Next Four Years.....

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Next Four Years.....

Postby Derek » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:53 pm

WoVeU wrote:Buying American...I wish I could do more of, but what a task.

I only by GM cars. I know that they are so far from 100% American it is almost a joke. But it is an American Company and still responsible for many jobs. I'm still outraged at certain media who tried to claim Jap and German cars were far superior in the late 80' through the early 90's. I found 0 evidence for that and I have worked on a good deal of cars...since about 1991, if someone I know had a car problem they came to me, so I've seen a few things. But people believed it lock, stock, and barrell and it killed the American Companies.

I know you can drive most any Chevy 200,000+ miles and only change a water pump, thermostat, front brake rotors, and an alternator. (That is about $235 in parts and I can change all of them in one 2 hour session.)

I have a '99 Camaro SS that has 400HP and when I drive it in commuter mode I get 32 MPG. Stock the car got 29MPG at 330HP, and the car couldn't compete with the rice-burners and Mustangs. People believe hype and what the media tells them (and they are usually FOS). {And I now laugh when I read on the Mustang sites and they warn all their pundits that their cars can not mess with a Camaro unless they put on a Supercharger and do a little exhaust work. (You can read similar on the rice-burner pages) And yet they get about 5 MPG less and don't handle quite as well.}

I've hurt some people's feeling when they find out that a 10 year old Chevy I have 14 grand in will blow their brand new 350Z off the road and get better gas mileage. You ought to see the look on their face!!! :P

We have brilliant consumers!

This is why I bought a GMC Sierra 2500HD with a Duramax diesel...I'm gonna put 500K on it!! 8)
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:08 am

Derek wrote:
This is why I bought a GMC Sierra 2500HD with a Duramax diesel...I'm gonna put 500K on it!! 8)

Now this is one of the funniest things I have seen in a long time on this board. :D :D
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:06 pm

fluiddude wrote:GM earned their reputation by foisting a lot of crap on american consumers over the years, such as the Vega with the aluminum engine and their early diesels. However it's also true that when they have tried to be truly innovative, it's blown up in their face. Both the Corvair and the Fiero, for example, had problems initially, but in their final incarnations were actually very good cars.

In the late eighties, I had a Chevy Corsica (quad 4 engine) as a company car. While among the cheaper cars I could have selected, it had a neat seat adjustment feature which is why I chose it. In four years, I put about 140,000 miles on it and other than oil changes, replacing the water pump gasket was the only repair it ever required.

All in all, however, the best car I've ever owned was a Saab.

I had a similar experience with my Corsica (we put a few more miles on) and that was the worst Chevrolet I ever owned, hands down!

I also want to note that GM has more models than any other Manufacturer that get >30mpg...and I still here the media talking about them making gas guzzlers!!! Idiots!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Return to “Off-Topic”