Just How Much Don't We Know.

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Just How Much Don't We Know.

Postby donovan » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:50 am

So I am reading the news. I am always interested in the immensity of space and the numbers that are mind boggling. Then I read this article.
[url]
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100419/ap_ ... e_sea_life[/url]
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Just How Much Don't We Know.

Postby WoVeU » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:34 am

Don't know more than we know. We haven't been at this long enough, and as tools get better ignorance is revealed!

I saw a show a while back where they found a place (2 different places I think) where life sprang up deep in the oceans, so deep...light is basically totally absent. And at those depths you are generally talking very cold water and very dense salinity. Tube worms, sprawled out like plants, thrive off of volcanic like fishers (hot vents) and the sulfur compounds exhausted from them, and of course these also provide heat. Photosynthesis is replaced by a symbiotic bacterial relationship. I believe the bacteria perform some form of redox process, perhaps second order, with the sulfides to produce oxygen which the tube worm consumes. I think some crabs live there as well, well some crustacean. It is a different world within our own!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Return to “Off-Topic”