Back from Harley Tour

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Back from Harley Tour

Postby billybud » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:01 am

The 2010 vacation tour (the Foodtopia Tour) is now complete.

We went up the east coast and stopped to explore Savannah and Charleston, than up to Calabash on the NC coast. From there to the Virginia Blue Ridge and than along the "Crooked Road" back to Asheville (the Paris of the South)...down through Carl Sandberg's home in Flat Rock and through hellish heat in Georgia to home.

I might have called this the Shrimp and Grits Tour....highlights of the shrimp and grits tastings.

Savannah...blackened shrimp and grits with a spicy sauce and collard greens at the Market Square Cafe. A creamy mild version of shrimp and grits with my omelot for breakfast at the Avia Hotel. Grand stuff.

Charleston....A caribbean influenced shrimp and grits with prosciutto at the Hominy Grill.

Blue Ridge Parkway outside Floyd, Va....a spicy shrimp and grits with applewood bacon over stone ground yellow grits and greens at Chateau Morrisette Winery.

Asheville...another spicy shrimp and grits, this one served over a baked grits cake, at Tupelo Honey Cafe.

Calabash, NC...the little town that bills itself as the seafood capital. No shrimp and grits this night, but the best grouper, fried "calabash style", and eaten while sitting on the deck overlooking the Little River watching the boats coming in for the evening.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Back from Harley Tour

Postby donovan » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:52 pm

...and we were feeling sorry for you. Sounds like a great time.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:34 pm

Is the Market Square Cafe right on the river?? If so, I've eaten there before.

Check out my pics from Savannah in 2006

http://www.dscsgroup.org/photos/main.php?g2_itemId=608
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:38 pm

Sounds like a good time. I like how the food takes center stage on the trip. I am a firm believer that people should eat out lots. :wink:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “Off-Topic”