How fast does the tip of the iceberg melt in hot water?

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

How fast does the tip of the iceberg melt in hot water?

Postby donovan » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:02 am

This is the tip of the iceberg, I think. If true and it appears there is sufficient evidence, they can not be the only school. Why do schools do this? Why do otherwise moral and honest people feel the pressure to cheat? What causes righteous people to turn to dishonesty. This story, like so many others is about symptoms and not causes. Players do stupid things. They are young and the spotlight of attention with all of its fame and glory is hard to handle. We all get that. But these are institutions supported by taxes and endowments. These are adults charged with administering these schools. These are good men gone bad. Why?

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Sports/2013/0910/OSU-allegations-Did-Oklahoma-State-pay-football-players
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: How fast does the tip of the iceberg melt in hot water?

Postby Yeofoot » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:50 am

Like Bill Bellamy said...The first rule is Don't Get Caught!

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:00 pm

Or Jesse Ventura . . . "It ain't cheatin', if you don't get caught."

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:21 pm

This seems bad. SMU type bad. The $100 hand shakes by boosters happen all the time. You can't really stop them. Coaches and school employees be involved makes the hot water steaming.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Vileborg
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Vileborg » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:16 pm

Yahoo sports is releasing a scandal that has more bite. Players from several SEC schools and they have bank records, communications, and wire transfers.

Unlike the other scandal they seem to have actual hard nose evidence.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--doc ... 13237.html

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:28 am

What's so amusing to me about all this...how vilified these players are. Most of them did not commit a crime, or even commit a sin, moral or Christian. Yet, they are "bad people" in these articles because they didn't follow NCAA scripture.

I do hope the OSU hostesses were hotter than the Texas hostesses that I had during my Texas visit...they were solid 6s, some were 4s.

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:23 am

Yeofoot wrote:What's so amusing to me about all this...how vilified these players are. Most of them did not commit a crime, or even commit a sin, moral or Christian. Yet, they are "bad people" in these articles because they didn't follow NCAA scripture.

I do hope the OSU hostesses were hotter than the Texas hostesses that I had during my Texas visit...they were solid 6s, some were 4s.
That is pretty ironic.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:50 am

Yeofoot wrote:What's so amusing to me about all this...how vilified these players are. Most of them did not commit a crime, or even commit a sin, moral or Christian. Yet, they are "bad people" in these articles because they didn't follow NCAA scripture.

For the sake of discussion. There is a difference between student athletes violating rules, which they agreed to follow and institutions and employees of the institutions violating rules the agreed to follow.
We give the students some slack. We suspend them for three games because the took $4.58 cents too much when they let someone buy them lunch at McDonald's....true story or we suspend them for one half because they..well...not sure what they did....youthful indiscretion or bureaucratic insanity....they are treated differently, as well we should, from those in the other category. The is not a judgment that they are good or bad, moral or immoral, just they violated rules they agreed to follow. And yes...I think some are jerks and have a Machiavellian sense of entitlement.

Institutions and their employees are something else again. They are the keepers of the gate, entrusted with young people to guide, direct and mold them for their future. Schools voluntarily belong to the NCAA and agree to abide by their rules. When they violate those rules they should be punished. They knew better, they represented themselves as knowing better and that they could be guardians of our youth. They proclaimed themselves to be "good" people and were hired on that basis. Making bad decisions does not make them bad, but it does destroy trust that has been given them. They should be dismissed from employment just like any employee that violates a company rule should be dismissed if that is the rule. I do not like the NCAA. I think what started out to be a good idea has run amok. I blame the boards of trustees that allow college presidents to abdicated their responsibilities to that organization.

We always need to be careful of knee jerk reaction. I believe Coach Paterno took an unwarranted fall in that scandal, as atrocious as it was. It was right the President and others were fired, they knew and did nothing.

One of the concerns I have with the system is the vast amounts of money, and I mean vast, more than anybody can imagine, unless compared to my friend Mr. Billybud who has more money in his saddlebags...al bearer bonds printed in gold leaf..but I digress.....So here is the rub. A football coach, who comes up through the ranks to coach all the sudden is responsible to regulate Nike's money to the college program plus the boosters and the TV rights and it goes on and on. Why do we think they should be qualified to do that anymore than I should be a caddy for Razorback, just because I love golf.

Good people making bad decisions does not make them good or bad, just bad decision makers. The other is left to Him whose right it is to judge.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:40 pm

For the sake of discussion. There is a difference between student athletes violating rules, which they agreed to follow and institutions and employees of the institutions violating rules the agreed to follow.

Absolutely. Employees of the school get paid. They aren't young. They aren't impressionable. They aren't kids.

I believe if the kids screw up they should face consequences, but if the adults screw up, it should be worse. In the case of Ohio State, If it were just about the kids, I would have objected to the punishment. It wasn't. I said nothing. The reason was that at some point the head coach found out and he let it happen. That, in my eyes, is worse than the original offense. The institutions have to have and be held to a higher standard. I can forgive a student for taking money that allows him to eat, I have a harder time feeling sorry for the guy who is getting paid.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “General Discussion”