Stop it, Florida State

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Stop it, Florida State

Postby Eric » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:24 pm

It's 35-0 with 2 minutes left in the first quarter against NC State. NC State has problems, but Florida State has been flawless.....Again. Send the fans home, warm the buses, change the channel. This is getting ridiculous, Billybud, you have to make these guys stop for the good of college football :lol:
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Stop it, Florida State

Postby billybud » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:29 pm

Hey...the starting defense did not play a down in the second half...the starting offense played one series in the second half...

The two deep rested and the 3s and 4s and inexperienced kids played in the second half....

But, yeah...FSU was going to have a hard time keeping focus when up so much, so early...so why not sit the two deep and play the bench?
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:05 pm

It appears FSU could beat anyone right now. When they back the camera up, every player seems to be in position, you don't see anyone on the Seminoles team that does seem to know where they are suppose to be and that is where they are.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Old Ducker
All-American
All-American

Postby Old Ducker » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:02 pm

Oregon vs FSU would be a terrific game since neither play boring, big boy foobaw like Alabama.
The artist formerly known as Fluiddude

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:07 pm

It would be. Giving the SEC it dues, they play very boring football. But they are good. Good players, good coaches good tradition. Just boring. Reminds me of watching moving pictures of myself, just boring.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:25 pm

I don't understand what playing defense has to do with boring football. I actually think the two minute uncontested scores are less than exciting. I also know that when a good offense meets a boring defense, the boring defense usually wins the day. I long for the day Ohio State finds a good old fashioned boring defense.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:46 pm

I don't feel SEC football is boring at all.

Should Florida St, Alabama and Oregon all go unbeaten (probably won't happen), what a shame that 1 team will not have an opportunity to compete for the BCS championship.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:58 pm

I don't think it is either. I like watching Alabama play. Their defense is getting better each week. They have a ton of talent on offense. They don't run the up tempo kind of offenses that teams are going to, but they can score and they can stop other teams from scoring.

Old Ducker
All-American
All-American

Postby Old Ducker » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:09 pm

Spence wrote:I don't understand what playing defense has to do with boring football. I actually think the two minute uncontested scores are less than exciting. I also know that when a good offense meets a boring defense, the boring defense usually wins the day. I long for the day Ohio State finds a good old fashioned boring defense.

On rare occasions, two teams with excellent defenses and atrocious offenses produce epic games. 2007 Auburn vs. Miss St. comes to mind (3-2), however rather than enjoyment, I would more term the titillation as schadenfreude.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:16 pm

I don't mind to watch two teams with good offenses and good defenses play and see which one hiccups first. I think Oregon has a defense in this year's incarnation. People like to think Bama doesn't, but their offense is better than most think. Alabama has a very good football team. I think Bama against the Ducks will be a really good game. I just wouldn't look for as much scoring as you would think.

The question I would have for the Oregon D would be can they withstand those long drawn out scoring drives of Alabama? Bama likes to wear out defenses and then let their defense be the work horse. It will be an interesting game for sure. I haven't decided who I am picking yet.

Old Ducker
All-American
All-American

Postby Old Ducker » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:16 pm

Spence wrote:I don't mind to watch two teams with good offenses and good defenses play and see which one hiccups first. I think Oregon has a defense in this year's incarnation. People like to think Bama doesn't, but their offense is better than most think. Alabama has a very good football team. I think Bama against the Ducks will be a really good game. I just wouldn't look for as much scoring as you would think.

The question I would have for the Oregon D would be can they withstand those long drawn out scoring drives of Alabama? Bama likes to wear out defenses and then let their defense be the work horse. It will be an interesting game for sure. I haven't decided who I am picking yet.

If Oregon played a mistake-prone, poor execution half as they did against UCLA, it would be a bad day for the Ducks. Of course Oregon got it's stuff together in the second half, which is what great teams do. Oregon has an excellent defensive front and secondary; our linebackers are mediocre imo. However it is Oregon who excels at tiring out defenses and do it with frequent substitution. I don't think Alabama could do that to us and while it may appear arrogant to say so, I think if we are defeated, the loss will likely be self-inflicted. Our kicker also sucks. How bad is he? Saturday he blew a 37 yd. field goal and punted seven times consequitively out of bounds. Can we haz yours?

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:36 am

I don't think I ever said it was boring because of the defense, or the offense. It is boring because of the predictability of the games and how they are executed. And maybe I am influenced by banality of the sports commentators.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:37 am

Old Ducker wrote:
Spence wrote:I don't mind to watch two teams with good offenses and good defenses play and see which one hiccups first. I think Oregon has a defense in this year's incarnation. People like to think Bama doesn't, but their offense is better than most think. Alabama has a very good football team. I think Bama against the Ducks will be a really good game. I just wouldn't look for as much scoring as you would think.

If Oregon played a mistake-prone, poor execution half as they did against UCLA, it would be a bad day for the Ducks. Of course Oregon got it's stuff together in the second half, which is what great teams do. Oregon has an excellent defensive front and secondary; our linebackers are mediocre imo. However it is Oregon who excels at tiring out defenses and do it with frequent substitution. I don't think Alabama could do that to us and while it may appear arrogant to say so, I think if we are defeated, the loss will likely be self-inflicted. Our kicker also sucks. How bad is he? Saturday he blew a 37 yd. field goal and punted seven times consequitively out of bounds. Can we haz yours?

Oregon does try to wear out defenses with frequent substitution. If you play a team that doesn't allow that, and Alabama can play that way, then it causes problems. It is the same way Ohio State played Oregon a few years ago. This Oregon team is better than that one, but Alabama is better than Ohio State then too. I think Oregon-Alabama will be a good game. Closer and lots lower scoring than most would think. I wouldn't be surprised with a 31-24 final score, but I haven't decided who I like on top yet.

I think Oregon has the best all around QB in cfb and he should win the Heisman. (probably won't, but should) I think Alabama's qb is underated. He is a pro style qb in a pro style offense. They don't play run, run, pass football. They play pro style and can attack from lots of formations. Bama's defense is good at disguising coverages. They are good at containing the qb in the pocket. Still Oregon is an animal like they haven't seen this year.

I think Florida State matches up with either team better than they do with each other, but it doesn't appear they have a pathway to the game this year.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:38 pm

I thought I would use this thread to sing the praises of Florida State even more: Florida State is up 35-0 (as usual) early in the second quarter. Five drives, five touchdowns. And Syracuse hasn't even gotten Florida State to third down yet. :shock:

How is this even possible? I know the lower rung of the ACC doesn't play very much defense, but come on.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:29 pm

Hey, Syrupruse . . . Welcome to the ACC.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Return to “General Discussion”