Nasty Storm Coming . . .

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Nasty Storm Coming . . .

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:23 pm

I know this isn't exactly a football story (less you plan on traveling this weekend), but I'd like to make note of the severe winter storm blasting its way across the country.

I hope those of you within the path of this monster have had the time to prepare to stock up on food, get your bags of salt/sand to combat the ice cover, and have some sort of reserve power source, as the forewarning is that this front could affect as many as 52 million people.

Thankfully, South Bend is far enough north, that we will not see the harsh conditions that mid to lower Indiana will get (we are only effected by a decrease in temperature) [Eric, thankfully, I believe you are not in this storms line either] --- From Dallas to Cincinnati, with pockets of cold, that are being estimated to bring a possible 1/2 of an inch or more of ice.

This type of conditions can cause massive damage to trees & power lines, due to the weight of the ice.

Here are my wishes, that you all are safe & in good health ... my prayers are with you.

Last edited by Cane from the Bend on Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Nasty Storm Coming . . .

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:19 pm

The temperature here was 67 yesterday, 45 today, and expected to be in the teens tomorrow. You never know what you are going to get.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:38 pm

Yeah, as I mentioned, we saw a dramatic drop in temperature ... it's forecasted that it's only going to get colder.

Ironic, you posted, you never know what you're going to get; as yesterday, they were predicting 40 degrees for today ... it's presently 32, expected to bottom out tonight around 25 ... tomorrow night they're talking 17.

It was 55 degrees here yesterday (they said it would be 45).

We got about a foot of snow a week ago ... now, we are snowless, and southern Indiana is about to get covered --- we might see 2 or 3 inches (hardly worth shoveling).

I see now, that Monday's low is projected to be 9 . . .

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Old Ducker
All-American
All-American

Postby Old Ducker » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:57 pm

Okay, so instead of being warm and humid here in Houston, it will be cold and humid... :roll:
The artist formerly known as Fluiddude

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:28 pm

I think the most we're going to get up here is freezing temperatures. Best wishes to anybody who is down that way.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:33 pm

Heading for North Carolina Sunday (after Saturday's games)...hopefully no icy roads by then.

As a Floridian, I have no experience with icy driving conditions....and, on a mountain road, that would worry me some.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:52 pm

I am in Sacremento CA and leave tomorrow night at 10:55 on a red eye to Atlanta. I hope it does not affect my flight, since I have to be in Fort Worth TX on Monday morning. :shock:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Old Ducker
All-American
All-American

Postby Old Ducker » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:21 pm

billybud wrote:Heading for North Carolina Sunday (after Saturday's games)...hopefully no icy roads by then.

As a Floridian, I have no experience with icy driving conditions....and, on a mountain road, that would worry me some.

I do. Accelerate gently. If you have a manual transmission, start out with a higher gear (the highest you can use without stalling). Use downshifting (engine compression) for slowing rather than hitting the brakes, when possible. Don't make any sudden moves. Keep space between vehicles in front and behind. If, for whatever reason, you find yourself in a spin, turn with it rather than against it; better to do cookies in the middle of the road than end up in a ditch (or a tree).
The artist formerly known as Fluiddude

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:14 am

I do too. Stay home.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:00 am

Thanks Ducker....
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:44 am

We've got about an inch of ice underneath about a foot of snow. I can't wait to take my son sledding for his first time!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:47 am

I wish everyone would follow Duckers advice. The problem in ice is not only acceleration but braking. If you have ABS brakes you should just keep your foot on them and don't let up, the system will do the pumping. Regular brakes pumping does work. What I see is often just the other guy, we have all these four wheel drivers who think they can just drive normally in snow and ice. All vehicles have four wheel brakes and those monster trucks do not stop any better than any other car. And staying home is not as facetious as it sounds.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:21 pm

donovan wrote:I wish everyone would follow Duckers advice. The problem in ice is not only acceleration but braking. If you have ABS brakes you should just keep your foot on them and don't let up, the system will do the pumping. Regular brakes pumping does work. What I see is often just the other guy, we have all these four wheel drivers who think they can just drive normally in snow and ice. All vehicles have four wheel brakes and those monster trucks do not stop any better than any other car. And staying home is not as facetious as it sounds.

I'm on the road tonight. Freezing rain and snow as we speak. I have plenty of experience driving on ice and snow. if you go slow enough you can usually make it. You never know about the other guy. It is foolish to say "I will be ok", so I won't because I don't know. Down shifting in ice is the way to go instead of braking. No one should ever ride a bike on ice. Experience or not it isn't safe.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:31 pm

Be safe out there Spence...

Cane... [__]

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:44 pm

DaversWR wrote:I am reporting from the Rogue Valley(Oregon) and we have just got our first snow of this winter. It's a light and slow fall but it is sticking to the ground. Most of all the schools have been canceled along with some daycares. Just to give you an idea of how we are not use to this weather. It's suppose to be a low of single digits tomorrow.

Welcome...we need more West Coast people to balance those that live East of ... well, let's say Medford.

Return to “General Discussion”