WV v Marshall

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Dossenator

WV v Marshall

Postby Dossenator » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:09 pm

West Virginia's in trouble. Marshall is leading 14-3 deep into the 2nd quarter. WV is having trouble blocking the d line of Marshall.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: WV v Marshall

Postby WoVeU » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:43 pm

Doc has them stacking the box and is out coaching them. Penalties have killed the Eers. But you will see WVU drop the hammer and attack the Marshall Offense the next few possessions. Then establishing that...they will likely bait them into throwing into a zone covered slot.

WVU is also setting up the kill off hash screens and outside runs to counter the over-stcked box. The 2nd half will be much different. Marshall will need to connect on a couple of deep shots to keep them in the game. But Doc will look to do that, I will be interested to see how the Eers use their Safeties.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:47 pm

Noel has not made 1 good decision all game, at the decision points with the ball, not one! He has plenty of yards, but should have nearly twice as many! :roll:
He has even looked indecisive enough to look slow!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:44 pm

WV does not look good at all. They have some offensive line issues....no pass protection, can't run block to pick up 1 yard when needed, etc. I keep thinking WV is going to flex some muscles but it's just not happening. They are running out of time.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:58 pm

1. Glad Eric did not put this game on the list
2. Marshall looks good. Seem to be well coached and they are staying poised.
3. WV looks the opposite.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:08 pm

Where did West Virginia learn to tackle?

Not sure they improved their position...but a determined comeback. Good win.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:03 pm

Doc brought a good scheme. As I told the kids, he pulled my favorite for most of the 1st half. Attack the O-line, if someone with the ball gets near you go ahead and tackle the guy! He was in their head, and at the same time refused to let WV use 2/3 of the box.

We'll see what the line is made out off, but I think Smith is the real deal at QB.

And this game has been trashy the last 3 years for the Eers, but this is the latest in the game that they have rallied.
R. Reagan

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:27 pm

Wow...I turned the channel when Marshall was up 21-6 halfway through the 4th quarter. I just saw WV won. How did that happen and why did I change the channel?

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:36 pm

Credit to Geno Smith and his pocket presence. But honestly, Marshall finally gave WVU a TO. And I think that helped DOc to think conservatively along with WVU starting to get around to the edge w/o a penalty. Then you had a 98 and 96 yard drives by the Eers and 2 point conversion. WVU @$$ed up in the OT on a stupid play, kicked the 30ish FG. Then Marshall did zip with the ball and the Parkersburg boy (having a long of only 37yards in his short career) stepped up to a 39 yarder and did what you might expect. Wide left, Bobby style, by a few inches! :D
R. Reagan

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:38 pm

How are you guys going to rank West Virginia this week? I think I had them 21st, but after a close call with Marshall and a lackluster offensive game against Coastal Carolina the week before, I'm not sure what to make of the 'Eers :?
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:48 pm

WoVeU wrote:Then Marshall did zip with the ball and the Parkersburg boy (having a long of only 37yards in his short career) stepped up to a 39 yarder and did what you might expect.

Musta though he was a Florida State Kicker playing a final down in Miami... :lol:

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Brian Roastbeef
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Brian Roastbeef » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:12 am

Eric wrote:How are you guys going to rank West Virginia this week? I think I had them 21st, but after a close call with Marshall and a lackluster offensive game against Coastal Carolina the week before, I'm not sure what to make of the 'Eers :?

That is a difficult thought. Do they deserve to be dropped for looking weak against a team the level of Marshall? Do they deserve respect for their fourth quarter comeback to tie the game? Obviously it depends on the performance of those around them. On my poll they are wedged between Penn State, who will either move up or down significantly and Iowa, who is facing their interstate rival. The teams below there, Arkansas, USC, Wisconsin, don't really have huge games in which they can really impress this week. Chances are they'll stay around where they are on my poll.

All I know is that if this is early season rust, then they had better straighten it out against Maryland next week. The team that played tonight would have trouble against LSU. Actually if the Maryland defense that they showed vs. Navy is for real, that could be interesting. The schedule always outs weak teams, even those with fairly strong preseason rankings. I still think they could have a decent season - their game vs. Coastal Carolina wasn't crazy bad - but they do need to get going from here on out...

CFP Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby CFP Admin » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:53 am

"Doc" lost this one for his boys. It drives me nuts when coaches switch from a game plan that worked for 3-1/2 quarters. Officials missed a crucial holding call in the endzone on WVU's last drive that would have given the Herd a safety and the ball on the kickoff.

Is it just me, or is officiating getting worse every year? I've been disgusted with what I've seen from them so far this season.

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:23 am

CFP Admin wrote:"Doc" lost this one for his boys. It drives me nuts when coaches switch from a game plan that worked for 3-1/2 quarters. Officials missed a crucial holding call in the endzone on WVU's last drive that would have given the Herd a safety and the ball on the kickoff.

Is it just me, or is officiating getting worse every year? I've been disgusted with what I've seen from them so far this season.

I don't think it is just you, but I think we are more aware of the missed officials calls, due to the number of cameras and the amount of games being televised.

Concerning the coaches that pull on the reins with a lead, most all do, but some get away with it and some don't. One of the best examples of that was Ole Miss last week versus Jax St, with a 31-10 halftime lead, Ole Miss managed to not hang on and came away with a big "L".
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:55 am

Officiating is not good. Unfortunately, the way to correct the problem is for the officials to throw a lot of flags, especially at the onset of the game. They can set the tone as what to allow. The holding was blatant. WVU last drive the official spotted the ball, the yard marker guy, who had moved back, then came forward and the official re spotted it for a first down.

Rules are too complicated, too much for officials to watch, especially when coaches push the envelope. Fans do not like the flags, TV absolutely does not want the delays. Go to a televised game...the official spends time almost every play looking at the TV director figuring out if it is all right to play.

Do what got you to where you wanted to be...the whole time... You mentally pump the kids up to do something..and then in the middle of the game you say...OK switch...how lame is that.

Return to “General Discussion”