BCS Rankings and Bowls...

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Grayghost
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: BCS Rankings and Bowls...

Postby Grayghost » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:07 pm

In California...at least the part that I come from, barbecue requires sauce, whether beef, pork or chicken. I have heard of potato pancakes but never seen them. The only hard alcohol we drink with coke is rum. I have never been to a waffle house...but I am sure IHOP is the same thing. Jello salad in any form is disgusting. What the hell is "apple pan dowdy"? Like Spence, I am a steak guy, or Prime Rib. The only whiskey I drink is Jameson's. I'm not big on seafood, but clams, lobster and shrimp are fine. Catfish and trout are also acceptable. We have our share of buffet restaurants, but I only frequent them when that is where the person who is buying wants to go. I like garden veggies as well, but have no problems with deep fried zuccini or mushrooms. Any meat that comes out dry is just criminal.

And starbucks is the devil. :twisted:
I dont care who wins as long as Notre Dame loses!

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:10 pm

Spence...North Carolina has two styles...eastern and western Carolina styles....once you get inland a ways, you change style of barbeque.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:16 pm

billybud wrote:Spence...North Carolina has two styles...eastern and western Carolina styles....once you get inland a ways, you change style of barbeque.

Then I should say I like the vinegar and mustard kind.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:17 pm

Some guy at the Boise game tailgate put the half beef on a spit and just slow cooks it all night and then people come by and he just gives them slices.....Never saw the need for aged beef to be dowsed in ketchup, no matter what kind of sauce you call it.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:22 pm

donovan wrote:Some guy at the Boise game tailgate put the half beef on a spit and just slow cooks it all night and then people come by and he just gives them slices.....Never saw the need for aged beef to be dowsed in ketchup, no matter what kind of sauce you call it.

We agree here. Good beef isn't like anything else, it needs nothing to be good except fire.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:34 pm

I like brisket done right..and they have a place in Tally that does brisket well. No sauces unless you pour one on...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:37 pm

I cooked a couple of ribeyes from Costco's (believe it or not) tonight. They cut them for you...I like mine 1 1/2 inches thick. With a salad and baked potato.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:38 pm

billybud wrote:I cooked a couple of ribeyes from Costco's (believe it or not) tonight. They cut them for you...I like mine 1 1/2 inches thick. With a salad and baked potato.

Dang Mr. Billybud...we all dream when you make this all a reality....

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:07 pm

I like to cook...

I grill, of course..but I also like to cook in the kitchen. I range from a curried chicken salad, through Northern Italian, to home cooking.

On days like today..I was tired...it easy to do steaks, salad and potato.

Brian Roastbeef
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Brian Roastbeef » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:01 pm

Okay, I'll itemize the NY opinion here.This is clearly serious business. :lol:

1. Rum goes in coke. Sometimes college kids put Jack in there, but they'll drink anything. Personally, coke is for when I'm not drinking. My liquor of choice was vodka.
2. Waffle House is a place that I've never entered. I've seen them on road trips though. None are in NY, just states to the South of us.
3. Jell-O is for kindergarten kids and hospital patients.
4. Agreed that good beef needs only fire, and not even too much of that. Steaks are medium rare at most.
5. Seafood for me stops at fried haddock. Back in the day I liked me some Maryland crab cakes as well, but I stopped eating those a while back.
6. Potato pancakes are okay... but not a headliner. If you are eating one, chances are you have found a German restaurant.
7. The South has a monopoly on BBQ - even Dinosaur is all borrowed, but NY owns pizza. If you are in Pizza Hut, you are just pretending.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:51 pm

I agree on the Haddock. It is my favorite Codfish. New York Pizza is the only way to make Pizza. The tomato sauce cake with cheese in the bottom they make in Chicago just isn't my thing. Crabcakes - again when done right - are some of the best eating around.

What you didn't mention about NY food is the Pastrami. You can't visit NY without hitting a deli for some giant Pastrami sandwiches. No I'm just hungry.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:59 pm

billybud wrote:I cooked a couple of ribeyes from Costco's (believe it or not) tonight. They cut them for you...I like mine 1 1/2 inches thick. With a salad and baked potato.

Ribeye is a good cut. It is the no mistake steak. They have enough marbling that even if you like steak well done they are edible. Almost always tender, but not mushy like fillet. They can be dry aged right if you get them with the bone. It is east to wet age them. Steak, salad, and potato is the easiest meal to make so it is easily my favorite. I like to grill too. I can get my surface heat on the infared grill to about 750 degrees. I would like to get a professional one to get a surface temp about 1200 - the way to make steak perfect - but it is hard to justify the cost.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:16 am

We are talking food here Spence...go for it....this is no time to worry about the kid's new shoes.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:00 am

donovan wrote:We are talking food here Spence...go for it....this is no time to worry about the kid's new shoes.

Talk to my wife. :lol:

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:56 am

Spence wrote:

Ribeye is a good cut. It is the no mistake steak. They have enough marbling that even if you like steak well done they are edible. Almost always tender, but not mushy like fillet. They can be dry aged right if you get them with the bone. It is east to wet age them. Steak, salad, and potato is the easiest meal to make so it is easily my favorite. I like to grill too. I can get my surface heat on the infared grill to about 750 degrees. I would like to get a professional one to get a surface temp about 1200 - the way to make steak perfect - but it is hard to justify the cost.

Yeah Spence..you said it about right. I can grab a ribeye and know what I'll get. Costco sells Prime beef cut to your specs at a decent price and that amazed me..I was using Fresh Market which has our best meat counter. They also cut Prime to your specs.

I like T Bone and Porterhouse and do not buy sirloin...If it is all that I can get, I'll take a NY strip. I have an infra red, maybe not restaurant quality, for giving you char outside and that red moist middle. I have found, before I had that infra red grill, that I could approximate the feel and taste by using a cast iron skillet heated blacksmith hot to sear the surface and give it that salt, pepper, and natural juice crust.

Return to “General Discussion”