Team Pride

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:17 pm

Wear it proudly, Yeofoot. 8)

Anyone who has followed this game for any length of time knows that in order to win a national title a team has to very good, have quality depth (even more so this season with 12 regular season games), and be lucky somewhere along the way. :roll:

It's a tall order to win the dag-gum thing, especially this day and time. :wink:

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:55 am

Not so fast, my friend! Yeofoot and his burnt orange buddies aren't all there is to Texas....my Texan wife (and my Texan brothers and sisters n law) make sure to remind me that the "T sippers" are riding high but the Aggies are the team of the native, boot wearin', beer drinking, average working guy Texan.

Not one of my wife's family stepped foot on the A&M campus, but the whole clan has folowed the Aggies for decades...the old man was a West Texas rancher cum ford tractor mechanic (you had to be a mechanic to ranch out there). My guess is that he gravitated to the Aggies back in the 40's and the kids grew up Aggie fans.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:35 am

irish88 wrote:other than the fact i'm 6'1 240 lbs and not in playing shape. i could get a 15 yd misconduct penalty for wearing something like that out in public.

I can relate to that. :lol:

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:22 pm

I could go around displaying the Akron logo and colors but living here in Columbus, Ohio nobody would even know what the logo was for. Sometimes I doubt that even half the football fans in my area even realize that there is a university in Akron, better yet one that has a football team that won the MAC championship last year and I only live 115 miles from the Akron campus.

Hopefully continued success with the Zips program and some of their alums like Jason Taylor, Dwight Smith, and Charlie Frye will help garner some more noteriety for the program.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:03 pm

My throwback jersey would be Earl Campbell, one of my Dad's college buddies! He is to Austin what Jack Nicholson is to the Oscars. The coolest guy in the room.

I can only imagine how Vince Young will be treated if he retires to Austin like Earl did. The field is named after Royall, wouldn't surprise me none if they just renamed Austin "Vinstin".

Sorry, that was lame, lol.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:26 pm

Earl Campbell was one of the best straight ahead runners I ever saw. If he had someone blocking in front of him in the NFL he would have really put up some numbers. He never went down on the first hit.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:30 am

Watching the old NFL Films of Campbell plowing guys over was truly a sight to see.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:00 am

i have a red tag on the front of my car with an "A" on it, t-shirts, jerseys and hats.
i've seen people who ride around with those flag thingys on the windows year round but i'm not that bad.

although we do tend to buy vehicles that will match our alabama tags. mine is a black 4 runner, daughter drives a gray 4 runner and husband has a red dually.
:lol: ok that's pretty bad

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:16 am

In 2003 I was a graduate student with the University of Arkansas Band. When the Razorbacks traveled that year to take on #5 Texas in Austin several of the band members talked me and the assistant director to shave our heads if the Hogs won. About 20 of the students agreed to do so as well. So, the Hogs beat Texas 38-28. When we made it back to the Hotel....there were two electric hair trimmers waiting with no guards on them. We stood in a line and all 22 of us got our heads shaved balled. I have a photo of it and still can not believe I did it. Have you ever seen 22 balled white guys....and the bad part of it was that we had been in the sun and our face and necks were tan (or in some cases burnt) and our heads were extra white. :D

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:23 am

Dossenator wrote:Have you ever seen 22 balled white guys....

....... and every one of them wondering how Michael Jordan can look so good that way. :D

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:18 pm

One better like or get used to Big Orange and Rocky Top if they are within 200 miles of Knoxville ...... some of the most avid fans in college football hang around Neyland Stadium. :lol:

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:51 pm

Speaking of Tennessee, Boomer, how do you think they will fare this season? I've gotten some "what are you thinking?" responses from the posters about Tennessee being in the national title game. I think that the talent is definately there. I suppose they're a pretty young team, but if they survive the first part of the schedule, they'll be okay. Cutcliffe alone, I think, will be enough to boost the offense.

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:17 pm

I think they could take care of the Cokcs and the Hogs. Your scenario is a possibility. If they survive the Cal game, I think they'll be alright this year. If they get dismantled against Cal's running game, it could be like last year.

They don't have a whole lot returning on D, at least if I recall correctly.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:22 pm

Wow .... if that's the way the season goes for the Vols, I'll say you're right about Fulmer's retirement.

The bar and expectations at Tennessee are set high and for the Vols to have the season they did last year followed by a .500 season this year would be a disaster in the mind of Vols supporters. They will be hollering for Fulmer's head on a platter.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:16 pm

VOL COUNTRY...LOL...when its evening and the AM radio stations get an atmospheric bounce, I get a Tennessee station that bleeds over our local sports station. Listening in is a hoot.

Caller: Hello? Hello? Hello?

Station: You're on the air

Caller: Am I on the air?

Station: You are on the air, please turn your radio down.

Caller: Howse I gonna hear ya then?

Station: You are on the phone.

Caller: Oh! Right!

Caller: Coach I think you are doing a great job..I just called in to say beat Bama.

Station: Well thank you Bobby, we will give it our best. Do you have anything else?

Caller: Jes want to holler out Go Vols!

And so it goes.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Return to “General Discussion”