Agathokakological

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Agathokakological

Postby WoVeU » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:02 am

Seriously?!?!?

Steve Young broke this word out during the post game interview with Patrick Chung of the Patriots. (And I think he threw an extra syllable in there.)

I am pretty sure this is a little unnecessary! Agathokakological means composed of both good and evil. I know I only use this in, probably, 3 out of 5 football conversations I get into.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Agathokakological

Postby donovan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:27 am

That is how you talk when you graduate from Brigham Young, twice.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:25 am

You lost me at Ag.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:46 am

Much simpler in the south...

"A good tree can house 10,000 crows"...good and evil together without the tongue contortions.

Dang...sounds like a southern fortune cookie....
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:21 pm

My Dad condensed the good and evil argument into my way or the highway.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:58 pm

In my house, we have a much simpler way of denoting how good and evil are combined in the same person...

If my son has angered his mom..."You need to talk to your son". If he has done something outstanding.."Let me tell you what our boy has done."

The simple use of the possessive let's me know immediately which aspect that we will be discussing.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:24 pm

billybud wrote:In my house, we have a much simpler way of denoting how good and evil are combined in the same person...

If my son has angered his mom..."You need to talk to your son". If he has done something outstanding.."Let me tell you what our boy has done."

The simple use of the possessive let's me know immediately which aspect that we will be discussing.

My wife has the same way of handling our girls. They don't listen to her very well, she is their friend. I am not their friend, they don't like me much - well the little one still likes me, but that won't last much longer. If it is anything like my childhood, they won't start liking me until they are mid to late twenties. :lol:

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:46 pm

At our house, as a kid, it was much like yours. My Dad would say, "Son, I've been having to talk to you way too much." (I only corrected his grammar once in my life....I am still sorry I even thought to do that....I had great parents.)
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:52 pm

donovan wrote:At our house, as a kid, it was much like yours. My Dad would say, "Son, I've been having to talk to you way too much." (I only corrected his grammar once in my life....I am still sorry I even thought to do that....I had great parents.)

I did too. I just wish I would have known it sooner.

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:57 pm

I too had great parents. I learned very quickly that when my parents were calling for me that if I heard son or just my first name that things were good. If I heard my full name then things were bad. I didn't hear my full name very often...thank goodness.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:59 pm

Dossenator wrote:I too had great parents. I learned very quickly that when my parents were calling for me that if I heard son or just my first name that things were good. If I heard my full name then things were bad. I didn't hear my full name very often...thank goodness.

I did hear my full name more than I should have.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:17 pm

Spence wrote:
Dossenator wrote:I too had great parents. I learned very quickly that when my parents were calling for me that if I heard son or just my first name that things were good. If I heard my full name then things were bad. I didn't hear my full name very often...thank goodness.

I did hear my full name more than I should have.

I think it was my full name I heard, but I was so far away...who's to really say! Everybody make sure you are setting down. Now, believe it or not, I was a hard headed kid. I heard every word, believed every word, but often just did what I wanted. I always said I knew what I was doing and I would take care of everything I needed to in due time. In every movie I have ever seen, that doesn't happen, the "me's" end up in jail or maybe just down and out. But things went well, an awful lot like I said. It leaves me feeling odd about the whole thing, because it didn't have to turn out that way. I am left now to wonder, Why? Was it turning the same hard headed approach into a tool? Was all the work I did, to do what I wanted, something that provided me with good training for work in general? Was it God blessing me? Or was it just that I don't like losing...at anything...and I got older and the game just changed?
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Return to “Off-Topic”