Irrational thoughts on week Ten (10)

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Irrational thoughts on week Ten (10)

Postby donovan » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:47 am

Irrational thoughts on week 10
1. Nebraska finally got something to go their way, even though the consensus is it was a wrong call.
2. Clemson win was not as big as Florida State’s loss. (I do not like being wrong.)
3. Baylor just needs to keep playing team with no offense because it matches their defense.
4. Washington State is going bowling and Mike Leach gets the credit
5. I like watching North Carolina over Duke. Not sure why, don’t like any East Coast teams, but there weren’t any Princess Summerfall Winterspring reruns on.
6. I have never rooted for Alabama but yesterday. It worked.
7. Notre Dame is a force to not be ignored. This Will Fuller has great hands.
8. TCU fell from grace and the thud makes them irrelevant, as it should. Oklahoma State will do the same to Baylor and Oklahoma will take care of Oklahoma State. With justice towards all.
9. Winner of the week was Boise State with a bye and Utah State losing to the Lobos.
10. Oregon finally put together a complete game against a team in Skyfall, which was much better than Spectre, I digress. Fans today think they are in contention. I pointed out maybe contentious and they thought that was a compliment. I need new friends.
11. Oregon State…are there stubhub refunds? Paul Anderson may not be there next year.
12. Petersen at Washington needs to hope he has the guns next year he has recruited. People like him, but he needs a bowl. Utah is a good ball club.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Irrational thoughts on week Ten (10)

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:47 pm

I agree about Florida State. I thought, even depleted, that playing with their back against the wall would be enough to beat Clemson - and I think Clemson is good. Florida State has the athletes to win. I think maybe the injury's made the hill to high to climb.

I never thought TCU was good enough to make it into the post season. Defense counts which is why Baylor won't make it - even if they get there.

Nebraska didn't deserve the break they got yesterday. The official got caught not looking then decided the Nebraska receiver must of got pushed as far out as he was and let it go.

Replay needs to be shelved.

As much as I hate it, Notre Dame is good. They deserve to be at minimum top 5. I still think they should join a conference.

I knew LSU was a one trick pony, but they have a very good pony. Alabama's defensive front seven are very good. They play straight up, fundamentally sound, boring gap defense and do it as well as anyone. Fournette is a good back, but he is not the complete back people were talking about. Complete backs can make the hard runs as well as perform well in the second level. Miles didn't have what it takes to compete with Sabin- again.

Iowa is better than people think. You heard it here first since no one else will say it.

Harbaugh has Michigan playing well and I think he is a jerk and I don't like him. Which is as it should be.

I don't understand how Stanford lost. They may not lose again.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

armchairqb
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby armchairqb » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:29 pm

With a whimper, Florida wins an SEC East title. They barely held off a Vanderbilt squad who was shut out by Houston last week. The Commodores were 3 out of 14 passing the ball and almost won at Gainesville. It was also 85 and sunny, so rain wasn't a factor. Or maybe Jim McIlwain has a far better plan than I to save his team's legs for the road trip to South Carolina.

The best coordinator hire of the last five years: Defensive Coordinator Brent Venables by Clemson. They are finally in that elite tier, in part because of that very hire.

Jabrill Peppers is an effective decoy when used on offense by Michigan. Peppers may very well be their next Charles Woodson.

Oklahoma State; unconventional, but not a novelty. Two early 1000+ mile road tests toughened them up. The way they use Rudolph and Walsh at QB, I actually like and normally I'm against a two QB approach.
"A complimentary breakfast isn't supposed to make you feel better about yourself." -Captain Obvious

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:39 pm

I am figuring Florida against Vandy. Gators at home. Gators maybe thought they could just throw their uniforms on the field, and that would do the job.
Some way, somehow, some team or two, or three is going to get left out of the college football playoff picture.
If, and these are big ifs:
Clemson ends season undefeated
Ohio State ends season undefeated
Alabama ends season with just the one loss
Notre Dame ends season with just the one loss
Stanford ends the season with just the one loss
Oklahoma State ends the season undefeated
That is six deals and only four spots

Or if, and these are bigger ifs:
North Carolina ends the season with just the one loss and beats Clemson in ACC Champs Game
Florida loses one more game and beats Alabama (if Bama makes it) in the SEC Champs Game
Or whatever craziness happens in the Big 12
I wonder how close the top rated PAC 12 team is to the top 4 this week

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:31 pm

It appears we have had the same thought. :lol:

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:17 am

Florida is not the same team since losing Will Grier as their QB.....
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:35 pm

collegefbfan-8898 wrote:Clemson ends season undefeated
Ohio State ends season undefeated
Alabama ends season with just the one loss
Notre Dame ends season with just the one loss
Stanford ends the season with just the one loss

Oklahoma State ends the season undefeated

At least we know for sure, one of these is not possible.
Notre Dame plays @ Stanford on November 28th.

I'm getting the impression that the Pac-12 will be out in the cold in this playoff.

North Carolina could be the busted cog in the ACC. If they finish out undefeated, with a win over Clemson in the Conference Championship, that might be what tilts them in. Because, assuming Clemson is yet undefeated themselves, going into the ACC title game, North Carolina will have the chance to bump the #1 team in the playoff poll. It will all depend on how negatively the playoff committee gives the Tar Heels ranking, for losing to South Carolina in the first game of the year. 17-13 isn't a big loss. And seeing as it was the first game of the season, it was long enough ago to say North Carolina has improved as a team. But, the playoff committee could also use it as a sticking point, to justify leaving the Heels out of the mix, based on how poorly the Gamecocks have played this season.

I do wonder, however, if Clemson were to lose one game, how would that influence the committee's vote for Notre Dame, since their one loss was to Clemson. I figure, the main reason the Irish are ranked at #5, is do to how close the game was that they played @ Clemson. So, would the Tigers losing impact ND's ranking at all [other than it being one more team losing in front of them, opening a playoff spot].

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:25 pm

They kind of dissed North Carolina last week by leaving them out altogether, and they're behind Houston and Temple if I recall. I can't see them getting enough respect. You'll have the Notre Dame / Stanford winner and then probably the SEC champ and the Big 10 champ. I think the Big 12 champ would be ahead of UNC, fair or not.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:21 pm

I think only Ohio State and Iowa have a shot in the b10. Maybe Michigan State with an outside shot. If Michigan State or Michigam win the b10 I see them going with the Big12 winner. Maybe even if Iowa goes undefeated. It is going to be very hard for them to leave the B12 out two years in a row.

Return to “General Discussion”