Phil Steele's Preseaon Power Poll 2006..Top 25

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Phil Steele's Preseaon Power Poll 2006..Top 25

Postby billybud » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:55 pm

Phil Steele's magazine has been ranked #1 in the category of Prediction Accuracy (of the football mags) the last seven straight years.

This is Phil's 2006 preseason take on power ranking based on his power ratings:

1..Oklahoma
2..Texas
3..USC
4..Ohio State
5..Notre Dame
6..Auburn
7..Michigan
8..California
9..FSU
10..Florida
11..Miami
12..Arkansas
13..LSU
14..Louisville
15..Tennessee
16..Virginia Tech
17..Iowa
18..Clemson
19..Oregon
20..Georgia
21..Nebraska
22..Penn State
23..Texas Tech
24..West Virginia
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:11 pm

After reading Steele......

BE...he has Louisville winning the Big East but he has Pitt vieing with WVU for #2...He has Pitt as being better than I had expected.

SEC..he has Tennessee as the strongest in the East...Tennessee vs Auburn as probable in CCG. (The Vols rebounding better than I have 'em)

B-10...has Ohio State out front and Michgan as #2 and Iowa as a solid #3...he says almost equal to the Wolverines.

ACC...Miami #1 Coastal...FSU #1 Atlantic...

B-12...South...Oklahoma #1, Texas #2
..........North...Nebraska #1..Colorado #2
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:56 pm

Wow, it's bold of them to have WVU so low, when all the other preseason polls have them so fricking high. Time bomb ticking...Where's TCU?

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:11 pm

Actually, Arkansas was the one that jumped out at me as well...but note, these ranlings are different from his top 40 rankings...these rankings come from the application of Steele's seven power formula's (whatever they are) and is just a reflection of his idea of the relative power of teams...

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:58 pm

No non-BCS school in the top 24? I'd be willing to bet that when the season concludes there will be at least one (and likely more) non-BCS school ranked in the top 25.

It seems like leaving out non-BCS schools is a common theme with a lot (not all) of the various preseason rankings and polls. That puts those schools behind the eight ball before the season even starts since so many ratings systems base their weekly ratings at least somewhat on how they had a team ranked the previous week.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:04 pm

Well, pre-season rating are pre-season ratings and I suppose they are a tribute to the accomplishments of last year's team, returning talent and tradition, but TCU and Utah, based on what I'm reading look pretty darn good as top 25 candidates. :?

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:54 pm

Again...he is not issuing a Top 25...just a "most powerful" 25.

I think he is saying that a Penn State (#22), WVU (#24), Texas Tech, Nebraska, Georgia. etc...are stonger.

How many of the following would you give points to if they were playing TCU?

1..Oklahoma
2..Texas
3..USC
4..Ohio State
5..Notre Dame
6..Auburn
7..Michigan
8..California
9..FSU
10..Florida
11..Miami
12..Arkansas
13..LSU
14..Louisville
15..Tennessee
16..Virginia Tech
17..Iowa
18..Clemson
19..Oregon
20..Georgia
21..Nebraska
22..Penn State
23..Texas Tech
24..West Virginia

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:13 pm

Oh, so that's what he's doing. What in the world is that anyway? :?

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:13 pm

rolltide wrote:That list looks a little shaky to me. Ark. #12??

Yeah...I about spewed coke everywhere after reading that....

Georgia at 20???

NO WAY!!! Florida and Tenn. are too high. IMO
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:57 pm

Steele does take a good look..

TCU...won 5 games last year by a TD or less...Steele's theory is that TCU was lucky and should have ost a couple of these...it's kind of like flipping heads or tails..you can get a streak but the law of averages will catch you.
TCU's record looked good..but they were lucky.

Clemson...Clemson lost their close games..two in OT, one by 1 point, and one by three points...Clemson was better than the record showed.

Now..Arkansas...Arkansas rushed for 100 more yards against Bama's good defense thatn any other team....held a 216 yrd-52 rushing edge against #3 Georgia and lost by 3...missed two FG's and a failed two point conversion and lost to a tough LSU by 2 points...led S. Carolina 10-7 and had a 356-187 yard edge only to lose at the end. bArkansas was better than the record shows.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:01 pm

The question was...How many would you give points to against TCU?

I think Steele is saying, there is a difference between polls and the actual strength of teams...and he thinks TCU isn't as strong as the teams that he has listed...and I can't find one that I'd put any serious money on TCU playing straight up...not even Arkansas (who played LSU within 2 points and Georgia within 3).

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:30 am

You know, I was experimenting on top 25 polls for myself to find the one that looks best to me, and I tried to get Utah in there, but I couldn't rank them ahead of Virginia Tech, Tennessee, Texas Tech, and Michigan who are the bottom 4 of my top 25 poll. Of course, with the discussions about to take place, that could change. I just wanted to make something to get an idea of where I thought the teams stood by organization.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re:

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:40 pm

Phil Steele doesn't just give a prediction of a power 25. He also gives his pridictions for each of the 119 teams' season, where they'll finish in conference, and who's going to what bowl game.

Here are Phil Steele's Bowl predictions:

GMAC Bowl
Tulsa vs N Illinois

MPC Computers Bowl
Wake Forest vs Fresno St

Emerald Bowl
Virginia vs Arizona

Poinsettia Bowl
San Diego St vs Navy

New Mexico Bowl
BYU vs Nevada

Birmingham Bowl
Southern Mississippi vs Connecticut

International Bowl
Rutgers vs Kent St

Houston Bowl
Iowa St vs USF

Fort Worth Bowl
UTEP vs TCU

New Orleans Bowl
UCF vs Louisiana Lafayette

Meineke Car Care Bowl
Boston College vs West Virginia

Champs Sports Bowl
Purdue vs Maryland

Insight Bowl
Michigan St vs Missouri

Motor City Bowl
Toledo vs Wisconsin

Las Vegas Bowl
Utah vs Oregon

Hawaii Bowl
Washington St vs Hawaii

Independence Bowl
South Carolina vs Kansas St

Music City Bowl
Florida vs Georgia Tech

Liberty Bowl
Houston vs Alabama

Sun Bowl
Arizona St vs Pittsburgh

Alamo Bowl
Colorado vs Penn St

Chick-fil-A Bowl
LSU vs Florida St

Holiday Bowl
Texas A&M vs California

Outback Bowl
Gerogia vs Michigan

Gator Bowl
Clemson vs Nebraska

Cotton Bowl
Texas Tech vs Arkansas

Capital One Bowl
Iowa vs Tennessee

Fiesta Bowl
Notre Dame vs Louisville

Sugar Bowl
Texas vs Virginia Tech

Orange Bowl
Miami vs Boise St

Rose Bowl
USC vs Ohio St

2006 BSC National Title Game
Oklahoma vs Auburn

I'd say it is safe to assume that Steele's power 25 is his ideal top 25.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:49 pm

Hard to predict bowls this early...that's a real flyer.

Meineke Bowl...WVU?...oh gawd Phil..don't travel through West Virginia without a fake ID.

The FSU/LSU prediction would be a tough game...I certainly have no problem with Phil calling for Miami to win the ACC...but then to play Boise in the Orange? Get outa here! LOL

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Not the case at all, billybud, I know you are just kidding ... at least I think I know that. :D

Look we Mountaineers fans are well aware, that the Mountaineers are replacing the entire defensive backfield, save one, and a very good nose tackle on the defensive side. Also on the offensive side a couple of stud tackles. We also know that with the #2 quarterback going in for surgery that will cost him this coming season, that the back-ups, both of them, for Pat White have never taken a snap in a college game. Not to mention that behind Steve Salton an nothing but inexperienced players.

There's no certainty that the Mountaineers won't have injuries at some key spots that will result in a disappointing season. But, that can happen to anybody ..... just part of the game.

Return to “General Discussion”