Final Four per Mr. Congrove

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Final Four per Mr. Congrove

Postby billybud » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:02 am

People vote with their remotes re what they want to see on TV...Of the ten most watched games this year, five involved FSU and five involved the SEC matches (four Alabama).

Of the Top 10 most watched games in 2014...FSU was in half of them..Tell me that ESPN isn't crazy like a fox...building up the Darth Vader image for viewing.

...FSU-Notre Dame

...FSU-Clemson

...FSU-Miami

...FSU-Georgia Tech

...FSU-Miami

The other 5 Top 10 games watched were SEC match-ups.

You can't get paid the P5 dollars if no one care about watching you.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:20 pm

The difference is...they won't even let you enter the race......(maybe they have seen you drive)
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:20 am

donovan wrote:The difference is...they won't even let you enter the race......(maybe they have seen you drive)

Oh...but they do let me drive up and down Daytona Beach....and you can just about hear the race on a calm day.

And that's as close as Air Force would ever come. They would still be left out in a 16 team playoff.

If we had the Top 16 play...

The SEC would have had 4 teams in...

The ACC...2

The Big Ten...2

Big 12......3

Pac 12.....4

"wah...wah" "Only P5 teams allowed....wah, wah" and more bleeting.

What they want is play without merit.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:39 am

You know I don't disagree. If they persist on this path then they should have the Power 5"...( I do dislike these arrogant elitist titles...but that is a digression) they need to have their own division, play just their division teams, including OOC games come from the P5 Conferences and let the rest of the schools do their own things in a different division. Though there is no money in it, Division III had this figured out long ago. I've seen real entertaining football at that level, as I am sure most of us have.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:06 pm

As I watch ND State vs Coastal Carolina in the FCS semi's...I am wondering why the other FCS schools that didn't make the playoff final 16 aren't whining....

If the FBS playoff expanded to 8 or to even 16, there would be little chance for a non P5 school to make the final cut based on the Committee's criteria (whatever that may be at the time).

The problem is, only the top teams in a football division like FBS will play in a playoff...and the top 20 teams are heavily concentrated in the P5 conferences.

I do not know what the Air Force Coach proposes...I propose that the best teams play based on merit. It isn't basketball.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:09 pm

nm

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:54 pm

I should be only conference champs that go from every conference. Like the old B10 days - Rose Bowl or nothing. If you don't win your conference don't whine about how tough you are just win.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

CFP Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby CFP Admin » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:14 am

billybud wrote:Congrove has his bowl payouts wrong...those are from the BCS era.

Those payouts come with the caveat at the bottom that says they are either reported payouts for this year, or payouts of record from the past year.
That said, I changed this a day or 2 ago by foot-noting it with the explanation I could find, which was this:

Each of the Big 5 conferences (ACC, Big 10, Big 12, PAC-12, SEC) will receive an estimated $50 million, whether or not it qualifies a team for the playoffs. An estimated $6 million bonus will be paid for each team a conference sends to the semifinals, $4 million for participating in one of the "Big 6 Bowls", but no additional dollars for reaching the championship game where each school will received an estimated $2 million for expenses. Each of the "Group of 5" conferences (American, CUSA, MAC, MWC, Sun Belt), will receive an estimated $18 million each, Notre Dame will receive an estimated $3.75 million, and remaining independents will bag roughly $1.85 million each. Big 6 bowls that don't host a semifinal game, will split additional revenue with the participating teams/conferences.

If you have a link to a page that clearly references the payouts for the playoff/big 6 bowls, I would greatly appreciate it. It's not easy finding this stuff as heaven knows we can't have transparency. :roll:

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:04 am

What you are missing is how the "Contract Bowls" work (Rose, Sugar, Orange,)..in addition to the Power 5 payouts.

"The figure does not include revenue the power conferences would receive from contracts with the Rose, Sugar and Orange Bowls. The Big Ten and Pac-12, for example, will split $80 million annually from the Rose Bowl. The SEC and Big 12 will receive the same amount from the Sugar. The ACC will get approximately $27.5 million from its deal with the Orange.

That means, for example, the Big Ten could receive approximately $90 million annually from the playoff rights contract and its share of the Rose Bowl contract.

In addition to the annual revenue split, conferences will receive $6 million per team participating in the semifinals, and $4 million per team participating in the so-called "host" bowls, the person said. Notre Dame will receive the same amount if it reaches the playoffs or plays in a "host" bowl. There's no additional payout for advancing to the championship game."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... s/1762709/

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:55 am

Smoke filled rooms are alive and well. "The person, who provided details to USA TODAY Sports, spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the subject."

I find it hard to believe the NCAA Colleges do not know how this is working. Actually, no, I don't. And neither do we!

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:29 am

donovan wrote:Smoke filled rooms are alive and well. "The person, who provided details to USA TODAY Sports, spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the subject."

I find it hard to believe the NCAA Colleges do not know how this is working. Actually, no, I don't. And neither do we!

They know exactly how it works. Even though the NCAA doesn't directly cash in from the bowls and cfb playoffs, that money comes to them from the 20+ other sports that football supports. That is why they don't care.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:53 pm

The NCAA makes its money in March....their admin money comes primarily from the basketball tournament...

"HOW THE NCAA MAKES AND SPENDS MONEY, 2012-2013
The NCAA made $912.8 million last year, 84 percent of which came from one, three-week event: The Division I men's basketball tournament"

Return to “General Discussion”