Upsets

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Upsets

Postby Derek » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:33 pm

Did anyone pick Missouri or A&M?? 8) :lol:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Upsets

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:12 am

After last week, I wouldn't have bet against LSU. They looked like the figured something out.

Then they traveled to Columbia, and the Tigers proved Mississippi State wasn't a fluke.

You wouldn't have thought that, watching the Bulldogs just absolutely flub against Kentucky today.

And Kiffin had his team in position to tie the game, until a botched snap forced them to go for 3, instead of 7. After that it was curtains, because Ole Miss & Bama were trading Touchdowns like it was a hot stock --- Seriously, their weren't any defensive stops until after the Rebels settled for the field goal near the end of the game --- Ole Miss had the edge, because they got the ball to start the game. But Alabama tied it before the half, and scored on the opening drive of the 3rd quarter, putting the odds the other way.

Not to be out done; Florida allowed 600 yards against them for a second time. And this time, it bit the lizards on the backside. Texas A&M looked miserable, until today.

Honestly, does anyone other than Kentucky or Georgia remember how to play Defense in that conference?

Geez O' Pete --- The Red River had 98 points in 4 Overtimes --- Ole Miss & Alabama had 111 in regulation.

I was thinking Alabama looked unbeatable. Now, I'm thinking if Georgia sticks to what they know, they should be able to wear the Tide's D out like an old pair of shoes.

It could take 1 or 2 stops by Georgia. But, if they play coverage well enough, the running game will gas Bama's Line, and put all the pressure on the safeties to fill the gaps. Georgia can win, by simply controlling the time of possession --- which plays right into Kirby's hands.

I know Doss has to have a sore foot, from kicking his TV.

Supposedly, picking up your mishandled snap and spiking it, isn't fumbling it. Even though the official rules say it is. I guess, left up to interpretation is the call. They finagled an explanation about 3 minutes later, saying it could have been ruled a legal forward pass. 'Kay, guess we'll just go with that, then.

I was impressed by Florida State, believe it or not. They came out with a little fire. And they played hard `til the end --- Yeah, the outcome was what we mostly expected it to be. But the game probably could have been a lot worse. There is a gleam of improvement in there, so all is not lost.

Miami was a disaster. Played about as well as could be expected. I did like that the defense made some adjustments, and really showed they could stop Clemson, here and there. If the offense could have been more consistent, then the game would have been closer --- The result would have been the same. However the score wouldn't have ended so lopsided --- King has to learn to throw the ball out in front of the receivers as they are streaking the sidelines. He under threw 2 of those passes, which gave Clemson's D-backs INTs. Those receivers had their guy beat. They were at least three strides ahead of the defenders. Throwing the ball to the inside behind the receiver was the equivalency of throwing the ball right to the Corner. Clemson turned those turnovers into points.

North Carolina keeps chugging away, out there. Va Tech gave them fits, but that proverbial "One Step Forward; Two Steps Back" was the rule of the day --- Everytime the Hokies scored a couple, getting within a single possession; North Carolina would turn right around and put 14 up. It kept looking as though Virginia Tech was about to make that huge shift of momentum, and finally take the lead. But the Heels would act like someone toss ice cubes in their pants, then wake up to play again.

Duke finally got a win, so there's something --- terrible for Syracuse, who still has only one win, and it is not against Duke --- that game was also a Home game for the Orange.

Boston College beat Pitt --- not sure anyone saw that coming. I did take BC in the predictions. Solely because I thought that they seemed to be making significant progress. Though, admittedly, I wasn't too certain with that selection --- I'll say this; the game came down to a kick in Overtime. so if I was going to get that one right, it played out the way I imagined it could.

I wish Highfly would pop in here and help me out with this next one --- Army had what looked to be a very stout team. They had scored 42, 37, 10 [in a loss Cincy], then 55 points on their opponents --- Then, they played The Citadel, and finished with a 14-9 win. Okay, okay ... a win is a win. But this is not the Army team I thought it was to start the season.

Thumbs Up for a complete game awards go to: Kansas State, Iowa State, Kentucky and BYU

They all played well, without the scores becoming obscene.

And with that, I conclude for the evening.

I'll have the Picks up sometime tomorrow.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:53 am

A lot of upsets this year....

Tough to pick...I missed six (I think)...

We all seemed to miss in the same range...different teams missed, maybe....but same number of misses...either 6 or 7 misses....

The Notre Dame vs Clemson game should be a great one..looking forward to it. Hate to see the Irish win this one.

Alabama and Clemson chugging on again....will they be stopped ?
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:08 pm

The last two weeks have reminded me WHY I DESPISE AND LOATHE PITT!!!!! :roll: :roll:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:56 pm

Cane still not over that call last night. Ark won that game. Auburn qb fumbled the snap, picked the ball up, and spiked it behind him. That is a live ball. Auburn players and Ark players tried to recovery the ball. An Arkansas player clearly recovers it.

SEC office says that the recovery was not fast enough. They also say that it was a fumble/live ball. But then uphold the bogus intentional grounding penalty called on the field. They are just making up stuff now. To add insult to injury they ran time off the clock (supposed to penalize Auburn but actually hurt Arkansas). You should see the ref at the replay camera grimace when he was told what to say. He knew it was not right.

Multiple college and nfl officials have weighed in on the call. All have said that it does not matter that the whistle had blown. The continuity of the play and a clear recovery of the ball should have given Ark the possession (with 28 seconds and Auburn had no timeouts). Arkansas win.

Frustrating...but glad to see that Arkansas has a real coaching staff and hope for the future.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:50 am

Derek wrote:Did anyone pick Missouri or A&M?? 8) :lol:

Yes ... Spence took A&M.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:47 am

Dossenator wrote:Cane still not over that call last night. Ark won that game. Auburn qb fumbled the snap, picked the ball up, and spiked it behind him. That is a live ball. Auburn players and Ark players tried to recovery the ball. An Arkansas player clearly recovers it.

SEC office says that the recovery was not fast enough. They also say that it was a fumble/live ball. But then uphold the bogus intentional grounding penalty called on the field. They are just making up stuff now. To add insult to injury they ran time off the clock (supposed to penalize Auburn but actually hurt Arkansas). You should see the ref at the replay camera grimace when he was told what to say. He knew it was not right.

Multiple college and nfl officials have weighed in on the call. All have said that it does not matter that the whistle had blown. The continuity of the play and a clear recovery of the ball should have given Ark the possession (with 28 seconds and Auburn had no timeouts). Arkansas win.

Frustrating...but glad to see that Arkansas has a real coaching staff and hope for the future.

I didn’t see the play as it happened, but watched a replay and read the ruling explanation this morning......... in a nutshell, the SEC said it indeed was a fumble, but the game official blew his whistle too fast and that although the Razorbacks did recover the fumble they didn’t recover the ball fast enough.

Now there’s a WTF moment if I’ve even seen one....... :? :? :?
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:33 pm

Mountainman wrote:
Dossenator wrote:Cane still not over that call last night. Ark won that game. Auburn qb fumbled the snap, picked the ball up, and spiked it behind him. That is a live ball. Auburn players and Ark players tried to recovery the ball. An Arkansas player clearly recovers it.

I didn’t see the play as it happened, but watched a replay and read the ruling explanation this morning......... in a nutshell, the SEC said it indeed was a fumble, but the game official blew his whistle too fast and that although the Razorbacks did recover the fumble they didn’t recover the ball fast enough.

Now there’s a WTF moment if I’ve even seen one....... :? :? :?

Exactly ...

Since a recovery after the whistle, if clearly a recovery occurs, the ruling is the ball becomes the possession of the recovery team.

The ruling literally became; "We'll just exuse away our mistake, rather than overturn an obvious call."

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:14 am

-------------------------------------------------------------

Yep ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgIIHCmyiRY

And gotta appreciate how the entire Big XII decided to cut class.

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:51 pm

billybud wrote:A lot of upsets this year....

We all seemed to miss in the same range...different teams missed, maybe....but same number of misses...either 6 or 7 misses....

The Notre Dame vs Clemson game should be a great one..looking forward to it. Hate to see the Irish win this one.

That is how it usually works. If someone can not have the misses and pick the right upsets they end up being the leader.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:38 am

Spence wrote:
billybud wrote:A lot of upsets this year....

That is how it usually works. If someone can not have the misses and pick the right upsets they end up being the leader.

Speaking of which, let me give a quick update on the year to date percentages:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weekly Pick`Ems Through Week Six

Scores Up to Date:
(out of a possible 98)

Mountainman: 71 = 72.44%
Spence: 69 = 70.40%
Billybud: 66 = 67.34%
Cane: 66 = 67.34%
Dossenator: 12 = 63.15% {of 19}
Derek: 44 = 61.97% {of 71}

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:19 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:

Yes ... Spence took A&M.

Just a gut feeling. I am behind and when you are behind you have to take some chances.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:22 pm

Spence wrote:
Cane from the Bend wrote:

Yes ... Spence took A&M.

Just a gut feeling. I am behind and when you are behind you have to take some chances.

This whole season, so far, has been iffy.......... akin to throwing darts at a board, while blindfolded and a little bit sozzled. :lol:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:21 pm

That is true. I'm not watching many games. I am really just stabbing in the dark.

Return to “General Discussion”