ARk starts season #19 in AP poll...

A place to chat about that other college sport during the football off-season.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Dossenator

ARk starts season #19 in AP poll...

Postby Dossenator » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:37 pm

Ark starts season #19 in AP poll. They are picked by most to win the SEC West. They return all starters...that include SEC freshman of the year (Patrick Beverly) and SEC defensive player of the year (Steven Hill). Beverly played for the USA 19 and under team and was the teams most consitent player...he averaged more minutes a game then any other player and was among the leaders in several categories. He is a difference maker. The new coach: Pelphrey has a fire lit under this team. I am expecting a big year out of the Razorback b-ball team.

Ark's schedule can be seen here:
http://www.hogwired.com/SportSelect.dbm ... PSID=30748
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

BYUfan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: ARk starts season #19 in AP poll...

Postby BYUfan1 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:09 am

Dossenator wrote:Ark starts season #19 in AP poll. They are picked by most to win the SEC West. They return all starters...that include SEC freshman of the year (Patrick Beverly) and SEC defensive player of the year (Steven Hill). Beverly played for the USA 19 and under team and was the teams most consitent player...he averaged more minutes a game then any other player and was among the leaders in several categories. He is a difference maker. The new coach: Pelphrey has a fire lit under this team. I am expecting a big year out of the Razorback b-ball team.

It is nice to know we already have a candidate for the most overrated team in college basketball. Arkansas will not win the SEC West, Mississippi State will. Jamont Gordon is probably the best player in the SEC this year. The Bulldogs also have Charles Rhodes, Ben Hansbrough, Barry Stewart, and shot blocking star Jarvis Varnado back. Plus, they have Brian Johnson, a transfer from Louisville to give them more depth inside. Kodi Augustus is suppose to be an impact freshman at the forward position.
The critic is one who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
-- Oscar Wilde

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:25 pm

We will see. Ark has an inside presence second to almost no one in the country. Steven Hill has led the SEC in blocks the last two seasons (Hill is 7 foot and is joined by 3 other players 6'10" or taller....all extremely good). Ark has good gaurd play to go along with the inside game this year. Patrick Beverly is as good as anyone in the SEC. Ark's depth will hurt a lot of teams.

The players, this year, have been caught off gaurd at how hard Pelphrey works them out. Even the day before games he works them hard. Ark will go back to the Nolan Richardson days and use a full court press the entire game.

Lofton (Tenn) and Steele (Bama) are really good players as well. I will be glad to see Steele graduate...man that guy can shoot the ball.

Both the AP and Coaches preseason polls only rank 3 SEC teams: Tenn, Ark, Kentucky (in that order in all three polls). Of course pre season polls don't mean a thing. Pelphrey was asked about Ark ranking and their pick to win the SEC West...he said I don't pay attention to paper championships...you guys (the media) can but if we did why even play the games.

I guess we will find out soon enough.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:24 pm

Unfortunately, Arkansas has no point guard. Gary Ervin plays out of control most of the time. I do think the Hogs will be a decent team this year, and should be a fun team to watch.

I was at the Florida vs Stetson game last night and I don't think Florida will repeat. I do look for Tennessee to win the SEC. I sure wish Iowa had gotten Bruce Pearl as their coach.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Return to “College Basketball”