Predictions 2021: Week Three

Confidence points, straight-up picks, and bragging rights.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Predictions 2021: Week Three

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:52 pm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, September 18

(1.) Nebraska - @ - Oklahoma --- [50th anniversary of the 1971 classic]
(2.) Cincinnati - @ - Indiana
(3.) Virginia Tech - @ - West Virginia --- [Black Diamond Trophy]
(4.) Michigan State - @ - Miami
(5.) Northern Illinois - @ - Michigan
(6.) Minnesota - @ - Colorado
(7.) Purdue - @ - Notre Dame --- [Shillelagh Trophy]
(8.) Alabama - @ - Florida --- [rivalry; no fancy name or trophy]
(9.) SMU - @ - Louisiana Tech
(10.) Mississippi State - @ - Memphis
(11.) Ball State - @ - Wyoming
(12.) Arkansas State - @ - Washington
(13.) ECU - @ - Marshall --- ["friendly" rivalry]
(14.) Utah - @ - San Diego State
(15.) Auburn - @ - Penn State
(16.) Virginia - @ - North Carolina --- [The South's Oldest Rivalry]
(17.) Utah State - @ - Air Force
(18.) Oklahoma State - @ - Boise State
(19.) Arizona State - @ - BYU
(20.) Fresno State - @ - UCLA

--- predictions will be accepted up to 12:00 noon EST Saturday Kickoff ---

Last edited by Cane from the Bend on Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Predictions 2021: Week Three

Postby Mountainman » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:10 pm

1. Oklahoma
2. Cincinnati
3. My heart tells me one thing while my head tells me another thing….. I’ll get back with you.

I just got off the phone with my friend, the Witch/Fortune Teller up in Fairmont. She works nights, as you could imagine……… I asked her about what she saw as the outcome of the VaTech game. She told me she’d have to mix-up some concoction with poke berries, frog eggs, ground-up bat wing and cat whiskers, blend in a little sulfur then pour it in a blender along with 2 cups of saw grass and cattail swamp water. Then blend it on low until Jupiter moved from the west side of the moon to the right side of the moon (about 45 minutes to an hour, based on the phase of the moon), then let it ferment until 11:45 pm tomorrow night in a hole, under a sandstone rock with a dog’s leg bone on top of the rock. She said to call her tomorrow night , after midnight, and she’d tell me what was revealed.

Well I spoke with Elvira and she said, “The signs show that the one who will be victorious will be revealed by the one with the most ancient fives.
darn, I hate it when she speaks in riddles……. but with no other choice I began to ponder her riddle, “the one with the most ancient fives”, and after a few minutes it hit me.

My #3 pick is ‘Rock ‘em, Sock ‘em, That’s our Custom, West, by god, Virginia!!!!!,
Let’s Gooooooooo Mountaineers!!!!!

4. Miami
5. Michigan
6. Minnesota
7. Notre Dame
8. Alabama
9. SMU
10. Memphis
11. Wyoming
12. Washington
13. Marshall…… Little Brother is pretty darn good
14. San Diego State
15. Penn State
16. North Carolina
17. Air Force
18. Okie State
19. BYU
20. UCLA
Last edited by Mountainman on Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:13 pm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(1.) Oklahoma --- [oh, but if doesn't happen ... it will ... but if it doesn't :lol: ]
(2.) Cincinnati --- [let's face it; Indiana's ranking was due to how they played OSU last year]
(3.) Virginia Tech --- [I dunno ... maybe ... but at least it's not Pitt, right MM]
(4.) Miami --- [last year I would have said this was a lock ... now I'll settle for the blinders]
(5.) Michigan --- [I'm honestly not so sure, here ... this very well could go the other way]
(6.) Colorado --- [the almost had `em, game ... 1 nearly beat OSU, the other A&M]
(7.) Purdue --- [ND has been flirting with disaster/the Boilermakers can score; we'll see]
(8.) Florida --- [no, it won't happen ... but we're only 2 weeks in, and it's been odd, so]
(9.) SMU --- [this one's hard to read ... not enough has happened, to gauge them]
(10.) Memphis --- [though, this could very well be a game in Leach's depth]
(11.) Wyoming --- [do the MWC/MAC have an agreement? This is 2 in a row for Wyoming]
(12.) Washington --- [though I'm not sold ... the Huskies need the win badly]
(13.) Marshall --- [you know ... what the hillbilly said]
(14.) San Diego State --- [but the Utes won't go down like Arizona ... it'll be a game]
(15.) Penn State --- [welcome War Eagle to Happy Valley ... I'll take the home team]
(16.) Virginia ---[like I said, odd year `n' all ... the Heels got burnt by 1 VA team already]
(17.) Air Force --- [this should be a really good game ... another home team pick]
(18.) Boise State --- [the Cowboys look deficient to me]
(19.) BYU --- [the quality of opponents is decent; and the Cougars have momentum]
(20.) UCLA --- [I honestly hesitated here ... Fresno is pretty darned good]

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:08 am

(1.) Oklahoma
(2.) Cincinnati
(3.) Virginia Tech
(4.) Michigan State
(5.) Michigan
(6.) Minnesota
(7.) Notre Dame
(8.) Alabama
(9.) SMU
(10.) Mississippi State
(11.) Wyoming
(12.) Washington
(13.) ECU
(14.) Utah
(15.) Auburn
(16.) North Carolina
(17.) Utah State
(18.) Oklahoma State
(19.) BYU
(20.) UCLA
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:05 pm

(1.) Oklahoma
(2.) Indiana
(3.) West Virginia
(4.) Miami
(5.) Michigan
(6.) Minnesota
(7.) Notre Dame
(8.) Alabama
(9.) SMU
(10.) Mississippi State
(11.) Wyoming
(12.) Washington
(13.) Marshall
(14.) Utah
(15.) Penn State
(16.) North Carolina
(17.) Air Force
(18.) Oklahoma State
(19.) Arizona State
(20.) UCLA
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:14 pm

Mountainman wrote:I just got off the phone with my friend, the Witch/Fortune Teller up in Fairmont. She works nights, as you could imagine……… I asked her about what she saw as the outcome of the VaTech game. She told me she’d have to mix-up some concoction with poke berries, frog eggs, ground-up bat wing and cat whiskers, blend in a little sulfur then pour it in a blender along with 2 cups of saw grass and cattail swamp water. Then blend it on low until Jupiter moved from the west side of the moon to the right side of the moon (about 45 minutes to an hour, based on the phase of the moon), then let it ferment until 11:45 pm tomorrow night in a hole, under a sandstone rock with a dog’s leg bone on top of the rock. She said to call her tomorrow night , after midnight, and she’d tell me what was revealed.

Well I spoke with Elvira and she said, “The signs show that the one who will be victorious will be revealed by the one with the most ancient fives.
darn, I hate it when she speaks in riddles……. but with no other choice I began to ponder her riddle, “the one with the most ancient fives”, and after a few minutes it hit me.

My #3 pick is ‘Rock ‘em, Sock ‘em, That’s our Custom, West, by god, Virginia!!!!!,

I'm gonna have to file a formal protest that you are using a witch doctor to pick these games!! :lol: HOW did you see that coming????

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:03 pm

Derek wrote:
Mountainman wrote:I just got off the phone with my friend, the Witch/Fortune Teller up in Fairmont. She works nights, as you could imagine……… I asked her about what she saw as the outcome of the VaTech game. She told me she’d have to mix-up some concoction with poke berries, frog eggs, ground-up bat wing and cat whiskers, blend in a little sulfur then pour it in a blender along with 2 cups of saw grass and cattail swamp water. Then blend it on low until Jupiter moved from the west side of the moon to the right side of the moon (about 45 minutes to an hour, based on the phase of the moon), then let it ferment until 11:45 pm tomorrow night in a hole, under a sandstone rock with a dog’s leg bone on top of the rock. She said to call her tomorrow night , after midnight, and she’d tell me what was revealed.

I'm gonna have to file a formal protest that you are using a witch doctor to pick these games!! :lol: HOW did you see that coming????

:lol: :lol: :lol: Hey Derek, I need all the help I can get!!!!!! You’d just love Elvira……. she’s a very attractive gal and a bit of a ‘tease’. She likes to answer in riddles, as evidenced in her most recent revelation.

Take this stuff about “ancient fives” when I asked her about the VPI and WVU game…….. she’s teasing me with an “ancient five” of her own that she knows I absolutely admire.

You see, the “ancient five” is the letter “V”, the Roman Numeral for the number 5. While Elvira’s ‘V’ runs from her collar bones down her chest and passes through her very luscious, well, you know……….. and as you can now realize, as I did, WVU has 3 V’s, with two making the W along with another V, while VPI has only one. :D :D :D
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:03 pm

Mountainman wrote:Take this stuff about “ancient fives” when I asked her about the VPI and WVU game…….. she’s teasing me with an “ancient five” of her own that she knows I absolutely admire.

You see, the “ancient five” is the letter “V”, the Roman Numeral for the number 5. While Elvira’s ‘V’ runs from her collar bones down her chest and passes through her very luscious, well, you know……….. and as you can now realize, as I did, WVU has 3 V’s, with two making the W along with another V, while VPI has only one.

Some number of years ago ... or a decade and a half, possibly plus more;

There were 3 Va Tech contributors to the old site.

One guy, who didn't exactly reveal his favored team, would give second hand back slap comments, that were not directly derogatory ... rather, merely less than flattering nit picky stuff, when ever he posted something about Virginia Tech. But always referred to them as; Virginia Polytechnic.

It was either Vileborg or Fanatic who would respond to that guy's comments. One time saying; "I don't know who your favorite team is. I assume that you're a West Virginia fan. Because they are the only ones who I know of that ever call us Virginia Polytechnic."

Mountainman ... you sure do make a case for his sentiments :lol:

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:16 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Mountainman wrote:Take this stuff about “ancient fives” when I asked her about the VPI and WVU game…….. she’s teasing me with an “ancient five” of her own that she knows I absolutely admire.

You see, the “ancient five” is the letter “V”, the Roman Numeral for the number 5. While Elvira’s ‘V’ runs from her collar bones down her chest and passes through her very luscious, well, you know……….. and as you can now realize, as I did, WVU has 3 V’s, with two making the W along with another V, while VPI has only one.

Some number of years ago ... or a decade and a half, possibly plus more;

There were 3 Va Tech contributors to the old site.

One guy, who didn't exactly reveal his favored team, would give second hand back slap comments, that were not directly derogatory ... rather, merely less than flattering nit picky stuff, when ever he posted something about Virginia Tech. But always referred to them as; Virginia Polytechnic.

It was either Vileborg or Fanatic who would respond to that guy's comments. One time saying; "I don't know who your favorite team is. I assume that you're a West Virginia fan. Because they are the only ones who I know of that ever call us Virginia Polytechnic."

Mountainman ... you sure do make a case for his sentiments :lol:

……..back in the day, VaTech and WVU was a fierce rivalry. If fact, to the folks living in the southern most part of the state and up the southeastern border the VPI/WVU Game was bigger than the Pitt/WVU rivalry. Morgantown and Blacksburg are less than 150 miles apart and it’s an absolute shame WVU, Pitt and VPI don’t play anymore often than they do.

The games were always intense and political correctness was not even a consideration…… I recall a standing put-down jab often used as a call-back to all the hillbilly and inbred stuff tossed around by the Hokie Fans……. Mountaineer Fans would ask, ‘What does a Polytechnic and a Prophylactic have in common?????? You’ll find Pricks in both of ‘em!!!!!!

………my goodness, those were the days when youth AND stupidity could result in a nose bleed!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:18 pm

Mountainman wrote:………my goodness, those were the days when youth AND stupidity could result in a nose bleed!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I miss the 80s :(

- John Madden

Return to “Picks”