BAMA-OKLAHOMA

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

BAMA-OKLAHOMA

Postby billybud » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:49 am

So this is what it has come to...Alabama wins by 11 and is never threatened.

And Oklahoma gets a lot of praise for not folding up but playing it out.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: BAMA-OKLAHOMA

Postby billybud » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:51 am

I guess if you can keep it within two TD's against Bama, you can rack it up as one of those moral victories.

And, once again, the #3 and #4 seeds were superfluous...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:16 am

It was never as close as the score at the end. Alabama got bored in the middle of the game and Oklahoma scores a couple of times.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:54 am

And Bama took a knee on the 5 at the end in stead of punching it in for yet another score.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:24 am

If there was a mercy rule like in Little League...which I am against...actually against organized youth sports...sandlot worked for Abraham, Issac, and Jacob...I digress, everyone would have gone home after the first, well you name it, five minutes, quarter half...
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:42 am

Clemson and Alabama were CLEARLY the better teams....... one can only wonder if Georgia and Ohio State would have been better choices to challenge the Tide and Tigers.

Dump the CFP Committee and decide it on the field!!!! 8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:43 am

Mountainman wrote:Clemson and Alabama were CLEARLY the better teams....... one can only wonder if Georgia and Ohio State would have been better choices to challenge the Tide and Tigers.

Maybe Georgia. Ohio State doesn’t have the defense to go with Bama or Clemson right now.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:48 am

Didn't the Georgia-Alabama game already play just the game before the Alabama-Oklahoma game?

Sure it did...really a defacto part of the playoffs.

But I do agree that Georgia is better than Oklahoma.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:26 am

billybud wrote:Didn't the Georgia-Alabama game already play just the game before the Alabama-Oklahoma game?

Sure it did...really a defacto part of the playoffs.

But I do agree that Georgia is better than Oklahoma.

Defacto Playoff??? Yet again our ears and eyes come under assault with made-up and meaningless, ambiguous, redefined, self-serving terminology for the purpose of explanation of one’s imagination of things that do not exist.

Does no one recall the mission statement of the CFP Committee????
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:30 am

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:Clemson and Alabama were CLEARLY the better teams....... one can only wonder if Georgia and Ohio State would have been better choices to challenge the Tide and Tigers.

Maybe Georgia. Ohio State doesn’t have the defense to go with Bama or Clemson right now.

Didn’t mean to imply a team had to beat ‘em..... :lol:

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:51 am

The National Championship is, in essence, an Invitational Tournament. The owners get to invite who they want by whatever criteria they decide. Not any different than any other invitational. It is not an open tournament. The fact all the schools in Division 1...I am opposing any name changes for anything...believe there is a level playing field is a self-deception promoted to bilk colleges out of their time, effort and money. When the Chairman of the Central Committee retires as little know fact is they get the Sergeant Bilko award, okay, I made that up.

Fact is it is an invitational tournament and the only solution is for the lemmings running the universities to withdraw and go back to the National Watercooler Championship.

All the rest is mindless prattle.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:00 pm

Ahhhh....you mindless whiners..LOL....

Of course the vast majority of FBS teams know that they aren't going to win a football championship...their administrations are not fools. It is not a charade.

They choose to participate for many reasons....Old Dominion, Georgia State, South Alabama, Texas San Antonio, Charlotte, etc have recently entered and have no shot at a championship.

"So why bother? Why, in this time of uncertainly, should a university make the extensive financial commitment necessary to support a major college football program? The reasons provided by the schools' athletic directors vary, but there is one common theme: They say having a football team improves the college experience for students and alums. They want their own color and pageantry to enjoy. And if a school is going to play football, it might as well try to play with the best, then worry about the future when it arrives.

...any distribution of "goodness" will be on a bell curve. And with 125 programs, five dozen will be on the back half of the curve...another nealy three dozen will be in the second quartile.

No chance even if there was a 16 team playoff.

The playoff committee, using its best information strives to put together the four best teams....tough job, especially when you have hindsight shooters nsalivating.

But please, stop the whine about these programs being "hoodwinked".

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:26 pm

donovan wrote:The National Championship is, in essence, an Invitational Tournament. The owners get to invite who they want by whatever criteria they decide. Not any different than any other invitational. It is not an open tournament. The fact all the schools in Division 1...I am opposing any name changes for anything...believe there is a level playing field is a self-deception promoted to bilk colleges out of their time, effort and money. When the Chairman of the Central Committee retires as little know fact is they get the Sergeant Bilko award, okay, I made that up.

Fact is it is an invitational tournament and the only solution is for the lemmings running the universities to withdraw and go back to the National Watercooler Championship.

All the rest is mindless prattle.

I do like the old bowl system and the water cooler smack talk that my team was better than yours and that my grandma could have dressed out and beat Your team. That was what made college football so great IMO.

But if this playoff system is here to stay, then I'd like them to expand it to at least 6, but not more than 8 teams. We can't have a March madness in December too.

Football is NOT basketball.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:34 pm

amen

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:35 pm

I see no reason to take it to eight. This year who should the eight be that would change the championship game? You may get a closer game. I don’t see anyone who deserves a shot more than the teams who made it.

Return to “General Discussion”