RANDOM THOUGHTS PART 2...

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

RANDOM THOUGHTS PART 2...

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:29 pm

Well, I am pretty excited that Michigan had a victory, a shutout victory, nonetheless. Virginia Tech on the other hand was disappointing. I mean, you go to Purdue and win like bandits, then you travel 3 or 4 hours away and can't beat ECU. On the edge of a top 25 ranking, and you crap your pants. ECU that good? Purdue that bad? Va Tech that mixed up? Duke beats Georgia Tech after GT runs for less than 175 yards. Looks like the ACC is going to beat each other up this season. Now, Florida, Indiana, and whoever else is 4-0. Tennessee is up by two scores with 4 minutes left, and they lose. Any chance TCU drops in polls?

Continue with edited version later...

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS PART 2...

Postby Derek » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:05 pm

Auburn is about to drop another one...I'm pretty excited about that.

Florida BARELY escaped..

Mizzou is struggling with Kentucky...

I'm not being a homer, because I was seriously down on them after the first two games, but I'm gonna be bold and say that Ga is the best team in the SEC this year.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:19 pm

I know the preseason polls are just for fluff, but I look at the ones that have dropped so far, so fast. And a lot of these teams haven't faced the "buzzsaws" yet. It looks like Georgia, LSU, Ole Miss, Baylor, Michigan State, Ohio State, etc. are the ones to beat. Season has got to play out...

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:21 pm

Tennessee has found yet another way to choke away a win against Florida. Beyond this one tho, Tennessee has now blown 2 sizeable 2nd half leads in a row. Will the defense be able to close out an opponent this year or will they fold under pressure anytime a team starts to put a drive together.

And wow, if Arizona could learn how to snap and hold on to the ball maybe it would be a decent game, but UCLA is all over them right now. I hope the big showdown from Eugene lives up to the hype.

armchairqb
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby armchairqb » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:38 pm

Good game between Ohio and Minnesota. Ohio was unafraid of the Gophers' home crowd and gave a good 60 minutes on the field. Suspicious call by the officials as they are about to try a 53 yard FG. Frank Solich threw his headset to the the ground; that delay of game call didn't make sense and it appeared Minnesota called timeout before the play clock hit :00.

That was a tough schedule for BYU for the first four games. A two time zone road trip to Ann Arbor the week after UCLA. The Wolverines took full advantage. A shutout win should get Michigan in the Top 25. Hopefully De'veon Smith will be ok, his injury looked scary enough for me to believe that he hight have been done for the season.
"A complimentary breakfast isn't supposed to make you feel better about yourself." -Captain Obvious

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:50 pm

highfly24 wrote:Tennessee has found yet another way to choke away a win against Florida. Beyond this one tho, Tennessee has now blown 2 sizeable 2nd half leads in a row. Will the defense be able to close out an opponent this year or will they fold under pressure anytime a team starts to put a drive together.

And wow, if Arizona could learn how to snap and hold on to the ball maybe it would be a decent game, but UCLA is all over them right now. I hope the big showdown from Eugene lives up to the hype.

I think Tenn. could be in trouble for this year. They made a lot of noise about playing all Freshman and everyone seemed to buy into the hype, but it's just not proving itself out.

Some of my Facetube Tenn fan friends are already calling for his job.

I had them beating Ga in my guess-timation. I just don't see that happening right now.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:52 pm

And how about Arkansas surprising everyone by have A&M down 8 with four minutes left?? 8)

- John Madden

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

Never mind, they blew it. :|

- John Madden

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:28 am

I don't know why I keep picking Tennessee to win these games when I know that Butch Jones is a screwup. I didn't watch the game, but I guess he could have gone for two about midway through the 4th quarter and kicked the extra point instead. How dumb is that? Either way, two Florida touchdowns wins the game. It makes no sense. That late in the game, Florida is not going to kick two field goals and score a touchdown on three different possessions. That's a classic screw up.

So far my theory of Butch Jones and Brett Bielema getting their lunch eaten by the SEC coaches is turning out to be correct.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:40 am

And then Oregon really stinks it up... at home. Looks like Utah might be the real deal.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:54 am

Last year, the Committee kept talking about "game control" when talking FSU's close wins...

I wonder if they will remember that this year...so many teams have had relatively close games with underdogs. For example, TCU at #2 needed that miracle reception in the end zone off of a broken up pass to beat unranked Texas Tech. There was about zero defense in that game.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:41 am

Which is going to make me think and ask: Is TCU that good? Is it game control or lack of defense? It just seems like the playoff has some teams playing in a different manner. The supposedly good teams are playing below on some levels while the not so hot teams are playing with a chip. You combine these two factors, and the results are so mixed up. The preseason polls look like no one knows what's going on. Oregon, BYU, etc. didn't just get beat, it was handily. We always hear that the season has to play out, but this season, it feels like no one knows...

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:28 am

Another issue with Tennessee was...how in the world do you let 2 defenders get taken out by 1 block by a wide receiver. You have to be kidding, they were out of position and took a horrible angle and suddenly the side line is open to the end zone for the winning score. So many things had fail to lose that game, and that did them all.

I was really looking forward to the primetime Pac 12 games. Will Scooby coming back motivate Arizona for the win...NO. Will Az State show any signs of being the preseason top 25 team they were suppose to be...NO. Is Utah a legit contender in the South...YES. All three of these games were just dominated by 1 team. UCLA and Utah certainly looked very strong, on the road against what I thought were good teams. I'm wondering about Oregon this year, QB play is not good enough. They still have USC, @UW and @Stanford. The Big Game just might decide the North this year instead. Cal has the tough crossover road trips tho, @UCLA @Utah.

TCU is still winning but the injuries on defense are piling up and it wasn't really a strength to begin with. Ohio State and Michigan State aren't making big statements against the MAC teams tho.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:02 am

Utah is looking like a really good football team.......UCLA is the second dog in that fight IMO......Fournette looks like the Heisman candidate he thought he was last year........I still think Charlie Strong will turn it around in Texas given the chance........Northwestern looks like the team to beat in the B1G west to me...........Christy Brinkley is still very, very hot.........Cardale Jones is starting to look better; still makes some major league bonehead mistakes.........Notre Dame's days as an undefeated are numbered.........Florida State will win the ACC..........Michigan looks lots better than previously thought..........that wasn't easy to say.............I like Georgia VS LSU for the SEC......I'm thinking Georgia right now.............B1G East is wide open as of now..........Utah will win the PAC............Auburn is really bad................Arkansas will not win with the current coach..........TCU isn't a contender for a playoff spot..............So far this year no team looks like it is dominate so this season should be very interesting down to the wire................
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:23 am

Spence wrote:So far this year no team looks like it is dominate so this season should be very interesting down to the wire................

Agree 100% with this. No one is really standing out as THE team(s). Lots of really good teams, on some days, but then they look very beatable the next week. Then there's Auburn who is beatable every week haha.

Return to “General Discussion”