Ken Griffey Jr.

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Ken Griffey Jr.

Postby donovan » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:17 pm

I saw this article. As I think back of my favorite ballplayers to watch I think of Willie Stargell and a minor league player Eddie Basinski. But if I was to watch one player with the greatest awe it would be Junior. I watched him in Seattle, at least 100 times. He has a swing that was always perfect and always the same. it never altered. Fielding, you would always be amazed. Accuracy in throwing was a trademark. I never met him but from all reports, he was always a "good guy." He played and was part of the Mariners when they were, in my opinion, the most entertaining ball team in the majors. I have always been a Yankee fan, but to watch the Mariners when Ken Griffy Jr was there is unforgettable.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26414999/ranking-today-mlb-stars-their-griffey-factor
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Ken Griffey Jr.

Postby Spence » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:30 pm

I've said this before, but I got to watch Junior grow up. At the ball park with his dad and in Legion ball. I think the guy in the article has it wrong, though, the thing that set him apart the most was how much fun he always had playing ball. His dad was like that too, only junior has more fun. Junior had the fastest hands I have ever seen swing a baseball bat. His home run prowess was a direct result of his hand speed. I agree that he was fun to watch. Save Pete Rose, for me, Junior was the most fun player to watch. Unlike Rose, Junior was also one of the most gifted players ever to swing a Louisville slugger.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:53 am

I remember you seeing Griffey. I think you are right about his hand speed. The Mariners have had some incredible players. Ichiro and Griffey for Junior's last two years in Seattle; with Pinella...That's entertainment.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:24 am

Lou Pinella is a show by himself. I always liked him as a manager. A great player manager.

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:10 pm

My all-time favorite player. I have a large Griffey jr card collection. Such a great swing.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:12 pm

Dossenator wrote:My all-time favorite player. I have a large Griffey jr card collection. Such a great swing.

Not many better. That was the sweetest swing I have ever seen.

Return to “Off-Topic”