Bowl Season

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Bowl Season

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:27 pm

Bowl season is my favorite time of the year. I usually watch 3/4" of all the bowls. I'm guessing most people watch 7 or 8. I'm watching Buffalo take down Charlotte as we speak. I watch a lot of games during the year, but not as many full games. I only get pieces of games watching from tailgates on a sports bar after a game. (Wow Charlotte just took one 51 years. The Buffalo defender couldn't knock him out from the sideline) I like getting to see teams and conferences playing against each other with nothing left to play for but the bowl game. It is very different when they play early in the season. They want to win, but often they are holding stuff back for when they get in conference play. In the bowls, at least for those who decide to play, you get everything they have saved back. It makes for very entertaining games.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Bowl Season

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:00 am

I feel much the same ...

The Kent State Golden Flashes won the first Bowl game tonight, in their 100 years pf program history.

Only having been to 3 prior bowl games:
1954 -- The Refrigerator Bowl -- versus Delaware
1972 -- The Tangerine Bowl -- versus Tampa
2012 -- The GoDaddy.com Bowl -- versus Arkansas State

One of those teams [Delaware], is now an FCS school, no longer competing in major College Football.

Another [Tampa], would only have a football program for 2 more years following, before disbanding altogether.

And, of course, Arkansas State will be playing this Season in the Camellia Bowl, versus Florida International.

Utah State didn't give Kent anything. The game was fought to the end. With a Final Score of 51-41; earning the 10 point victory due to a great return by the Golden Flashes hands team on an onside kick, which allowed Kent State to start their drive at the Aggies 13 yard line, with only 2:45 on the clock. The Flashes went for it on 4th & goal from the 1, scoring a Touchdown with just over a minute left .

A great game on the first day of Bowl Season that, sadly, likely got over looked, and unwatched by the majority of football fans.

For the Kent state players and coaching staff; they get to celebrate a historic moment for their program.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:44 am

Utah State’s play last night would win an Academy Award for ‘How To Beat Yourself When Playing Football’........ Starring Tommy Turnovers and Kenny Kicking Game. :?

........and Kent State showed what to do about it by winning the ‘How To Score Points Off Turnovers Award’. :wink:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:35 pm

Bet they'd have liked to get those turnovers into the end zone, rather than 3 a piece.

Would've put the game away earlier, if they had been able to.

Utah State didn't give up, though. They could easily gotten down on themselves, and just sandbagged the rest of the way.

They played Ball last night, for sure.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:55 pm

FAU are playing to prove something for sure. They have had the ponies on their heels the whole game.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:07 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:_______________________________________________

Bet they'd have liked to get those turnovers into the end zone, rather than 3 a piece.

Would've put the game away earlier, if they had been able to.

Utah State didn't give up, though. They could easily gotten down on themselves, and just sandbagged the rest of the way.

They played Ball last night, for sure.

Good QB, but didn’t have a lot around him.... :?
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:11 pm

Spence wrote:FAU are playing to prove something for sure. They have had the ponies on their heels the whole game.

Game announcers mentioned Lane Kiffen was hanging around in his Ole Miss Gear..... must have pissed them off.

Well, guess that answers the question about Kiffen maturing...... :roll:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:34 pm

Mountainman wrote:
Spence wrote:FAU are playing to prove something for sure. They have had the ponies on their heels the whole game.

Game announcers mentioned Lane Kiffen was hanging around in his Ole Miss Gear..... must have pissed them off.

I heard that. If Kiffen wanted to come root for his old team or something like that then good for him, but why would you come and show up your old team like that? I'm guessing he will want to recruit Florida for Ole Miss. I'm not sure that will help his cause.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:39 pm

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

I heard that. If Kiffen wanted to come root for his old team or something like that then good for him, but why would you come and show up your old team like that? I'm guessing he will want to recruit Florida for Ole Miss. I'm not sure that will help his cause.

Maybe there’s a fine line between a Football Offense Genius and a Complete Freakin’ Idiot.
Last edited by Mountainman on Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:48 pm

:lol: I don't know, but Idiot seems to fit him. I think it is that sort of stuff that will always be his downfall.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:48 pm

Donovan had mentioned his waning affection for Boise State; he also had a significant Disdain for Washington ...

Tonight, watching Boise get whittled down by the Huskies, I wonder if Donovan would be so dissatisfied that he would just give up on them; or would their losing to Washington reinvigorate his love affair for the Broncos.

Boise about to finally score here, but so far it has been all UW.

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:35 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:_______________________________________________

Donovan had mentioned his waning affection for Boise State; he also had a significant Disdain for Washington ...

Tonight, watching Boise get whittled down by the Huskies, I wonder if Donovan would be so dissatisfied that he would just give up on them; or would their losing to Washington reinvigorate his love affair for the Broncos.

Boise about to finally score here, but so far it has been all UW.

Appears Washington has them outmanned........ Donovan’s son played at Boise if I recall correctly, I do remember him saying that his enthusiasm had waned over the years after his son finished his playing days. I think Donovan used Boise as an example of his thoughts about the haves and those who don’t have as much and how college football was being segregated and monetized by those with financial interests above and beyond the game.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:24 pm

Boise State was personal to Donovan...his boy lived in Boise and Donovan watched games with him...don't think that he would stop being a fan.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:19 pm

billybud wrote:Boise State was personal to Donovan...his boy lived in Boise and Donovan watched games with him...don't think that he would stop being a fan.

He wouldn't have. It was a love hate thing for him. His son played for Houston Nutt there for a year then Dirk Koetter. I believe in the late 1990's. He liked Washington State too. I think his life long team, though, was BYU. I do think he followed a lot of the Pacific NW teams. He used to go to Arizona for spring training too. I was out there a few years ago and he had said he just left.

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:20 pm

Spent the weekend at various family Christmas dinner's. On the bright side, that is all done and now I have the next 3 days off work to stay home and enjoy it with wife and kids. Plenty going on, but they already know its heavy bowl games this upcoming weekend. However, I did miss most of the early bowl action. Caught the latter part of the Utah State/Kent State game. That seemed like a pretty fun game to watch. Congrats to Kent State. 1st ever bowl win.

Saw a good portion of the 1st half of the Vegas Bowl. UW was all over Boise, looks like the rest of the game was much the same way. Nice to see Petersen go out with a win but after everything going on, I was pulling for Boise to close out the season with a win. Maybe BYU will win on the island tomorrow but that will not be an easy task.

UCF is winning comfortably against Marshall at the moment. I think we all expected UCF to win but I was hoping for a better matchup. Many bowls still to go and several intriguing matchups.

Return to “General Discussion”