Stan Musial passes

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Stan Musial passes

Postby Spence » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:41 pm

One of the all time greats. R.I.P. Stan the man.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Stan Musial passes

Postby donovan » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:48 am

Musial was one of those childhood bigger than life players. The caliber that he displayed to baseball is lost today.

Earl Weaver also passed away this week. A colorful guy who on field demeanor apparently did not reflect his off field life, where he was a caring and compassionate man. One of the great strategists in the game.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:26 pm

donovan wrote:Musial was one of those childhood bigger than life players. The caliber that he displayed to baseball is lost today.

Earl Weaver also passed away this week. A colorful guy who on field demeanor apparently did not reflect his off field life, where he was a caring and compassionate man. One of the great strategists in the game.

I heard about Earl Weaver right after I posted. I was a big fan of Brooks Robinson until He and Weaver's O's beat my Reds in the 70 series. The Big Red Machine was just starting to rev up. Jim Palmer and Weaver's other pitchers mowed us down that year.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Brian Roastbeef
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Brian Roastbeef » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:45 am

Stan the Man was my favorite old time player. I still have a plaque for him hanging in my bedroom that I bought in Cooperstown maybe 10-12 years ago. Had a vintage style jersey of his too that I wore regularly back around my college days. He was a great man, not just as a consistently amazing player, but also in his admirable private life - modest in all things, married 72 years to one woman, served during the end of WWII. Truly a legend that passed on a couple of weeks ago. RIP.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:40 pm

I did not know he was married that long. So I read about his personal life. He was The Man.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:27 pm

In 1959, I played with a Rawlings Stan Musial PML glove...I loved that glove and Stan the Man.

I would twist myself into Musial's unusual batting stance....I played as a short stop.

In the deep south of my youth, the nearest major league baseball teams were St. Louis and Baltimore/DC. Twisting the radio dial at night trying to get bounce wave AM broadcasts from St. Louis was one of my first life lessons in building patience.

It was the year of Nellie Fox and Ernie Banks...and the Cards weren't having a goodyear.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:21 pm

billybud wrote:In 1959, I played with a Rawlings Stan Musial PML glove...I loved that glove and Stan the Man.

I would twist myself into Musial's unusual batting stance....I played as a short stop.

In the deep south of my youth, the nearest major league baseball teams were St. Louis and Baltimore/DC. Twisting the radio dial at night trying to get bounce wave AM broadcasts from St. Louis was one of my first life lessons in building patience.

It was the year of Nellie Fox and Ernie Banks...and the Cards weren't having a goodyear.

I revel in those memories......I did the same...but on the West Coast we only had the Pacific Coast League, which at that time was very good baseball.....I twisted many a dial to hear Rollie Truitt announce the Portland Beavers, only to learn he was never at the away games and made up most of the action...but who cares.....Its the truth, even if it never happened.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:41 am

donovan wrote:
billybud wrote:In 1959, I played with a Rawlings Stan Musial PML glove...I loved that glove and Stan the Man.

I revel in those memories......I did the same...but on the West Coast we only had the Pacific Coast League, which at that time was very good baseball.....I twisted many a dial to hear Rollie Truitt announce the Portland Beavers, only to learn he was never at the away games and made up most of the action...but who cares.....Its the truth, even if it never happened.

I have heard of announcers making up the content of games several times. And every time I think how I would have liked to have set in the booth to watch them spin these believable yarns. Just makes me so very curious!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:12 pm

I'm m Minneapolis near the Mall of America. I walked past a sports store in the mall and saw a signed picture of Stan, and it was President Obama giving him some medal.

i'll take a picture of it and post it here.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Brian Roastbeef
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Brian Roastbeef » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:33 pm

Derek wrote:I'm m Minneapolis near the Mall of America. I walked past a sports store in the mall and saw a signed picture of Stan, and it was President Obama giving him some medal.

i'll take a picture of it and post it here.

I hear those sell for $15.
$400 if they have to Photoshop out Obama.

It's worth the extra money.

Return to “Off-Topic”