Coaching Updates 2021

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Coaching Updates 2021

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:16 pm

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:
Cane from the Bend wrote:-------------------------------------------------------------

Well, Manny found a new house ...

And it's in Happy Valley.

Penn State hires Manny Diaz as their new Defensive Coordinator.

Didn't take him long to get that call. And with the buyout he got, he'll have a nice safety net to sit on.

………and James Franklin found his pipeline to those fertile recruiting ground in Southern Florida too. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Not sure about that. If he had a solid pipeline in south Florida he may still have a head coaching job.

Another :arrow: :idea: :wink:

point

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:01 pm

My Goodness……. things are not going well AT AII for Urban Meyer OR the Jacksonville Jaguars!!!!!

Seeing lots of negative press about Meyer personally and his relationships with his coaches and players………. and considering the team’s performance and results on the field are not good.
Makes me wonder…….. with these 10 year, 100 million dollar contracts floating around college football, if Meyer would return to the college game. :? :? :?
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:49 am

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:
Cane from the Bend wrote:-------------------------------------------------------------

Didn't take him long to get that call. And with the buyout he got, he'll have a nice safety net to sit on.

………and James Franklin found his pipeline to those fertile recruiting ground in Southern Florida too. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Not sure about that. If he had a solid pipeline in south Florida he may still have a head coaching job.

No, it would've taken his winning more games to retain that role.

The firing of Blake James was the indicator.

The board trustees members wanted to get rid of Manny back in October. They more or less had Cristobal ready to sign in early November.

Mario said, he wouldn't take the job, if Blake James was the AD.

James got axed on November 15th.

The Administration was hoping Mario would agree to the job. Then they were going to make Manny's exit public, after December 1rst, when Diaz's remaining buyout dropped from $10 million, to $8 million.

They committed to Cristobal by terminating Blake James' employment.

However, in doing so, it left no Director of Athletics to make the coaching change.

Then, Oregon leaked the news Mario was potentially leaving Eugene, by whispering in the media's ear that UM had given Cristobal an ultimatum.

I'm assuming they were either hoping it would create enough ridicule, that it would give Mario pause, while they crafted a contract he couldn't refuse --- Or, they did it out of spite, looking to damage the reputation of Miami even further.

One of the reasons Miami had a slow process in all of this, is that the School had always paid coaches salaries off of Sports Generated Revenue. They never relied on, or asked of the booster club to pay coaches.

That all changed, as of recently, when Billionaire Miami graduate & booster John Ruiz went full donor mode, with intent on rebuilding Miami's Football program.

And, to put it on the record now; Yes, it is true, that new head coach Mario Cristobal is in fact related through marriage to Ruiz.

See how it all ties together?

>

And now suddenly, Miami is also being investigated by the NCAA over it's NIL endorsement deal.

[BYU is getting drug through the mud for this too]

The timing is rather suspicious. Although, the deal Miami has, was meticulously scoured over by the lawyers of the Alumnus, Dan Lambert, owner of ATT [no not the phone company; American Top Team: MMA Gym & Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu], also a Miami booster.

They made certain that there were no rules violations anywhere in the deal.

It's by strict guidelines of the NIL code.

The Miami players are paid for endorsement of ATT.

But for the NCAA to start an investigation into it, now, just as National Signing Day approaches, is rather perplexing, as the NCAA didn't even raise an eyebrow the entire season, while this deal has been in place.

It's frustrating, and alarming, as whenever a school goes under investigation, rival recruiters use it against you. They will tell potential recruits, "Don't go there. They are about to be sanctioned."

It's what rival recruiters did during the whole Nevin Shapiro mess. They told recruits, Miami was possibly going to receive the Death Penalty. Then told the recruits to ask the Miami recruiting staff about the status of the investigation, knowing Miami was incapable of relaying any information, because the FBI was involved.

There were recruits who came out and said; "I wanted to go there. But when I asked them about the NCAA investigation, they told me they couldn't talk about it. So I didn't trust them."

It set the U back quite a bit.

The NCAA kept the investigation open for over a year and a half.

This time around, there shouldn't be a lengthy entanglement with he NCAA. The deal Miami has, was drawn up by the book.

If it does wind up lingering, then expect Miami to retaliate with legal action. The University is in power motion right now. It's full steam ahead. So I don't believe they will sit passively on their hands anymore.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:13 am

-------------------------------------------------------------

Although Georgia's Defensive Coordinator, Dan Lanning was speculated as the likely next Jayhawks head coach.

That position has been filled by Lance Leipold.

Though Leipold signed a 5 year extension with Buffalo, in 2020, Kansas lured him away, as the 40th Head Coach.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:16 am

And because of that hire, Dan Lanning was still available ...

So, Oregon followed Oklahoma's lead, and hired a big time program's DC as their HC.

Lanning is the new Head Coach for the Oregon Ducks.

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:27 am

With the departure of Leipold to Kansas ...

Buffalo names Maurice Linguist as their new Head Coach.

Linguist is coming out of Ann Arbor, where he has been the Co-Defensive Coordinator and DB's coach at Michigan.

Linguist previously served as Buffalo's Corner Backs coach, 2012 & 2013.

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:45 am

I found all of this interesting, since the last two above are leaving Georgia & Michigan without their D-Coordinators just before they play one another in round 1 of the College Football Playoff [invitational].

With Linguist having been a Co-DC, and has only been with Blue since last season, maybe his departure will be less apparent.

Though, he was the Secondary Coach, so look to see how it effects the Wolverine DB play vs UGA.

As for Georgia, this might be bad news.

They'll be without their lead defensive caller for the Orange Bowl. While their defense has been the Bulldogs life force all this season.

Dan Lanning was hired by Georgia as outside linebackers coach in 2018. When Mel Tucker left Georgia as the DC for the Head Coaching position at Colorado, Lanning became the Defensive Coordinator. So he's been calling Georgia's defensive plays for the last 3 yeas.

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:57 am

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

No, it would've taken his winning more games to retain that role.

The firing of Blake James was the indicator.

The board trustees members wanted to get rid of Manny back in October. They more or less had Cristobal ready to sign in early November.

Mario said, he wouldn't take the job, if Blake James was the AD.

James got axed on November 15th.

The Administration was hoping Mario would agree to the job. Then they were going to make Manny's exit public, after December 1rst, when Diaz's remaining buyout dropped from $10 million, to $8 million.

They committed to Cristobal by terminating Blake James' employment.

However, in doing so, it left no Director of Athletics to make the coaching change.

Then, Oregon leaked the news Mario was potentially leaving Eugene, by whispering in the media's ear that UM had given Cristobal an ultimatum.

I'm assuming they were either hoping it would create enough ridicule, that it would give Mario pause, while they crafted a contract he couldn't refuse --- Or, they did it out of spite, looking to damage the reputation of Miami even further.

One of the reasons Miami had a slow process in all of this, is that the School had always paid coaches salaries off of Sports Generated Revenue. They never relied on, or asked of the booster club to pay coaches.

That all changed, as of recently, when Billionaire Miami graduate & booster John Ruiz went full donor mode, with intent on rebuilding Miami's Football program.

And, to put it on the record now; Yes, it is true, that new head coach Mario Cristobal is in fact related through marriage to Ruiz.

See how it all ties together?

>

And now suddenly, Miami is also being investigated by the NCAA over it's NIL endorsement deal.

[BYU is getting drug through the mud for this too]

The timing is rather suspicious. Although, the deal Miami has, was meticulously scoured over by the lawyers of the Alumnus, Dan Lambert, owner of ATT [no not the phone company; American Top Team: MMA Gym & Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu], also a Miami booster.

They made certain that there were no rules violations anywhere in the deal.

It's by strict guidelines of the NIL code.

The Miami players are paid for endorsement of ATT.

But for the NCAA to start an investigation into it, now, just as National Signing Day approaches, is rather perplexing, as the NCAA didn't even raise an eyebrow the entire season, while this deal has been in place.

It's frustrating, and alarming, as whenever a school goes under investigation, rival recruiters use it against you. They will tell potential recruits, "Don't go there. They are about to be sanctioned."

It's what rival recruiters did during the whole Nevin Shapiro mess. They told recruits, Miami was possibly going to receive the Death Penalty. Then told the recruits to ask the Miami recruiting staff about the status of the investigation, knowing Miami was incapable of relaying any information, because the FBI was involved.

There were recruits who came out and said; "I wanted to go there. But when I asked them about the NCAA investigation, they told me they couldn't talk about it. So I didn't trust them."

It set the U back quite a bit.

The NCAA kept the investigation open for over a year and a half.

This time around, there shouldn't be a lengthy entanglement with he NCAA. The deal Miami has, was drawn up by the book.

If it does wind up lingering, then expect Miami to retaliate with legal action. The University is in power motion right now. It's full steam ahead. So I don't believe they will sit passively on their hands anymore.

Good Stuff, Cane…….. it’s a look into the behind the scenes goings on in College Football.

It reminds me of what one becomes aware of and how beat-up the kids are when they see what goes on in the Trainer’s Facilities after a game, and seeing the Trainers and medical staff working on the players. :|

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:09 pm

Mountainman wrote:My Goodness……. things are not going well AT AII for Urban Meyer OR the Jacksonville Jaguars!!!!!

Seeing lots of negative press about Meyer personally and his relationships with his coaches and players………. and considering the team’s performance and results on the field are not good.
Makes me wonder…….. with these 10 year, 100 million dollar contracts floating around college football, if Meyer would return to the college game. :? :? :?

I think Meyer will be back in CFB by next year. I am sure someone will hire him. Everyone knows I wasn't a Meyer fan when they hired him. I have always thought he made it a point to jump into favorable situations, then jumped ship when the ship looked like it may sink or he was about to get in trouble. He is a good recruiter. Maybe not the best overall judge of talent or at least character. He didn't really mess anything up at Ohio State and he left us Ryan Day - I do like Day- so don't have a good Ohio State reason not to like him. I just never have. Not going all the way back to when he was 1st at Ohio State or Bowling Green. I just wish he would have went to Notre Dame so we couldn't get Marcus Freeman back. Not dissing Knowles, but any kind you can bring a Buckeye back, it is a good thing IMO.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:11 am

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:My Goodness……. things are not going well AT AII for Urban Meyer OR the Jacksonville Jaguars!!!!!

I think Meyer will be back in CFB by next year. I am sure someone will hire him. Everyone knows I wasn't a Meyer fan when they hired him. I have always thought he made it a point to jump into favorable situations, then jumped ship when the ship looked like it may sink or he was about to get in trouble. He is a good recruiter. Maybe not the best overall judge of talent or at least character. He didn't really mess anything up at Ohio State and he left us Ryan Day - I do like Day- so don't have a good Ohio State reason not to like him. I just never have. Not going all the way back to when he was 1st at Ohio State or Bowling Green. I just wish he would have went to Notre Dame so we couldn't get Marcus Freeman back. Not dissing Knowles, but any kind you can bring a Buckeye back, it is a good thing IMO.

I just read this morning where the Jaguars fired him. 8)

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:54 pm

Mountainman wrote:
Spence wrote:

How's that failure from Texas Tech doing in the nfl ..?

Isn't he succeeding at Arizona .?.

I think all of this just proves, some guys are more suited to the pros, whereas other guys are much better fitted in College.

Meyers will undoubtedly get hired somewhere.

And if no large Power5 Program is available, I'd expect him to go through the continued motions:

1rst -- Get hired to a school you pledge allegiance to, on a smaller Power5 Scale
2cnd -- A year later, jump to a Vacancy at a Power5 Potential contender.
3rd -- Two years later, win a National Title.
4th -- A year later, retire for health related issues.

Wash, rinse, repeat ...

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:25 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Mountainman wrote:
Spence wrote:

How's that failure from Texas Tech doing in the nfl ..?

Isn't he succeeding at Arizona .?.

I think all of this just proves, some guys are more suited to the pros, whereas other guys are much better fitted in College.

Meyers will undoubtedly get hired somewhere.

And if no large Power5 Program is available, I'd expect him to go through the continued motions:

1rst -- Get hired to a school you pledge allegiance to, on a smaller Power5 Scale
2cnd -- A year later, jump to a Vacancy at a Power5 Potential contender.
3rd -- Two years later, win a National Title.
4th -- A year later, retire for health related issues.

Wash, rinse, repeat ...

THe Bobby Petrino method. Except for the health retirement.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:30 am

A couple of updates to this thread ...

The first, is one I'm posting a few days after the fact.

The rumors started popping up about a week and a half ago, that Travaris Robinson, Miami's Defensive Backs Coach, was garnering a lot of interest from both Georgia & Alabama.

As much as I'd have Loved for those rumors to stay on that block, they came of the pedestal mid week, as Alabama poached him away from Miami on Wednesday.

Not only is he a great DB coach. He is one of the best recruiting closers in the country.

This was a tough hit.

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:53 am

The Second Update ...

This is one I found a bit interesting, just how it all mashed up.

Hawai'i reached out to June Jones, not merely as a candidate, rather "The Guy" they wanted.

Then this transpired:

Official Statement Release by David Matlin; Hawai’i Director of Athletics: We met with coach Jones earlier today and, unfortunately, could not come to terms with an agreement for him to be our next head football coach. I understand that there has been a lot of support for Coach Jones this past week but he has declined our offer. I respect his decision and we need to move forward in our search. At the end of the day we couldn't agree on a succession plan that I felt was important for our student-athletes and supporters of Rainbow Warrior football. We are working tirelessly to get a head coach on board to lead our program and are fully aware of the sensitivity to national signing day on Feb. 2.

In response:

Jone Jones: So I would like to comment and give my thoughts on the Football Head Coaching job..I am still interested in this job for the people of Hawai’i but the job offered to me today there is no way I could accept with the conditions offered me …No coach in their right mind would accept!

Dictating who can be on my staff and only 2 year contract..What recruit would come if I was here for 2 years???..this has never been about money-but it is about giving me the ability to turn our program around and not have people tell me who is on my staff or how to coach my team

That all happened Friday ---

On Saturday; Just a couple of hours ago:

Hawai’i Announces Former QB Timmy Chang As Its New Head Football Coach.

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:27 am

Appears David Martin got the man he wanted…….. while outmaneuvering the preference of others. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”