Smelling a Week 2 Upset?

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Smelling a Week 2 Upset?

Postby Eric » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:28 pm

Out of these games....:

Missouri @ Toledo
Arkansas State @ Tennessee
Akron @ Penn State
Eastern Washington @ Washington
Ball State @ Iowa
Middle Tennessee @ Minnesota
Richmond @ Virginia
Wagner @ Florida International
Gardner-Webb @ Wake Forest
Towson @ West Virginia

....Which do you think have the potential to be upsets? Toledo is always very tough at home. I wanted to have this game in the Pick'em, but I felt there was too much "MACtion" and that nobody would pick Toledo. Tennessee last night, as I see it, was a fluke. They still had the characteristic miscues on offense that plagued them last year. The defense will keep Arkansas State in check, but I think this will be a much closer win for the Vols than it was last night. Utah State's running game is just completely hapless.

Akron I think could hang in with Penn State. Wouldn't surprise me to see the Nittany Lions have a bit of a hangover after their great win in Ireland, but Hackenberg is too good and should pick them apart in the second half. Vernon Adams will be the best QB on the field in the EWU/UW game. I don't know if Cyler Miles has been reinstated, but I think this game will go down the wire for a close Washington win. I'm picking Ball State over Iowa for no reason, just a hunch. It seems like a very Kirk Ferentz kind of thing to do. BSU will need to get lucky, but they can win a low-scoring game if Iowa's offense sputters. Middle Tennessee has a shot against the Gophers since Minnesota is so one-dimensional and not high scoring. A couple of breaks can keep the Blue Raiders in it, but the jury is still out on their offense since they weren't tested against pathetic Savannah State.

Historically, I think Richmond would give Virginia a good match, but I think Virginia will win this one easily. Some of the Colonial teams just were complete duds last week and this might not be any different. If Johns can be an efficient passer and UVA's defense rocks from the get go, they win this. I included Wagner and FIU just because I have no idea how bad it can get for Florida International. I could see them getting pushed by a Northeast Conference private school that doesn't even really have a good football team. Wagner actually played Florida Atlantic two years ago and lost 7-3, but they were much worse in 2013 than in 2012. If FIU is so bad that they can't score, it will be a close game by default.

Gardner-Webb and Wake probably won't be close, but Wake is playing a true freshman and their offense looked pitiful in a loss to UL Monroe in Louisiana. Maybe a home game and a lesser opponent will make it easy. Gardner-Webb has been pretty terrible on offense since the beginning of the last season though. Towson still has a very talented team and they've been through the fire against FBS schools before. I think they could push West Virginia and, after a tough and physical loss to Alabama, this could blindside the Mountaineers if they don't take them carefully. I wasn't expecting much from West Virginia in the preseason and I was inclined to take Towson, but they look like they might have fixed some things this offseason and the defense played with a lot of intensity against the Crimson Tide. If that team shows up instead of the one that finished 2013, they should handle Towson even though it will be a challenge.

EDIT: Wow, Towson lost to Central Connecticut State. I thought the Tigers were supposed to be good this year? :? Disregard what I said about Towson and West Virginia :lol:
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Smelling a Week 2 Upset?

Postby Spence » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:32 pm

I don't see an upset in the group.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:36 pm

Yeah, I have a gut feeling about Ball State, but that's about it. If I had to put money on it, I'd go Iowa, but for fun I'll take the Cardinals. I just have a feeling we'll see a shocker somewhere next week (possibly Eastern Washington and Washington).

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:16 pm

I am guessing West Virginia will play lights out after hanging with Alabama. If i had to pick one from that group, I would go with Wake Forest being beaten by Gardner-Webb. I don't know much about Gardner-Webb, but Wake has really stunk it up. I go to Wake Forest games frequently because tickets are cheap from a guy I know and it is somewhat close by. If I had to pick one, that is the deal there.

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:21 am

No doubt that West Virginia beating Towson would be a :wink: huge upset.
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

armchairqb
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby armchairqb » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:31 am

The best chance of those is Akron over Penn State. Tennessee will win over Ark St, but that could still be a good game.

One possibility not mentioned is SD State over North Carolina. NC had to fight to come back against Liberty this weekend.
"A complimentary breakfast isn't supposed to make you feel better about yourself." -Captain Obvious

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:56 pm

..fanatic wrote:No doubt that West Virginia beating Towson would be a :wink: huge upset.

That's cold. :lol: :lol:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:34 pm

armchairqb wrote:The best chance of those is Akron over Penn State. Tennessee will win over Ark St, but that could still be a good game.

One possibility not mentioned is SD State over North Carolina. NC had to fight to come back against Liberty this weekend.

I believe that's right. The `Heels may have a tough week ahead of `em.
I know it was just Northern Arizona, but the Aztecs won 38-7 this week.

I certainly wouldn't look past this game, for sure.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:22 pm

Now that I am not playing the pick 'ems...the only one I care about is WVU-Towson. I would bet good money Towson gets taken behind the wood shed, twice around the corral, and thrown into the outhouse!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

highfly
Redshirt
Redshirt

Postby highfly » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:31 pm

I could see Toledo controling the game and tempo but not sure they will have enough in the end. However, the one I like most is MTSU over Minny. I think Towson could stay close to WVU for about 3 quarters. Having played Bama close and looking ahead to Maryland the following week could lead to a lack luster start but they win going away.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:41 pm

WoVeU wrote:Now that I am not playing the pick 'ems...the only one I care about is WVU-Towson. I would bet good money Towson gets taken behind the wood shed, twice around the corral, and thrown into the outhouse!

Yeah I assumed when I posted that that Towson was more or less the team that put a run together to the FCS national championship game. Then I checked out the results from Week 1, and they lost to Central Connecticut State. So it's definitely not the same team. They weren't expected to be quite as good without West and with a new QB, but that was a shocking result. If the Mountaineers don't win by 30, consider it a failure.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:15 pm

There are enough young players that I would like to see the WVU starters get plenty of game time to affect a good trouncing. But they play Towson quite often and I think that diminishes the desire or willful allowance to throw up gaudy numbers.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:14 am

Missouri @ Toledo

Well, a competitive game, but Toledo lost some of that home magic that served them well over the years. Either that or Missouri's offense was firing on all cylinders. Kareem Hunt had a huge game and could be the best RB in the MAC this season.

Arkansas State @ Tennessee

Disappointing as I still remained unimpressed with Tennessee. This is a game Arkansas State could have had, although Tennessee had the athletes.

Akron @ Penn State

Akron still looks like a bowl team out of the weak MAC East to me, but they struggled to move the ball in this one. The defense held up reasonably well. Hackenberg had a tougher time against the Zips than he did against UCF :shock:

Eastern Washington @ Washington

Probably my most fun game of the day. Vernon Adams tossed 7 TDs against a Pac-12 team. The guy is a gamer and he was obviously the best player on the field. 59-52 was the final here, and it would have been amazing if EWU could have played a little bit of defense.

Ball State @ Iowa

I don't want to talk about this one :roll:

Middle Tennessee @ Minnesota

Closer in the box score than it was on the field, Minnesota controlled most of the game without a sweat. Cobb ran all over the Blue Raiders today. Minnesota could emerge as a legit threat to win 8 or 9 games this year.

Richmond @ Virginia

Virginia was a much better team today. They look improved from last season.

Wagner @ Florida International

As I thought earlier, this game wasn't that close, but there was a question as to how low FIU can go before they win a game this year. Turns out Wagner was just what the doctor ordered for an easy win and perhaps a confidence builder.

Gardner-Webb @ Wake Forest

Another game that wouldn't be surprising if it was close but wasn't, Wake controlled the game easily. Judging from the box score, they looked ugly doing it though.

Towson @ West Virginia

West Virginia annihilated Towson as expected. I recanted this one after seeing the score against CCSU :shock:

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:20 pm

I looked high and low for the E.W. and Washington game, that had to be an exciting game.

I don't want to talk about the Ball St. game either. :roll:
R. Reagan

Return to “General Discussion”