Suprise of the First Half

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Suprise of the First Half

Postby Eric » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:13 pm

What is yours?

If I had to pick, I'd probably say San Jose State has been the best pleasant suprise. They're 3-1 at this point with a pretty good win (for them) against Stanford. I think they can keep it up, if we look at the schedule......

10-14-06 UTAH STATE
10-21-06 at Nevada
10-28-06 LOUISIANA TECH
11-4-06 at New Mexico State

11-11-06 BOISE STATE
11-18-06 at Hawai'i
11-25-06 at Idaho
12-2-06 FRESNO STATE

I think SJSU goes 7-4 this season. And who knows? Games with Boise State and Fresno State at home could be possible wins for Dick Tomey's team.

For the biggest disappointing suprise, I think it either goes to Stanford or Texas Tech. Stanford was being thrown around as a possible bowl team and what happened? They are amazingly bad. Texas Tech was a team that I thought could contend for a BCS bowl, but they look like a pretty mediocre team. Arizona State is another team that should be scrutinized for poor play. They get a chance to redeem themselves against SC this week, but from what we've seen over the last 2 or 3 weeks, all I have to say is yikes.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

colorado_loves_football

Re: Suprise of the First Half

Postby colorado_loves_football » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:58 pm

Eric wrote:What is yours?

I think SJSU goes 7-4 this season. And who knows? Games with Boise State and Fresno State at home could be possible wins for Dick Tomey's team.

That's a pretty good one, Eric!
I guess I'm still a little partial to MWC schools, and UNLV has surprised me, in terms of how they've played, so far. Another team I'm 'pleasantly' surprised with is Colorado St, who lost RB Kyle Bell to injury, pre-season, and have had to deal with other issues, off the field.
Sonny Lubick should be nominated for 'coach of the year'. How his team has played, under adversity, is amazing! Beating CU, early-on gave them some momentum, and they've never really looked back (other than a loss at Nevada).
Dick Tomey was hired to 'resurrect' a dying program, and so far, he's delivered!
Utah St, would appear to be improved over last year, evidenced in part to last week's 13-12 win against FSU. Louisiana Tech isn't as good as they were a year ago, unfortunately for them. New Mexico St. with Chase Holbrook at QB, is significantly better, offensively, than last year's team. Hawaii's test will come late in the season, back-to-back home games against Purdue and Michigan St. Idaho, I believe has made strides, with Dennis Erickson, at the controls. Overall, the WAC is significantly 'better' top-to-bottom, than they were a year ago.
I think SJSU could easily 'split' their conference games, leaving them 7-5.

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:06 pm

Yeah, 7-5 is a real possibility. I meant to put 7-5 too.

Fresno State was another team that should be labeled a colossal disappointment. They lost to Utah State because they are bad. LSU is getting geared up to put the hurt on them next week.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:18 pm

So far I would say Michigan. Not because they are good, but because they have been so good. The Michigan defense is playing with a fire that I haven't seen in a while. :cry:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:52 pm

My biggest surprise so far, although I wouldn't call it pleasant at all for me, has had to be Kent State. I'm not just saying that because I am a MAC guy either. This team has been a doormat for years and had one win last season. All of the sudden they are undefeated in the league and the frontrunners to make the MAC Championship game. I'm still waiting for them to get the rug pulled out from under them!

the biggest dissapointment might be Colorado. Everyone kept saying all offseason how weak their division was going to be and that they may find a way to contend but that certainly hasn't panned out.

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:40 pm

I am questioning whether Kent State can win the MAC East this year with Ohio in their division. Ohio has defeated Northern Illinois and Western Michigan and can boost their confidence with a victory over Illinois this week. Kent State on the other hand has lost to Army and kind of squeaked by Temple. Not to mention losing 44-0 against Minnesota. If Kent State somehow makes their way into the postseason, put 28 confidence points on the opponent :wink:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:54 pm

Kent went from doormat in the MAC to competitive. I don't think anyone can expect the jump to champion at this point. Still things are looking up for them.

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:48 pm

Eric wrote:I am questioning whether Kent State can win the MAC East this year with Ohio in their division. Ohio has defeated Northern Illinois and Western Michigan and can boost their confidence with a victory over Illinois this week. Kent State on the other hand has lost to Army and kind of squeaked by Temple. Not to mention losing 44-0 against Minnesota. If Kent State somehow makes their way into the postseason, put 28 confidence points on the opponent :wink:

Good point, Ohio is another team I would call an absolutely huge surprise. I felt the same way you did about Kent State just a few weeks ago but then one certain game came along that changed my mind about them somewhat. :( KSU handed my Zips their worst and most dominant defeat of the season by far and that includes the game at Penn State. I felt my guys didn't seize opportunities against PSU and just threw the Cincinnati game away when they should have thrown a knockout punch early. CMU and Akron was a struggle for both teams at various points of the game. Only KSU has kept Akron solidly down for a whole game and also been able to move the ball seemingly at will against them.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:54 pm

In watching ESPN last night, I couldn't help but be impressed with the New Mexico St. Aggies. Hal Mumme has done amazing things there, IMO.
Chase Holbrook, had over 400 yards, passing, against Boise St. A near 80% completion percentage! I think it's hard to ignore those kinds of numbers, regardless of where (or when) they happen. That it came against a 'ranked' opponent, I believe suggests the WAC is a lot better than many are acknowledging.
I'ts one reason, I believe Boise St, deserves some BCS consideration. Those are some very good offenses they are facing: Wyoming, Utah, Oregon St., Hawaii, with several more remaining: San Jose St, Nevada, Fresno St. And, Boise St, is winning fairly easily, generally-speaking (two close games so far, to Wyoming, away, and to Hawaii).
In 'fairness' I think we need to see how things 'finish' out. Oregon St beat Washington last night. Those are things I think need to be 'weighed', and if S.O.S. in indeed a part of the BCS, (as it should be), then Boise St, has nothing to be ashamed of. Wins count the same, IMO.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:50 pm

Weiss is still very surprised about the college game. In the NFL the talent is close and easier to assess. The college game is more about how to exploit the other teams weaknesses and being able to pick out the weak spots player by player. A team said to have a great defensive front may have one guy that can be attacked. You just have to be able to reconize it on game film where that guy may not look so bad against weaker teams.

He will learn it, but his arrogance gets in the way sometimes. That could hurt him in recruiting down the road also. You not paying these guys, so a lot of other factors play in to it.

Return to “General Discussion”