My 2 cents

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

My 2 cents

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:41 pm

If you took Alabama's players and uniforms off and made them Mississippi State, they wouldn't be ranked 2nd. If you did the same with Wake Forest and Clemson They would be ranked 2nd. Cincinnati has a better overall win than Ohio State and Alabama who also have a loss. Oregon has a better win, but they have a loss as well. The way I see things certain teams get special advantages because of their brand. Don't get me wrong, those teams earned their brand, but never the less, that is suppose to have no impact on this years team.
Alabama is absolutley sacred in the eyes of the committee. They get a pass on their loss like it didn't happen. Ohio State and Oklahoma aren't in Alabama's league when it comes to being protected, but they are very close. The committee has said, by ranking Cincinnati 6th, that this is their ceiling. They basically can't move up without losses from the teams in front of them. By their actions the committee has said that a group of five can't be in the playoffs unless pure pandemonium unfolds. This committee, worse that any other way of picking teams we have had,
has proven they can't or won't rank teams based on any of criteria than brand recognition. Nothing else matters.

In my opinion the only team ranked fairly was Georgia and their defense is so good and they are so much better than everyone else, that you can't put them anywhere but #1.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Re: My 2 cents

Postby Derek » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:32 pm

I agree with this completely. NO WAY Bama should be in the Top 4. They have a loss to an unranked team (at the time), and they have looked lackluster on top of that. Bama is clearly getting the benefit of the doubt.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:20 am

Derek wrote:I agree with this completely. NO WAY Bama should be in the Top 4. They have a loss to an unranked team (at the time), and they have looked lackluster on top of that. Bama is clearly getting the benefit of the doubt.

I would only suggest, that A&M was never not ranked in this year's Committee Rankings.

All previous rankings are not legitimate polls towards the playoff system.

Spence wrote: Cincinnati has a better overall win than Ohio State and Alabama who also have a loss. Oregon has a better win, but they have a loss as well. The way I see things certain teams get special advantages because of their brand.

I more or less said the same thing when discussing this earlier.

The only thing that is keeping Cincinnati in it, is also a brand recognition, of sorts.

The media, right now, is having a Love affair with the name, Luke Fickell. So the more they can push him, the more right they seem when he gets hired at a Larger Brand.

And let's not forget, Cincinnati was put up at #2 by the media, because of their close bowl loss to Georgia.

Yes, Cincinnati is undefeated. And ND is ranked #10

But, even that is brand recognition. Cincinnati is the best team Notre Dame has played. As the Irish, seemingly, are improving ... but, are they?

Whom have the Irish's opponents beaten to prove that ND isn't just winning like they are, because of how good their competition is not?

On the other hand; Cincy hasn't lost. And the only thing they can do, is win the games they play.

If that is not enough, then make sense out of this next thought.

Michigan ... oof!

Why are they ranked above Oklahoma and Wake Forest?

Michigan hasn't really beaten anyone worth noting. While Oklahoma is undefeated.

Was Michigan's loss to MSU, better than every win on the Sooners' or Deacon's schedule?

It's almost as if the Selection Committee set the ranking in order to bail themselves out, when they chose an "acceptable" bracket in the end.

^
|
|

v

Hey Derek; here's something that may make you smile ... you'll especially appreciate the first 50 seconds 8)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRneZ9p5h4Y

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:06 am

Cincinnati went toe to toe with Georgia to finish the season last year with a walk off field goal giving Georgia the win. They beat Notre Dame who is a committee blue blood and ranked 10. Why not quit acting like this is a championship for the FBS and just admit it is a championship for the power 5. No one else need apply. Quit acting like anyone else has a chance when they do not. Actually they could say that anyone not named Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Oklahoma, LSU, Notre Dame, USC, UCLA, Michigan, Penn State, or Texas, Florida, Clemson, or Florida State really doesn't have a chance unless all of these teams fail.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: My 2 cent

Postby Mountainman » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:50 pm

Oh what tangled webs are woven when there’s an agenda driven by the chosen, who set the gold before the greedy, who sold the game and now seek pity. 8)

Let’s hope, and I believe there’re reasons to have hope, the greedy fix this mess they’ve created.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:14 pm

I don't have any hope it will be fixed. If the playoff consisted of every power 5 champ and then the winner of a playoff between every group of 5 champ, I would be alright with that. It probably should be harder to get in from the group of 5. A six team playoff works for me. But then you will have that group that says but so and so from pick your power 5 conference is easily the second best team and they should get in. How do you fix that? Of course in my mind it is already fixed. Win your conference or shut up. This also means the bowls have some interesting teams and match ups. It won't happen, though, because the SEC, B1G, Big12, PAC12, and ACC doesn't want it to happen.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:05 pm

Admittedly, it’s a glimmer of hope, but that glimmer to me is seeing those 3 ‘Alliance Conferences’ put a stop to the 12 team expansion model for the CFP and things going on like in the article I posted below……… I don’t know if it’s just me trying to read the tea leaves or simply wishful thinking while saying to myself, ‘These dumbasses are going to ruin College Football”. 8)

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ent-model/
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:10 am

-------------------------------------------------------------

Now this man gets it ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4xXd05o0ys

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:25 pm

The 2nd point at 4:11 is quite good. And why I wish would just go back to the Bowl system.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:23 am

Spence wrote:Cincinnati went toe to toe with Georgia to finish the season last year with a walk off field goal giving Georgia the win. They beat Notre Dame who is a committee blue blood and ranked 10. Why not quit acting like this is a championship for the FBS and just admit it is a championship for the power 5. No one else need apply. Quit acting like anyone else has a chance when they do not. Actually they could say that anyone not named Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Oklahoma, LSU, Notre Dame, USC, UCLA, Michigan, Penn State, or Texas, Florida, Clemson, or Florida State really doesn't have a chance unless all of these teams fail.

I agree 100%. Your post would make the late Donovan proud.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:24 am

Dossenator wrote:
Spence wrote:Cincinnati went toe to toe with Georgia to finish the season last year with a walk off field goal giving Georgia the win. They beat Notre Dame who is a committee blue blood and ranked 10. Why not quit acting like this is a championship for the FBS and just admit it is a championship for the power 5. No one else need apply. Quit acting like anyone else has a chance when they do not. Actually they could say that anyone not named Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Oklahoma, LSU, Notre Dame, USC, UCLA, Michigan, Penn State, or Texas, Florida, Clemson, or Florida State really doesn't have a chance unless all of these teams fail.

I agree 100%. Your post would make the late Donovan proud.

It took me a while, but when I took a long hard look at how things were being done, I came to the conclusion that Donovan was right in how the process works. I do think that for the most part the traditional brands and top teams would take down the best teams in the group of five, but there have been teams - Boise State a couple years, Cincinnati, and Central Florida that had a chance to make a run and didn't get the chance. If an expanded playoff would include those teams .... give them a chance.... then as much as I don't like the expanded version, I would be for it. I am afraid, however, it will be just another avenue to add traditional teams that draw well. Just another Power 5 power grab. I am not for that.

Return to “General Discussion”