ants in the pants for 2013 football to start

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Swamp Daddy
Coordinator
Coordinator

Re: ants in the pants for 2013 football to start

Postby Swamp Daddy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:22 pm

20 more days, long days, until my first fix of the 2013-14 season. :)

Swamp Daddy :wink:
visit: http://thecrunchzone.com/ for news
site moved to: http://cardinalforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1 for discussions

generic university site is: http://www.gocards.com/

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:19 am

Swamp Daddy wrote:20 more days, long days, until my first fix of the 2013-14 season. :)

Swamp Daddy :wink:

I'm excited but nervous. I'm SO unsure of how Georgia is gonna handle the gauntlet of their first five games.

That and I'm upset that I can't get my usual tickets this year. People must sense something in the air.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:17 am

It's like Easter Sunday...you go all year and then on that day, some interloper takes your pew. The Georgia hype has put a lot of pressure on you Derek..you better perform this year!!
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:47 pm

Yeah, my conference's legitimacy is hanging on it ... :wink:

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Swamp Daddy
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Swamp Daddy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:01 am

well, it's definitely just around the corner, 14 days to go, for football, the real kind. Local message boards are heating up; and talk radio is almost 99% football (thank goodness we got away from golf) around here. Rivalry game with UK is the third week.

Both the SEC and the ACC have forced UL and UK to move the rivalry game to the end of the season to join three others that are SEC/ACC rivalry games. So in 2014 when Louisville is in the ACC the game will be in late November to go along with Florida-Florida State, Georgia-Georgia Tech, and South Carolina-Clemson. I have mixed feelings about this but it is what will be.

Have fun, Swamp Daddy :)
Last edited by Swamp Daddy on Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
visit: http://thecrunchzone.com/ for news
site moved to: http://cardinalforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1 for discussions

generic university site is: http://www.gocards.com/

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:18 am

Yeah, I saw an article about that and thought, "here they go again, pushing another tradition to the side for profit" ...

Anyhow,

Kickoff Day One is Aug 29th . . .
Which is officially 7 days away.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:30 am

Swamp Daddy wrote:well, it's definitely just around the corner, 14 days to go, for football, the real kind. Local message boards are heating up; and talk radio is almost 99% football (that goodness we got away from golf) around here. Rivalry game with UK is the third week.

Both the SEC and the ACC have forced UL and UK to move the rivalry game to the end of the season to join three others that are SEC/ACC rivalry games. So in 2014 when Louisville is in the ACC the game will be in late November to go along with Florida-Florida State, Georgia-Georgia Tech, and South Carolina-Clemson. I have mixed feelings about this but it is what will be.

It was just so much better when the last game of the regular a season was rivalry day. The most unpredictable day of college football.

With SOS playing such a large part in the perpetual chase for the rainbow, that of course is never there when you think you are, there are many teams that they first and second game will determine their season in the once again ridiculous national rankings. Absurd not because of the order but because of their existence. (Just needed to make sure there was no question I have not jump ship on this point.)
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:56 am

I like the last game to be rivalry day. Too bad TV keeps trying to replicate that day, because they can't.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:07 pm

The last game of the year works for many.
And yet, many others play multiple rivals.

The balance is to have them start the season with one of their biggest games, which gives them an intense incentive to come out the gate at full competitiveness.

In this case, the media's influence over the national landscape is evident.
They are pushing for something that interests their model of football.

This has nothing to do with fan intrigue. Because two programs who start the season ranked, and play each other the opening game, whom also happen to be rivals; is a lot more a lot more interesting than a supposed pre-ranked team finding out they are not so good throughout the season, only to be further humiliated at the end of the year by their instate counterpart.

I get the potential end of season drama that could unfold by having a ranked team lose to an unranked rival to end the year (one team's chance to ruin it for the other guy).

However, in this case, Louisville would have had plenty of in conference match ups that could develop this otherwise effect.

Here, it simply is tradition taking a back seat to manufactured agenda of administrative & propagatory figureheads.

Cane... [__]

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:23 pm

Just like every other season, at this point, I've convinced myself that Texas is going undefeated, winning each game by a 100.

Texas might have a legit shot at being great...just as long as Chris Simms doesn't show up and take Major Applewhite's OC job.

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:33 pm

I wish the Iowa vs Iowa St game were the last game of the year, instead of early in the season. In my memory, I can only recall this happening once, as Iowa and Iowa St were scheduled to play on 9/11/2001. So that year the game was postponed to the end of the season.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:36 pm

RazorHawk wrote:I wish the Iowa vs Iowa St game were the last game of the year, instead of early in the season. In my memory, I can only recall this happening once, as Iowa and Iowa St were scheduled to play on 9/11/2001. So that year the game was postponed to the end of the season.

That would be pretty cool for that to be an every-year kind of thing. I wouldn't want to play my biggest rival earlier in the season because your team and their team won't be ready to go. I remember a lot of Miami and FSU fans complaining about that kind of thing.

Still, I kind of love playing Notre Dame in September every year. I always get up for that game....Mostly because one of my favorite pastimes is cheering against Notre Dame when they're good :lol:
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:13 pm

Eric wrote:
RazorHawk wrote:I wish the Iowa vs Iowa St game were the last game of the year, instead of early in the season. In my memory, I can only recall this happening once, as Iowa and Iowa St were scheduled to play on 9/11/2001. So that year the game was postponed to the end of the season.

That would be pretty cool for that to be an every-year kind of thing. I wouldn't want to play my biggest rival earlier in the season because your team and their team won't be ready to go. I remember a lot of Miami and FSU fans complaining about that kind of thing.

Still, I kind of love playing Notre Dame in September every year. I always get up for that game....Mostly because one of my favorite pastimes is cheering against Notre Dame when they're good :lol:

The other issue with this rivalry, it is a huge game for Iowa St, but not so much for Iowa. I think if it were the final game, the Hawkeyes would look at it a little differently. I remember in the late 50s and early 60s when Iowa played Notre Dame, I think in the final game of the year.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:32 pm

Swamp Daddy wrote:well, it's definitely just around the corner, 14 days to go, for football, the real kind. Local message boards are heating up; and talk radio is almost 99% football (thank goodness we got away from golf) around here. Rivalry game with UK is the third week.

I wonder how it worked out that Each of the in-state rivalries ended up in separate conferences like this??

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:33 pm

donovan wrote:It's like Easter Sunday...you go all year and then on that day, some interloper takes your pew. The Georgia hype has put a lot of pressure on you Derek..you better perform this year!!

I'm ready to go!! :D

I've got my football for dummies book out and stocked up on tackling fuel.

- John Madden

Return to “General Discussion”