it, kinda as an explanation why they're #18

3. Talk about how great UT is

See, #3 is just lame, but when you think "man, that's lame", don't type it, just add something you think is a good idea, when people go on tangents, ignore them, and just skip down to what you want to say

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:45 am

Not to shoot down your ideas or anything :wink: but uh...

The voting program will do this, and only this:

(A) Log your vote
(B) Average the votes of all voters
(C) Output the average

=]

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:48 am

let me know this Jupiter, what is your short term, and what is your long term goal for the CFP rankings?

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:19 am

... Have fun. That's basically it, really. Also as a marketing tool to get more people to join the board, as well as a way to say "Hey, AP, our board members put together a better poll than you can, so go shove it" or something like that.

Haha =]

colorado_loves_football

Re: Suggestions

Postby colorado_loves_football » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:30 pm

Yeofoot wrote:This is the thread that we throw out ideas to make the CFP official poll as good as possible. I plead of you, no shooting down others ideas. That will only discourage crazy ideas. If someone shoots down an idea, ignore it. Everyone just write down ideas, if any of the Admin or Moderators want to elaborate, bite your tongue, er finger, and PM them. Just throw out ideas.
Correct me if I'm wrong, there should only be ten voters.
It could be done similarly to how the AP is done, or in other words, assign a point 'value' to each ranking.
I like how the AP does it's ranking, myself, but obviously with a lot more voters.
I'm not sure I like the idea of having 'official' voters, but it's too late to complain now (:()
Either way, I think it could be 'fun' as long as nobody takes it too seriously.
Ranking is automatically 'subjective'. What one person 'thinks' typically doesn't correlate with anohter's, and that's a good thing, in my estimation.
If the object is to make it 'fun', then I think there should be some kind of 'reward' set-up where the individual with the most 'accurate' ranking, gets recognized (it shouldn't be too hard).
If the object is to make this an 'official' ranking, then we should all take it seriously enough, so that the 'final' result has some substantiability to it.
In other words, I hope each 'official' voter will be as 'fair' as possible, otherwise it will likely 'skew' the entire poll.

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:27 pm

[quote="MECU"]4. Display all votes.[quote]

That is the plan thus far =] Not right off the bat, but once we see that it's working and is legitimate enough.

As long as we don't have Notre Dame seeded to win the Nat'l Championship like one (unnamed) pre-season magazine did, we should be good haha.

No offense Irish88! It's just that they haven't even won a bowl in... how many years now?

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:34 pm

zero for last 8......and going for the record.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:31 pm

irish88 wrote:ouch . . that hurt . . this could be the year to finally win a bowl game . really hoping it's a BIG bowl game . .
That's what scares me about Notre Dame.
Do you think Charlie Weis want to be listed in the books as the coach that took the Irish to a record bowl loss?
This could be their year to win it all.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:53 pm

Maybe this time we'll get their linebacker blocked ..... Stonebreaker got too clean a shot on Harris. :?

Harris lost it during that game .... didn't even look like the same team we watched all year ....... the swing route to the running back was so wide open he would have walked into the endzone ...... that one still haunts me. :x

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:08 pm

I re-play that game in my mind over and over and over. Doesn't seem that long ago, but it was. I'll take that one to my grave ..... and beyond hopefully. :lol:

Hey, irish88 .... do you recall the play Tony Rice made when the Mountaineer defense appeared to have him in backfield and he broke a tackle and sealed the win for the Irish with a great run?

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:18 pm

O. heck, irish88 .... memories and 'running off' is a great part of the game, as I'm sure you know ...... enjoy every minute of it. :lol:

I agree with you on Tony Rice, not the most athletic, but one of those guys that's a winnner and makes a team better. I love those kind of players.

Major Harris left WVU at the end of his junior year. He was drafted by the Raiders, if I recall correctly, but ended up in the Canadian Football League. Long story about his lets say, colorful, career in Morgantown .... things didn't quite work out the way he envisioned after he left. Afterwards, Coach Nehlen took him under his wing, gave him a job, Harris re-enrolled and got his degree.

Gotta' love those coaches like Don Nehlen.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:41 am

openSkies wrote:... Have fun. That's basically it, really. Also as a marketing tool to get more people to join the board, as well as a way to say "Hey, AP, our board members put together a better poll than you can, so go shove it" or something like that.

Haha =]

I hate the AP!! :D
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:44 am

Notre Lame.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Im gonna steal that.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Return to “General Discussion”