Softball NCAA Championships

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Softball NCAA Championships

Postby Spence » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:47 pm

One of the Washington pitchers is a family friend of my wife and her family.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:42 am

Now...this is crazy. Why have a poll that has a #1 in it when the matter is settled on the field...I can see ranking those that fell along the way to come up with the rest of the top 25.

The Softball Coaches' Poll has just come out...Washington and Oregon each received a 1st place vote...despite both losing on the field to FSU (leaving FSU 797 of a possible 800 points).

The Nole gals knocked #9, #8, #6, #3, and #2 out of the tournament...and of course, FSU fan paranoia believes those two votes are "sour grapes" voting by PAC 12...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:50 am

The fallacy of polls

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:12 pm

Yeah....at FSU, us long time fans still remember a certain coach who left a #7 FSU off his ballot entirely....and his team was vying to make top 10.

The AP was sometimes as bad....with writers from a region favoring teams that were of interest to their readers. Also were probably teams that they were more familiar with.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:55 pm

billybud wrote:Yeah....at FSU, us long time fans still remember a certain coach who left a #7 FSU off his ballot entirely....and his team was vying to make top 10.

The AP was sometimes as bad....with writers from a region favoring teams that were of interest to their readers. Also were probably teams that they were more familiar with.

AP wasn't good at all. Can't say the coaches were much better. It is all a beauty contest. Always has been.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:51 pm

Polls are American's obsession with ranking everything. When it is settled on the field, that is it.

PAC12 schools are without socially redeeming value when it comes to this type of chicanery but in that poll still rank 6 places ahead of the schools from the South...

Seems to me ranking is necessary for seeding tournaments, after that no use at all. Those on the bubble will always have watercooler votes.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:56 am

Maybe, as "homers", we are too sensitive...but some things stand out...

Jessie Warren ranks in the Top 10 in NCAA history for both RBIs and home runs.

And yet, she wasn't a first-team All-American this season. And she's not a member of the U.S. national team either. Or even on the roster for the "B" team — a collection of players who will take part in an all-star series in Japan this summer.

The Noles became just the 2nd team to ever win a NC without a first team All American...

They also became the first team since 2012 to win the College World Series and not receive all 32 first-place votes in the final NFCA poll - Washington and Oregon each received a single vote.

Softball had been dominated by the PAC 12 until the SEC started making inroads....it will take more than one good season for a team outside those leagues to get respect.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:13 am

You know are a serious note I agree with you. The Warren woman was phenomenal and her omission is nuts. I do think rankings are media hype driven. When we were kids the one rankings that we use to watch and frankly the only one was Boxing. I can remember any others. I would read the box scores every day and they were often two days late if there were late games.

We have discussed this before, I do believe in the South College sport is very important. On the West Coast, not so much.

Flordia State dominated the final four. To not have them Number 1 makes any poll worthless.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Return to “Off-Topic”