Week 13 Elucidations

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Week 13 Elucidations

Postby donovan » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:22 am

Week 13 Elucidations
1. Boise State v Utah State – Maybe Boise is better than I thought, Utah State is a good team. Rypien is a solid QB and Mattison is a little fireplug. Utah State’s coach Mat Wells has done a good job, I suspect he may be headed to a larger school.
2. Tough season for Florida State – Not a way to snap a 36 year ‘going to a Bowl Streak.’ Mr. Billybud deserved better.
3. LSU v Texas A&M – I don’t like A & M. If there ever was a game where no one should have lost, this could be it. I am okay with ties. We’re obsessed with winning and losing. Draws are fine.
4. Alabama v Auburn – Poor Gus Malzahn. Since when is humility a bad thing?
5. Notre Dame v USC – ND epitomizes what the goal is. Win games, all the rest is a message board and sports center chatter.
6. UCF v The Committee – They now found an excuse to exclude, if only in their own mind. Milton’s leg was going East and West.
7. Washington State v Washington – Leach let me down. Petersen has found a home.
8. BYU v Utah – Sinners beat the Saints
9. Ohio State v Michigan – I feel bad for Eric. As for Spence’s prognostication, see #7.
10. Georgia v Georgia Tech – How long can Derek hold his breath?
11. Clemson v South Carolina – Not sure they can beat Alabama but know I find them boring to watch. A little offensive spark today.
12. Miami v Pitt – Miami should play like that every game. Cane deserves some reward for all his hard work.
13. Oklahoma v Mountainman – Ever watch a game where there was no defense on either team? I really was pulling for WVU. Oklahoma is on my list of not liking any Texas teams, close enough.
14. Oregon v Oregon State – Don’t waste a tree commenting.
15. Arkansas v Missouri – How can Arkansas be so bad-what happened?
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Week 13 Elucidations

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:53 am

Even though it didn't happen Saturday, the Virginia Tech and UVA game was quite thrilling. The Cav QB Perkins was doing just fine. All the right things in the second half. Got the lead in some pretty outstanding fashions; runs, passes. VT fans started leaving. The Hokies come back and strip Perkins of the ball in OT. Outside of that,
---Doesn't the BIG XII play defense?
---I really do wonder what will happen with Notre Dame, Oklahoma, and Ohio State if the last two win their championship games. Also, I know ND's SOS isn't great, but is it worse than Washington's was the year they made it in?
---Could you imagine if Bama, Clemson, and Ohio State all lost their championship games? I know, I know... it ain't happening.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:43 am

---
collegefbfan-8898 wrote:---Could you imagine if Bama, Clemson, and Ohio State all lost their championship games? I know, I know... it ain't happening.

I think the least likely would be Clemson losing.

The other two depend on how sharp their opponent decide to be next week.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:48 am

collegefbfan-8898 wrote:Even though it didn't happen Saturday, the Virginia Tech and UVA game was quite thrilling. The Cav QB Perkins was doing just fine. All the right things in the second half. Got the lead in some pretty outstanding fashions; runs, passes. VT fans started leaving. The Hokies come back and strip Perkins of the ball in OT. Outside of that,
---Doesn't the BIG XII play defense?
---I really do wonder what will happen with Notre Dame, Oklahoma, and Ohio State if the last two win their championship games. Also, I know ND's SOS isn't great, but is it worse than Washington's was the year they made it in?
---Could you imagine if Bama, Clemson, and Ohio State all lost their championship games? I know, I know... it ain't happening.

Did you happen to notice the offense Ohio State was running against the #1 ranked defense in the nation during yesterday’s game??? :wink:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:54 am

I’m not sure that was the #1 defense. They couldn’t get pressure on the edges. Get a couple defensive tackles that are really fast and that would have been a different game. I’m glad it wasn’t.

Donovan, I watched Boise State again last night. I think they are a good team. I think Rypien is a really good qb. They pulled away in second half. That is what good teams do.

As for Ohio State and their chances in the playoff, I don’t think and team that gets beat by 29 - by Purdue or even Alabama- deserves a spot. Not when you only get 4. I also don’t believe two teams from the same conference should go. That is also wrong.

This playoff committee’s claim to fame in my opinion is to give Alabama or any elite program a do over if they lose. It is an absolute joke in the world according to Spence.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:29 pm

.......and if they had those tackles guys like Tua and Kyler Murray would eat them alive, as Haskins did. My point is, and it took me a while to figure it out, in answering the question about the Big XII defenses, is the Big XII simply has great offenses, Ohio State showed yesterday just what that type of offense can do against a ‘defense’.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:46 pm

We disagree to a point. I think that to stop a good offense, meaning one with a top tier qb like West Virginia or Oklahoma you have to be able to put pressure on the qb.if your defense can’t do that then in my opinion it isn’t a great defense. Clemson and Alabama both have great defensive lines. I think West Virginia has a good dline, but they are soft in the middle for reasons we all know. Good QB’s will win battles against good defensive backs at times so that is a pick em contest for me.

I think Oklahoma has a great offense. I don’t think they have a prayer against Alabama or Clemson’s D. Neither do Ohio State or Norte Dame for that matter. I do think Ohio State is a couple players away. I think West Virginia is too. Butt neither of us have those players available to go.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:41 pm

Greer is very accurate pocket passer who can move in the pocket and not so well outside of it, pass route schemes and pocket protection are key to Greer’s success, while Tua and Murray can move are quick and can run...... those two bring a whole different set of issues to a defense with their speed and ability to create big plays once the called play get blown up, as Georgia experienced with Tua’s performance in last season’s Title Game.

As a fan without a dog in the fight, what I want to see during this CFP are 3 games that are competitive to the point to where the outcomes are in question. So, based on what I’ve seen so far this season the teams that will delivery are Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, and Ohio State.......... but, alas, the CFP Playoff Committee has its own metrics for determining and defining what “Best” is.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:37 pm

I think Ohio state and Oklahoma would guy each other if they played each other, which they wouldn’t. I think Clemson and Alabama would make both those teams look bad if they played. I’m really not sure about Notre Dame. They didn’t look very good last night, but they keep winning. The same criteria could be used for USF, so maybe they should let Notre Dame and UCF in because I think the result would be the same as if they put Ohio State and Oklahoma in and then those schools could find out where they stand in the scheme of things.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:14 pm

I totally agree on the Tie game point.

I've already started holding my breath.....
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:23 pm

Spence wrote:I think Ohio state and Oklahoma would guy each other if they played each other, which they wouldn’t. I think Clemson and Alabama would make both those teams look bad if they played. I’m really not sure about Notre Dame. They didn’t look very good last night, but they keep winning. The same criteria could be used for USF, so maybe they should let Notre Dame and UCF in because I think the result would be the same as if they put Ohio State and Oklahoma in and then those schools could find out where they stand in the scheme of things.

......that would certainly show that this CFP Committee needs to be reworked.

I don’t mind the concept of a Committee selecting participants for a bracket to decide a champion due to the nature and environment of D-1 College Football, but how this current Committee operates are where my objections lie. At the very least, this Committee should meet, decide and announce the bracket at season’s end..... that would be a good starting point.

I read and heard where the Committee says things like body of work, strength of schedule, strength of record, and that they start from scratch each week and disregard their previous rankings. If those are indeed measuring metrics used to determine their rankings, I cannot see why there would be an objective reason to do otherwise. I’m looking forward to this weeks rankings and the final rankings.

As for UCF, I’ve watched them too and from what I saw they’re are simply not a contender, as for Notre Dame, I watched 4.5 of their games, Michigan, Pittsburgh, Syracuse and USC, with Syracuse being the half game......... and to me, though they won all their games, if the criteria is indeed the “Best Teams”, there are better teams than the Irish.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:50 pm

I agree with that, but my problem with picking the four best teams is that we don’t know who is the best four, or the best ten for that matter. If any of us did we would make a lot of money betting the lines and the spreads. Neither does the committee, though, I believe they try. We can compare teams easily after they play, but before—we are all wrong a lot. I think the system is rigged against the non blue blood programs.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:10 pm

Spence wrote:I agree with that, but my problem with picking the four best teams is that we don’t know who is the best four, or the best ten for that matter. If any of us did we would make a lot of money betting the lines and the spreads. Neither does the committee, though, I believe they try. We can compare teams easily after they play, but before—we are all wrong a lot. I think the system is rigged against the non blue blood programs.

Well, we have proven beyond doubt that our picking is suspect, putting it gently since donovan will probably read this and he’s awful!!!! :lol: But the difference between us and the Committee is they rank teams after the games are played, and I agree they try....... and for sure it’s a steeper climb for the non-blue bloods, but inherently the lack of quality depth and opponent strength on those teams takes its toll.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:47 pm

Mountainman wrote:
Spence wrote:I agree with that, but my problem with picking the four best teams is that we don’t know who is the best four, or the best ten for that matter. If any of us did we would make a lot of money betting the lines and the spreads. Neither does the committee, though, I believe they try. We can compare teams easily after they play, but before—we are all wrong a lot. I think the system is rigged against the non blue blood programs.

Well, we have proven beyond doubt that our picking is suspect, putting it gently since donovan will probably read this and he’s awful!!!! :lol: But the difference between us and the Committee is they rank teams after the games are played, and I agree they try....... and for sure it’s a steeper climb for the non-blue bloods, but inherently the lack of quality depth and opponent strength on those teams takes its toll.

I really suck at picking. Wife is the exception. I married well and can not be responsible for Mrs. donovan's bad decision making.

My exception to the Committee is, I think they have a multi-purpose goal. It is not solely about the 'best' four teams. It is spurred by the financial success of the event, even at the expense of many bowl games.

By design, they now can have volatile swings in their rankings. A team that is number 10 one week, eg Ohio State, could become number 5 the next week. Though this sounds good it allows the group to put in the four that ensures ESPN's goals are met.

Other sports that rank have some kind of point system, tennis, NASCAR, etc. A sport that loosey-goosey ranks are always suspect, eg boxing; because of the gambling, ticket sales, etc. That is where football is right now, a gambler's (the one making book) paradise.

The only thing that sucks more than I do, is the Central Committee. Muller needs to quit the investigation of President Trump's Russian connection and take on College Football Playoffs.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:49 pm

It is true some of the teams don’t have the depth that say an Ohio State or Oklahoma have, but we have seen Boise State beat Oklahoma on a big stage. We have seen UCF knock down an Auburn team that beat the mighty tide just last year. When it happens they brush it off as not wanting to be there. I think that is a cop out and if I’m the coach on a team with Auburn’s depth, I bet I can find a few guys who do want to be there.

I’m not saying we should look over a blue blood for a team that hasn’t played anyone, but this year who has Alabama played outside their side of the conference that was worth getting dressed to play? They shouldn’t get any more consideration for it then anyone else.

Return to “General Discussion”