The Media and what they see

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Media and what they see

Postby Spence » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:29 am

It is the reason the eye test is faulty.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:40 am

After watching the second half highlights this morning Oregon just beat them up front where the Utes were really good, and to the point where they were bringing safeties down to help and POW the Ducks pop a runner and there’s no one back there to make a play.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:51 am

Mountainman wrote:After watching the second half highlights this morning Oregon just beat them up front where the Utes were really good, and to the point where they were bringing safeties down to help and POW the Ducks pop a runner and there’s no one back there to make a play.

Oregon was faster and stronger. Utah didn’t have the horses in that game, especially up front like you said.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:51 am

Mountainman wrote:After watching the second half highlights this morning Oregon just beat them up front where the Utes were really good, and to the point where they were bringing safeties down to help and POW the Ducks pop a runner and there’s no one back there to make a play.

Oregon was faster and stronger. Utah didn’t have the horses in that game, especially up front like you said.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:57 am

Spence wrote:

That surprised me, what little I saw of them this season they just overwhelmed opponents at the LOS...... especially on the defensive side. 8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:51 am

I hear ESPN saying that LSU beat 5 teams ranked in the top 10 - “when they played” So they are giving LSU credit for beating a “Top 10 Texas” ? This is just sports and they are spewing spin like that. Just imagine if it were something important.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:06 am

What you hear is a talking head making a color comment...piece of trivia...

And of course, it is a true fact.

No great conspiracy tp pump up LSU, I don't think.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:36 am

Spence wrote:I hear ESPN saying that LSU beat 5 teams ranked in the top 10 - “when they played” So they are giving LSU credit for beating a “Top 10 Texas” ? This is just sports and they are spewing spin like that. Just imagine if it were something important.

Hmmm, does that mean LSU at #1 should be playing Clemson at #4????? Is that what the ‘media’ is thinking???? Using their logic and reasoning, it must be.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:00 am

The media can say what they want, but here is what I see among all four teams in the playoff. None of the four -assuming LSU,OSU, Clemson, and OU get in - have beaten anyone out of conference with a pulse. No good OOC wins. Even though ESPN would like you to believe Texas was ever good enough to be ranked 10. The only good thing is that at least 4 different conferences are represented in this years version, if that is in fact how it ends up. That is why 2 teams from the same conference should never be in. It is also why a subjective committee, no matter what good intentions they may have. do not have enough information to judge the strength of teams or conferences. It is all just based on believe that certain programs are better than other certain programs from a historical perspective. They can say they don't look at anything but the year they are judging, but look at who they put in since inception. I don't see any non historical power that has made it. Unless you say Oregon isn't a historical program. I'm not saying the teams are correct or not correct. Just that we don't know and that is no way to run a league as big as CFB.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:11 pm

Don't blame ESPN....for Texas being ranked early...

Blame AP voters who had Texas #10 ...

Blame all of those experienced coaches who voted Texas #10 in the Coaches' Poll.

All in all, it is the Mid December rankings that count.

But..Sagarin has LSU with 6 games against the Top 30, Ohio State with 4, Clemson with 2, Oklahoma with 6.

I think Clemson gets the benefit of the doubt....being the reigning national champ, having the lomgest win streak in the country, having made it to the championship match in three of the last four CFP's...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:51 pm

Why I put on ESPN was using a stat that they new was wrong and obsolete to make their point. I don’t have a problem with the order, the problem I have is has has always been with contracting a committee to pick the 4 best teams when it is impossible to do it with the information available. Then the committee is put in the position of adjusting their poll to fit their reasoning to justify the order given. The order could be exactly right. It could be the right teams only out of order. It could have one or four wrong teams selected. I don’t know. Neither does anyone else based on who those teams played. One thing I do know. They pick brands and programs even though they aren’t supposed to use past history. This will be Oklahoma’s 4th entry into the college football playoff and they have yet to win a game. Let’s see if they can win one this time. My guess is no.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:54 pm

As I recall, the Bowl Alliance, BCS and The CFP were progressing attempts that replaced numerous other attempts such as newspapers, sports publications, sportswriters, Associated Press, United Press International, and many computer models, etc., to address and eliminate the notion of a “Mythical National Champion”.
During each era, where these many different attempts were made, there was a common effort to establish creditably with the public. I could not help but notice just how much time the ESPN guys, along with the CFP Chairman, spent during today’s show announcing the teams and seedings spent doing just that.

All have failed. :oops:

I wonder what ‘they’ will come up with next????? :?

In any event, my dog didn’t make the fights this time around so I don’t have a dog in the fight...... I’ll watch the CFP, but other than that, it’s Basketball Season for me and I hear the Mountaineers are pretty good this season. Time get out that funny looking ball. :wink:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:22 pm

Mountainman wrote:As I recall, the Bowl Alliance, BCS and The CFP were progressing attempts that replaced numerous other attempts such as newspapers, sports publications, sportswriters, Associated Press, United Press International, and many computer models, etc., to address and eliminate the notion of a “Mythical National Champion”.
During each era, where these many different attempts were made, there was a common effort to establish creditably with the public. I could not help but notice just how much time the ESPN guys, along with the CFP Chairman, spent during today’s show announcing the teams and seedings spent doing just that.

In any event, my dog didn’t make the fights this time around so I don’t have a dog in the fight...... I’ll watch the CFP, but other than that, it’s Basketball Season for me and I hear the Mountaineers are pretty good this season. Time get out that funny looking ball. :wink:

They are doing the 3 card Monty every time people point out how subjective or the ridiculousness of any particular system. All of it to make sure that the major schools keep their cash cow in tact. Even now, all last night the media were all saying LSU did enough to unseat Ohio State at #1. Today, all of ESPN and radio (after word on rankings had leaked out) were saying that they believe Ohio State should be #1. All the media care about is whoring out an opinion to keep people watching or listening and the schools don't care who wins as long as one of the big brands wins so the ratings are there. Ohio State is in Glenville where they have proven they can fill that venue and LSU will be sure to fill the venue in Atlanta (especially because they couldn't get SEC championship tickets) Then you get LSU in New Orleans vs any one of 3 teams that draws pretty well on tv regardless. And just because I am ranting on the media doing what they do, the blame for this isn't on them. It is on the schools who let it happen. They play the CFB fans the same way the Democrats and Republicans play the American people. You wonder who learned it from who.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: The Media and what they se

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:18 pm

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:As I recall, the Bowl Alliance, BCS and The CFP were progressing attempts that replaced numerous other attempts such as newspapers, sports publications, sportswriters, Associated Press, United Press International, and many computer models, etc., to address and eliminate the notion of a “Mythical National Champion”.

They are doing the 3 card Monty every time people point out how subjective or the ridiculousness of any particular system. All of it to make sure that the major schools keep their cash cow in tact. Even now, all last night the media were all saying LSU did enough to unseat Ohio State at #1. Today, all of ESPN and radio (after word on rankings had leaked out) were saying that they believe Ohio State should be #1. All the media care about is whoring out an opinion to keep people watching or listening and the schools don't care who wins as long as one of the big brands wins so the ratings are there. Ohio State is in Glenville where they have proven they can fill that venue and LSU will be sure to fill the venue in Atlanta (especially because they couldn't get SEC championship tickets) Then you get LSU in New Orleans vs any one of 3 teams that draws pretty well on tv regardless. And just because I am ranting on the media doing what they do, the blame for this isn't on them. It is on the schools who let it happen. They play the CFB fans the same way the Democrats and Republicans play the American people. You wonder who learned it from who.

The media is indeed a big part of the problem, they’ve becomes salesmen as opposed to an information source. I wonder how many folks know that with all this talk about LSU’s offense and that’s what pushed the Tigers to the #1 seed replacing the Buckeyes, that Ohio State scored more points and averaged more points per game than LSU. :wink:

In any event, if Ohio State wins the National Title by beating both Clemson and LSU, and considering they previously beat Penn State, Michigan and Wisconsin in consecutive games, that would have to go down, IMHO, as the “Best” championship run in the history of college football.

Gooooooooo Bucks!!!!!

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:50 pm

Yeah, it would be. I think Clemson is probably the best overall team so beating them will be a tall order. One thing for sure, whoever wins that game is going to soften the other up for LSU.

Return to “General Discussion”