Grumblings Grow Louder

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Grumblings Grow Louder

Postby donovan » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:22 pm

Maybe the Southern States can sell out to the History Channel....worked for the SEC.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:27 am

You guys are nuttily defensive...the new south is vibrant and has moved forward....it's not even south anymore since everybody from the misery index leading states seems to be trying to move this way.

The south no longer holds a grudge against the north, but the south still holds itself out as Dixie and a place of special culture. Southern Cooking...I always wondered why all fried chicken seems to be "southern fried"...they don't fry chicken in Toledo?
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:36 am

I agree that most in the south have moved on. I do lots of business with companies in the south, especially in Georgia, and find most people to be not much different then I.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:41 am

billybud wrote:You guys are nuttily defensive...the new south is vibrant and has moved forward....it's not even south anymore since everybody from the misery index leading states seems to be trying to move this way.

The south no longer holds a grudge against the north, but the south still holds itself out as Dixie and a place of special culture. Southern Cooking...I always wondered why all fried chicken seems to be "southern fried"...they don't fry chicken in Toledo?

Talk about nincompoopsih blatherskites. The South no longer holds a grudge? What a bunch of pompous butt self righteous hypocrites. The South is tolerated by people in the West. Don't care for the arrogance, insolence and the eternal wallowing in self-pity. Nobody is nuttily defensive, frankly we don't give a darn about what goes on in the South, especially in football.

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:19 am

I believe the South gets a hard time for being labeled as backwards. I don't think they are at all. I do think there's an element of defensiveness and self-pity for some people, but by no means is it a majority. Heck, I even defended the Confederacy, so what does that make me? :lol:
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:45 am

Donovan...the SEC always did get to you..LOL. It seems to have finally pushed you over some edge. :D

Your post is little on the side of, well....maybe not nutsy, but certainly indicative of someone with internal anger issues....
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:54 am

There are cultural differences in regions...when I think of my dad's Milwaukee relatives, I think of bratwurst, beer, and bowling. And a very german and urban based culture.

My beloved is a Texan from a pioneering Texan family who settled in Comanche country when it meant keeping your guns handy and your kids close.. Texans have their own culture going for them and I am still trying to understand it all. Still not sure what the slogan "Don't Mess With Texas" really means in real world application...but as far as state pride and a state specific culture goes, these guys have it. My wife has had to adjust to southern culture. The food, but especially the nature of southerners to ask personal questions and strike up conversations with strangers. Both a no-no in Texas where privacy is assumed.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:39 am

billybud wrote:Donovan...the SEC always did get to you..LOL. It seems to have finally pushed you over some edge. :D

Your post is little on the side of, well....maybe not nutsy, but certainly indicative of someone with internal anger issues....

I am OK with nutsy. I am saving my anger for important issues...like what is for lunch. I only would retract nincompoopish.... :lol:

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:09 pm

I always enjoy your posts, Donovan.

Especially the ones that sputter in indignation like Sylvester the cat when framed by the Tweety Bird.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:12 pm

billybud wrote:I always enjoy your posts, Donovan.

Especially the ones that sputter in indignation like Sylvester the cat when framed by the Tweety Bird.

Indignation....I like that word....seems to fit.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:30 pm

U wuz jus jaded...das all.

EDIT...excuse me..I was on a southern board and I forgot to switch my keyboard off "southern dialect" to "normal english"...

You were just jaded....that's all.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:28 pm

The only thing I am jaded about, which I would not mention on this board, is Southern food. I have never had a bad meal in New Orleans. And as I am in respite here in Boise for three more weeks, I am thinking more and more on that very subject. :lol:

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:14 pm

I think somebody has hijacked Donovan's computer. Not quite as many "...."s and he seems awfully perky lately :lol:
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:42 pm

I will say one thing on the US MIlitary and any jurisdiction moving to put down a rebellion of conservative people of real substance and mass. The US Military is largely Conservative...I'd think about 10% far-right, 20-25% right, 20-25% moderate/right, 35-30% moderate and the rest some form of left! Let's see (largely), Liberals are anti-gun, anti-violence, anti-war, anti-any conflict, hence the expansion of "assault" and "battery" type law and punishment escalation over the years. How many do you think flock to the military, how many do you think make careers, how many do you think rise to powerful positions.

If you had a real movement across many states (3 or more) by conservative people, after much national air time and argument...you can count the US Military an un-deployable asset, including any Guard Components! I can also tell you this form of discussion has came up in some form at parties at serviceman's house, the dorms, and many places...I promise you, it would blow up in the Federal Government's face. In fact within 72 hours of the order going out this Country would be just about powerless. And if you think other corners of power would hold more promise in such a struggle...yeah, OK.

Anything of the form I mentioned, would not be 1 region against another. It would not be those niche people wanting this or that against all of the rest of us. It would not be 18nn, it is 2010. It wouldn't be a case where you tell some boy about people (over or down there) and he accepts that and straps it up "for his glorious honor, for his father, forefathers, and for his God". You aren't talking about kids who know no better because he has never been more than 1 state away from home .

If I thought it at all wise, I could tell you almost exactly what would happen. If you think the Left-Wingers on the Hill don't know this...well...then I'd like to hear their rhetoric on this subject. Put it this way, I think most over 30 or 40 come from a childhood where daddy made the final law in the house (or surely know of these houses). Now just imagine daddy comes home one day and says to his 3 older boys, 18, 17, and 15, "Boys tonight we are going to have to move against your momma, your cousin, and your little brother...as they have joined in an uprising against us and our way of life. They want to build a house on the western 25 acres and build their own house away from here. Get your guns boys and meet in the back yard in 1 hour!" How well do you think this will work out for ole Pa?
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:21 pm

Those who have been in the service know...you follow orders. You go where they send you and you are trained to follow orders...even if it means charging a machine gun or firing at a hometown crowd.

The 101st Airborne was certainly prepared to take down the Arkansas National Guard if it came to that...

I would hesitate to believe that the military would not follow the orders of the CIC.

Return to “Off-Topic”