Season Preview 2006

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Postby Eric » Wed May 17, 2006 12:49 pm

Well, alright, but he's pretty darn good. If you're going to start at USC, you're pretty good. Especially when he won out against Mark Sanchez, or was at least battling with a tremendous talent, before Sanchez got caught up in that off-the-field issue.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu May 18, 2006 11:18 pm

rolltide wrote:Look out for Auburn. I really don't see Florida getting it done this year. Urban Meyer will probably cry again.

And nothing would please me more. :lol:

The first year he was there, they started calling him "The legend"

What a joke....
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri May 26, 2006 8:40 pm

How about the Heisman guys? Who do you think has the best chance to win it?

I like Adrian Peterson. I think that Brian Brohm will be more deserving this year, but since I think OU is going to win the title, he'll be the posterboy of that team.

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed May 31, 2006 1:04 pm

I remember that Cincinnati only had 6 starters coming back from the 2004 Fort Worth Bowl champion teams when they defeated Marshall. It sounds like they are getting a good deal of them back? If not, how many?

I don't buy into the "this team has x amount of starters coming back" all of the time, but sometimes it can be important when talking about experience and if you are to expect them to come up short in tight ballgames.

It sounds like Cincinnati won't be a bad team this year, but at least competitve. Do you think there is the slightest chance for a bowl game for the Bearcats?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed May 31, 2006 3:13 pm

rolltide wrote:It depends on the position, whether or not you need starters coming back. Experience always helps, but some positions are less important when it come to experience in my opinion. I think recievers are one case where experience is not that important. Most can learn alot in the spring and summer practices.

I agree. I think the O-line, especially the center, are the hardest to replace. Followed by the defensive backs and the defensive tackles. Most other positions can be filled with talent. Experience is the biggest factor on the O-line and in the defensive backfield.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed May 31, 2006 3:27 pm

Quarterback isn't an easy position to replace either. If the QB has little or no experience, the beginning of the season isn't much of a smooth transition.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed May 31, 2006 3:37 pm

Eric wrote:Quarterback isn't an easy position to replace either. If the QB has little or no experience, the beginning of the season isn't much of a smooth transition.

I agree, but the QB is easier to replace at the college level. All a coach has to do is limit the offense. Also if the O-line is hitting on all cylinders a very average QB can make plays in CFB.

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:41 pm

Nebraska will turn out to pretty good this year, in my opinion. I think Zac Taylor, with one year's experience in the system, will shine this year. Do I think they'll win the Big 12? No. Big 12 North? I don't know about that either. But they have just as good a shot as anyone. I don't think Colorado will be in it because a couple Buffalo fans I know of say the QB situation is ugly. Kansas is a team to keep an eye on. A new coach always brings in new hope that there might be a chance for an instant turnaround, so Kansas State will be another to watch. I think it comes down to Iowa State and Nebraska. I think this might be the year for the Cyclones.

As for the Huskers, they'll be a top 20 team at the end of the year for sure.

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:33 pm

The preview came out for Kentucky today. Considering this is the preview thread, what do you think of their prospects this season? They look good to me, believe it or not! Rafael Little is a very good running back and Andre Woodson should win the QB job. I think Kentucky gets 5 wins this year. I just thought this could make for some discussion.

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:23 pm

I would laugh my head off if Indiana, Baylor, and Kentucky were bowl eligible this year (all having a chance to) :lol:

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:58 pm

Now for my Michigan preview:

Offense:

The quarterback is Chad Henne, of course, and he should be even better in his junior season. He has some good options at wideout with Manningham (soph) and Breaston. Avant will be missed, but the Michigan recievers should be fine. If Hart can remain healthy in the backfield, and Michigan doesn't have to rely on Grady so much (who had a bad touch of fumblitis early on), the running game should be superb. I think Michigan will have one of the best running games in the nation going for them in 06. The offensive line looks fine to me. No holes, as usual.

Defense:

I'm not too caught up on the D. As of right now, David Harris looks very good. We have a slew of other linebackers who are good and productive such as: Shawn Crable, Prescott Burgess, and Chris Graham. The linebacking core should be awesome, so expect Michigan to be one of the better run defense teams in the nation. Other than that, I really don't have anything to say else about a defense that appears to be pretty good, but not great.

Special Teams:

Garrett Rivas has been inconsistent. I say that nicely :lol: . He didn't appear to do great in spring practice. The punting situation is mediocre with Ross Ryan and Zoltan Mesko leading charge for the starter. Mesko has been making some large kicks, but from what I've read, he's even more inconsistent at punting than Rivas is at kicking. He's only a freshman though, so I'll cut him some slack. Ross is average. The kick and punt return game seem to be what will carry the load for field position. Breaston, Manningham, or Hall will likely become the KR/PR. The coverage team has some good special teams players as well.

Michigan looks solid this year. The main problem will not be the offense or the defense, but the special teams and coaching! The kicking game is terrible, the punting game isn't going to get them great field position, and Breaston wasn't very effective when he was the kick returner last year, as say, he was when he really made some noise looking like Devin Hester out there. Lloyd will blow a few games. His conservative play-calling normally screws Michigan over a few times.

So, after all of this, expect another typical Wolverine season. They'll lose to two rivals (Notre Dame and Ohio State :x ) and a Big 10 team that they shouldn't (Minnesota/Northwestern/Purdue) and finish 9-3. That'll get them in the Capital One Bowl coming out of there with a loss to Auburn.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:47 pm

:P :P They will probably beat Notre Dame. :P :P

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:54 pm

HuskerMoon wrote:"Zoltan Mesko"

Now thats a cool name. Is he eastern European?

Don't you think the Wolverines will at least win one of their two rivalry games Eric?

I wouldn't count on it...... :(

Michigan doesn't look that they can compare to either of them. They could probably take on Ohio State early in the year, but at the end of the year, that Buckeye defense should be fantastic. Notre Dame will just pick the secondary apart, and with the way Lloyd coaches, ND should win by 17 or so.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:02 pm

By any coach's standards, he's had a good career. Even so, I believe he hasn't done as much as he can with the talent that is Michigan football. If he hadn't been so conservative in his coaching career, I think you might see a 10+ difference in his win/loss record.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:48 pm

Bo picked him.

Return to “General Discussion”