Spurrier Walks - O'Leary Quits as AD - Sark is Canned

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Spurrier Walks - O'Leary Quits as AD - Sark is Canned

Postby donovan » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:16 pm

Bronco Mendenhall is going to Virginia. Why am I reminded about Esau?
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:33 pm

Tom Herman is staying at Houston. IS he holding out for the Texas job?
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:58 pm

That! .... hmm

You may be on to something there, Spence.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:05 pm

Or maybe he is holding out for the Ohio State job if Meyer jumps to the Cleveland Browns next year. You never know. There was a specific reason he pulled back this year.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

armchairqb
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby armchairqb » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:35 pm

Head coaching job availability Power Poll (of availabilities that exist as of 12/5/15):

1. Georgia: Mark Richt fired 11/29/15. Alabama DC Kirby Smart named HC 12/6/15.
2. South Carolina Will Muschamp named HC, 12/7/15.
3. BYU: Bronco Mendenhall resigns to take Virginia HC job, 12/5/15
4. Rutgers: Ohio State co-DC Chris Ash announced as HC at press conference, 12/7/15.
5. East Carolina: HC Ruffin McNeill fired 12/4/15. Duke OC/QB cch Scottie Montgomery announced as HC, via press conference, 12/14/15.
6. Syracuse: Bowling Green HC Dino Babers, via press release, states he is hired as Syracuse's new head coach, 12/5/15.
7. Virginia: Mike London resigns 11/29/15. BYU HC Bronco Mendenhall hired, 12/5/15.
8. Bowling Green: Dino Babers resigns to take over at Syracuse, 12/5/15. Texas Tech RB/assoc HC Mike Jinks named HC, 12/8/15.
9. Tulane: Curtis Johnson fired 11/28/15. Willie Fritz, Georgia Southern HC, to be introduced as HC, via press conference 12/15/15.
10. Georgia Southern: HC Willie Fritz to leave to be Tulane HC.
11. Louisiana-Monroe: FCS McNeese State HC Todd Viator to be announced as HC, via press conference, 12/15/15.
12. North Texas: UNC OC Seth Littrell named HC, 12/5/15.
Last edited by armchairqb on Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:58 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"A complimentary breakfast isn't supposed to make you feel better about yourself." -Captain Obvious

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:14 pm

I'd also like to give a sincere thanx to Armchairqb ...

Nice job of keeping this thread fresh & updated.
You've caught some on here that I have missed.

Most recent is the Dino Babers to Syracuse --- the commentators last night during the MAC Championship game were talking about Dino's name as having growing interest by the job openings; and noted how Dino said, "I want to focus on, and play the MAC Championship first. So for all those schools who are interested in me, please wait until after the MAC Championship before you come talk to me. I am trying to get my team into the Bowl game first."

Looks as though Syracuse did just that; and was first man to bat. Because that was yesterday, and today he resigns to be the next head coach for the Orange.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

armchairqb
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby armchairqb » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:24 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:I'd also like to give a sincere thanx to Armchairqb ...

Nice job of keeping this thread fresh & updated.
You've caught some on here that I have missed.

Most recent is the Dino Babers to Syracuse --- the commentators last night during the MAC Championship game were talking about Dino's name as having growing interest by the job openings; and noted how Dino said, "I want to focus on, and play the MAC Championship first. So for all those schools who are interested in me, please wait until after the MAC Championship before you come talk to me. I am trying to get my team into the Bowl game first."

Looks as though Syracuse did just that; and was first man to bat. Because that was yesterday, and today he resigns to be the next head coach for the Orange.

Many thanks, Cane. It's interesting that that many FBS head coaching jobs are available in one year. I did think that Babers would've landed at a better spot than Syracuse. Sure, Syracuse is a bigger salary by far than BG, they actually have a bit of an underestimated home field advantage, but how in the world do you sell Syracuse? Maybe, you can sell a New York kid that he can stay home and play for the state of New York's only school in a Power Five conference. Or you go after the ones that the top half of the ACC pass on and coach them up. That scenario could have some better legs under Babers than under their last two hires.

I can't imagine anyone else getting canned, but there are still another couple of openings to fill which could mean that once they're filled...another couple of openings would need to be filled.
"A complimentary breakfast isn't supposed to make you feel better about yourself." -Captain Obvious

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:35 pm

I don't understand how Sonny Cumbie, Lincoln Riley, Kendall Briles, and Doug Meachem are still not head coaches. Either they don't have any interest or they are holding out for something they deem better. I really sincerely hope that ADs are not passing them over or rejecting them, because they're insane if they do. All you need as a non-BCSer is a potent offense and you can compete for bowl berths year in and year out. A "schematic advantage" is usually the difference between winning a conference title and not doing so in the Sun Belt, MAC, C-USA, etc.

And if I were Missouri, South Carolina, or Virginia, how do you pass up on Dino Babers? The guy has got "it". He will have Syracuse bowling next year and they will be competing for ACC titles in 3 years or fewer, no question.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:39 pm

One thing I noticed with Bowling Green is that they haven't done great the last two years in November offensively. Ohio and Michigan and some states in the rust belt in late October and November get blustery and cold. The passing games start to go into a shell in this type of weather. Syracuse is in the Northeast, but he has the huge advantage of playing in a dome. This offense will fly on turf when he recruits his guys. This might be the primary reason why he took the job.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:46 pm

I think there is such a difference between big programs and the rest in the terms of administration, money and responsibilities, being a good coach is only a small part of what premier schools look for.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:25 pm

armchairqb wrote:I did think that Babers would've landed at a better spot than Syracuse. Sure, Syracuse is a bigger salary by far than BG, they actually have a bit of an underestimated home field advantage, but how in the world do you sell Syracuse? Maybe, you can sell a New York kid that he can stay home and play for the state of New York's only school in a Power Five conference. Or you go after the ones that the top half of the ACC pass on and coach them up.

Yes, that, and I think you also have to sell these kids on Syracuse's past.

They use to be a 10 win program --- you need to convince these recruits that Syracuse is not just a Basketball school, and that the University is recommitting to build the Football program back to its heyday.

You need to get these kids excited about "them" being the ones to resurrect that team to its former glory. Show these recruits the tapes of Syracuse at their height, and tell these kids, "That could be you, if you're willing compete for it", then tell them "But you have to want it, to play to win like that. Do you have it in you, son?"

Cane... [__]

armchairqb
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby armchairqb » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:00 pm

Will Muschamp to South Carolina:

1. Is he the best guy available? Probably. Fiery enough as a DC. Did okay at Florida, not great. Maybe a bowl game every year, but beyond 8 wins a year, I doubt it. Fortunately for Muschamp, the fanbase isn't expecting 10 win seasons out of him.

2. Why not Rich Rodriguez? maybe the best coaching move RichRod ever made was to not take the South Carolina job. He has a good situation at Arizona. The fanbase would've expected 10 win seasons out of him.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:12 pm

Smart (Georgia) - I predict he will do okay, might win the SEC once. I don't think he is a budding superstar coach, but he'll win games.

Rolovich (Hawaii) - Probably will bring Hawaii to respectability once again. I don't envision the kind of success they had in the WAC, but he will make them relevant and in contention for bowl berths again. Good ties to the community and wants to restore the glory and excitement around the program.

Cubit (Illinois) - Probably already on the hot seat, has a short leash of one or two years. A decent coach who might go 6-6 once. Not the kind of move that will make Illinois relevant.

Campbell (Iowa State) - At Iowa State, I feel like he could have done better. Might get Iowa State to around 6 or 7 wins per year, but runs the risk of getting his lunch eaten by better coaches in the conference. If he fails here, he can go back to the MAC, but that will be the end of his major coaching career, fair or not.

Durkin (Maryland) - I think he might use Maryland as a stepping stone job. Could get them to around 8-4 after a year or so, but the Big 10 East is brutal. He doesn't strike me as being a future world-class head coach, but he seems like a competent guy who can get the job done and win his fair share of games.

Norvell (Memphis) - A good offensive coach, figures to do well with an already well-stocked roster and move on in about two seasons.

Richt (Miami) - Probably going to resurrect the U. I don't know if we're talking national title good or just ACC title good, but either way, it's a massive upgrade..

Clayes (Minnesota) - I don't really like this hire. It feels like the right thing to do since he's Kill's second-hand man and I know the players love him, but there is currently a power vacuum in the Big 10 West that some of these teams can exploit and they're just not going for it.

Odom (Missouri) - A huge question mark. I don't think he has the chops to make it in the SEC.

Littrell (North Texas) - Another question mark, but he seems to be one of the guys behind Larry Fedora's offense (although Fedora is probably the primary brainchild there). UNT will definitely be better than they have been, but how much better remains to be seen.

Muschamp (South Carolina) - I predict this hire will fail in the long run. He already had his shot at Florida and struggled besides one year where they basically got by on luck and defensive talent alone (and then proceeded to get shown up by Teddy Bridgewater & Co.). Now he's moving to a program with fewer resources and lesser prestige and he's supposed to make them into SEC contenders? People are going to forget how good Spurrier was for this program. I predict it will be the offense again that dooms his stint here.

Babers (Syracuse) - I don't know if this is quite a match made in heaven, but I believe Babers will get what he wants out of Syracuse and then move on to a bigger job. Syracuse might turn into the marquee program of the Northeast, something that area hasn't had since Matt Ryan really. Playing indoors plays to his offenses' strengths. In a division with Florida State and Clemson it'll be hard, but I could see 8 wins off the bat. He's not long for the 'Cuse though before he goes to the Big 12 or Pac-12.

Candle (Toledo) - Toledo decided to pass the torch and it will probably work out. He's a popular coach and he'll keep some of the staff intact. The Toledo machine will continue to do their thing.

Frost (UCF) - UCF already has some offensive skill players despite how horrendous they were this past year. A little coaching and a little growing up along the way and they will be fine. Frost will be out of here in two years. UCF will probably have a losing record in 2016, but after a rebound the following year, he'll be off to bigger things.

Helton (USC) - I think this a questionable move. If you're USC, you can, to a large degree, pick the guy you want. Of all the viable candidates, the best person for the job happened to already be on the staff? Probably not. I don't think he can elevate USC to where they want to be.

Mendenhall (Virginia) - A weird juxtaposition here in styles, but Mendenhall will probably make Virginia bowl-material in short order. I don't think he can wake up this sleeping giant though.

Fuente (Virginia Tech) - He's been labeled as a rising star, but I don't really view him as the second coming. He will do some good things at VT, but I don't envision him really putting this program in national title contention.

Well, those are my takes. Unfortunately for a lot of these programs in a year with so much turmoil, I don't really view a lot of can't-miss coaching prospects. This seems like a shallow class of candidates to me. Still need to see what UL Monroe, ECU, Bowling Green, and BYU comes up with, but if they get creative, their finds might end up being the best hires of the year. I'd say my favorite five hires of this season in order are Richt at Miami, Babers at Syracuse, Rolovich at Hawaii, Frost at UCF, and Smart at Georgia.

armchairqb
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby armchairqb » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:11 pm

Bowling Green swoops up their next head coach...like a falcon.

Mike Jinks (RB coach/assoc HC) from Texas Tech announced as BG's next HC.

http://www.coachingsearch.com/article?a=Mike-Jinks-named-head-coach-at-Bowling-Green

armchairqb
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby armchairqb » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:37 pm

Willie Fritz, HC at Georgia Southern, to become Tulane HC, per reports by nola.com and si.com...

Good hire, that team could be reasonably competitive in the AAC in 2016.

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2015/12/tulane_names_georgia_southerns.html

Return to “General Discussion”