Have we died and no on told us?

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Have we died and no on told us?

Postby donovan » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:42 am

I just looked at the new CFP format and I find NO access to the message board. If we are dead I don't want to leave you, my friends, without a way to say goodbye. Where are we?
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Have we died and no on told us?

Postby billybud » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:36 pm

We'll hold a seance....
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:12 am

It does look like the end of the forum....

Donovan, Spence, Eric, et al....

Been a nice run and I will miss you.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:16 am

I did email admins to see if the lack of a link to the forums was a format error or a planned discontinuance...I guess that I will hear.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:58 am

Well, I'm here still . . . not that I'm as important as an admin or anything, but I refuse to surrender.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:57 am

That's the spirit...we'll go down with the decks awash and the guns blazing.....

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:51 am

We aren't dead yet. They have told me if they decide to end it that I will get a chance to say goodbye to you guys. The big problem is that message boards aren't very popular these days and while we are consistent in our membership the board probably is what it is and this point. I will keep you guys in the loop when I know something. I have my fingers crossed.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:32 am

Spence wrote:We aren't dead yet. They have told me if they decide to end it that I will get a chance to say goodbye to you guys. The big problem is that message boards aren't very popular these days and while we are consistent in our membership the board probably is what it is and this point. I will keep you guys in the loop when I know something. I have my fingers crossed.

We now live in a smooth suave sophisticated sex-saturated scintillating society based on instant gratification, electronic thumb pushing and Facebook fantasy. Our message board does not represent nor fit in a world of rudeness, profanity, belittling and humiliation. Mr. Congrove has been supportive of these standards and for that I am grateful. I don't post on other message boards.

I would be humbled to stand on the deck with guns blazing as the pirate ship Kevorkian approaches...(first I must pack my Metamucil, Ensure, Preparation H, Depends, oxygen and walker.)

Lastly, because we also live in the real world, if this is an economic drain, is there a solution to that issue?

broncodonovan@gmail.com Just in case.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:25 pm

Hey everyone,

We're still conflicted about what to do with this message board. The number of users has certainly dropped, but I was really happy to see the core group of folks (you all) are still active.

With the new CFP website, we're really trying to pare down the amount of overhead, both time and money. Ad revenue for CFP, as with the rest of the internet, is down (thanks, ad blockers). The message board will end up costing us twice as much to run this year as the CFP website itself.

As it stands, the server for the message board goes dark on September 19th. I'm considering a short-term renewal and letting it run through the end of the season.

Whatever happens, I'll be sure to let you all know as soon as a decision is made.

CFP Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby CFP Admin » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:23 am

BillyBud emailed me and I professed the end was near, but that was at about he same time that OpenSkies (Matthew) was posting the possibility of keeping it afloat through this season. I assure you this - we will not pull a Baltimore Colts move on you. We greatly appreciate your participation on the board, and the help we have gotten from those who have served as moderators and administrators.

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:53 pm

I am still here folks. Waiting on the season to start. I have taken up playing the guitar once again, since a 26 year break. Also, the wife is getting me on a plane for the first time in my life. Trip to Mexico. I am scared as crap. Also, been doing a little cooking using the sous vide method. Amazing if you haven't done it. I haven't forgotten about this place. Just waiting for the season to start up.

Keep this thing afloat.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:55 am

donovan wrote:
Spence wrote:We aren't dead yet. They have told me if they decide to end it that I will get a chance to say goodbye to you guys. The big problem is that message boards aren't very popular these days and while we are consistent in our membership the board probably is what it is and this point. I will keep you guys in the loop when I know something. I have my fingers crossed.

We now live in a smooth suave sophisticated sex-saturated scintillating society based on instant gratification, electronic thumb pushing and Facebook fantasy. Our message board does not represent nor fit in a world of rudeness, profanity, belittling and humiliation. Mr. Congrove has been supportive of these standards and for that I am grateful. I don't post on other message boards.

I would be humbled to stand on the deck with guns blazing as the pirate ship Kevorkian approaches...(first I must pack my Metamucil, Ensure, Preparation H, Depends, oxygen and walker.)

Lastly, because we also live in the real world, if this is an economic drain, is there a solution to that issue?

broncodonovan@gmail.com Just in case.

I feel the exact same way Donovan. This has been a GREAT board, and it's lasted a LONG time. It was so cool that I actually got to meet someone on this board like you face to face and have a wonderful dinner. We don't have to agree on everything to get along, this country has forgotten that.

I will also concur on the solution to the economic drain. I haven't been active in the last 6 months since the season was over, but I would hate to see this board shut down. I'll contribute if necessary, with either money or storage space and bandwidth on my website....

x2desmit AT Gmail DOT com
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:02 am

Due to the resource requirement of phpBB (the software this board runs on), and the considerable size of the archive, we have to pay more than you'd think for this thing. It may be cheaper elsewhere, but that requires devoting resources to transfer it over.

If anyone wants to set up hosting and their own phpBB install, I have no problem handing over a backup of the entire board so that it can continue on into the future.

Old Ducker
All-American
All-American

Postby Old Ducker » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:15 am

I was dead but was resurrected. Do not worship me.
The artist formerly known as Fluiddude

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:06 pm

Glad to see you pop back in.

I wasn't sure who all got the pm ... so many on the members list haven't posted in so long, I didn't know whether or not everyone's contact information was till valid..

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Return to “General Discussion”