Nobody is Saying Much...

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Nobody is Saying Much...

Postby billybud » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:37 pm

But Tallahassee is shocked, shocked I tell you!

Duke beat Virginia Tec. I felt the seismic heaves.

Parity, a down VT team? Or is Cutcliffe doing something really nice with the Blue Devils?

I think I would vote Cutcliffe as an ACC COY candidate...6 wins and bowl eligibility for Duke already.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Nobody is Saying Much...

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:55 pm

Bowl eligible again.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:18 pm

Embarrassment personified and magnified. Logan Thomas is a nightmare at QB. Can't read the read option, can't find the open receiver, and usually can't hit him in the rare event that he does finds the right one to throw to. Turrible, I tell you. Turrible. Sadly, I can't wait til the season is over so Logan's career will be done with.
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:42 pm

..fanatic wrote:Embarrassment personified and magnified. Logan Thomas is a nightmare at QB. Can't read the read option, can't find the open receiver, and usually can't hit him in the rare event that he does finds the right one to throw to. Turrible, I tell you. Turrible. Sadly, I can't wait til the season is over so Logan's career will be done with.

And watch him get drafted by an NFL team over someone like Jimmy Garoppolo :roll:

"He's so big! He's so strong! He's so tall!" Yes, but can he throw a football :lol: . I've never seen what these scouts see in him and I hope they come to their senses. He was solid in 2011, but he's been dreadful ever since.

Thomas is a bad QB, but I don't mean to dump on him unfairly. There are a lot of bad starting QBs in the FBS. I just want to make heads and tails of this situation and find out what these scouts were smoking. Virginia Tech needs a complete overhaul on offense as well. I realize it's an area that fans have complained about on a yearly basis, but nothing changes much, right? Stinespring was demoted and not relieved of his duties completely and Scot Loeffler is another vanilla addition to the coaching staff that doesn't bring any innovation to the table.

The most shocking thing about this game was that Duke won it playing as horrendously on offense as they could have. Virginia Tech's defense is there to play, as usual. If you told me Duke won, I would have assumed they cracked VT's defense somehow and scored 35 points, which is how they usually win since their defense is so bad. The fact that VT had no answers against Duke's defense was beyond comprehension. Maybe they have turned something of a corner considering they've given up 39 points in their last three games, but I'm a little scarred from watching them flounder against Georgia Tech, Pitt, and Troy who hung 127 points on them.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:47 pm

I hate rematches....could this mean that it is a lock for Miami to play in the CCG?

I would hate for FSU to have to play their big rival twice in a year.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:18 pm

Virginia Tech could still possibly get there. Miami seems to be that kind of team that slugs it out and finds ways to win. If Wake and North Carolina pushed them, Virginia Tech can as well, even with the game in Miami. Plus, assuming a Florida State steamrolling which I believe to be quite possible (sorry Cane :D ), there could be a hangover effect.

Old Ducker
All-American
All-American

Postby Old Ducker » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:06 pm

The ACC is very top heavy this year.
The artist formerly known as Fluiddude

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:48 pm

Old Ducker wrote:The ACC is very top heavy this year.

Which is better than some years, with little weight at all. :)
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Vileborg
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Vileborg » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:33 pm

There is a lot to this formula. It is one part Logan, one part mediocre O-Line, and one part lack of a running back.

ODU was starting to soak up talent out of VT's recruiting hot spot and with them going FBS the well is drying up and Both UVA and VT need to adapt or wither into mediocrity.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:13 pm

Old Dominion does have some offensive talent this year. I've been keeping an eye on them and they've had a couple games where they've been getting yardage but haven't cashed them in for points (against Norfolk State and Liberty). I think last year's version was a better team. I watched them against Pitt and they were competitive for a while, but their defense has been pretty abysmal. It's unfortunate that Heineke only gets one year in C-USA, I would have liked to see him against FBS competition a little bit more.

Return to “General Discussion”