Coaching Updates 2021

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Coaching Updates 2021

Postby Spence » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:31 pm

Harbaugh flirting with the NFL cost him both coordinators this year. One was a Broyles award winner. I don't know why he would do what he did in such a public manner. It was almost like he wanted the university to kneel before him. I thought he was a good hire when they hired him. Maybe the best they could get at the time. I know think that this is going to end badly for him and the university. They are a marriage of convenience and it is getting less and less convenient in Ann Arbor for all parties concerned.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:20 pm

I suspect the boosters at Auburn are about to get their way and get Harsin fired.

We'll see. I don't believe the allegations about the affair. They could be true, but I just don't see it.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:01 am

Derek wrote:I suspect the boosters at Auburn are about to get their way and get Harsin fired.

We'll see. I don't believe the allegations about the affair. They could be true, but I just don't see it.

I’m wondering who they’re wanting to replace him with……. We’ll see if they’re serious about becoming a contender or if this is just a peeing contest between booster groups or politicians, or whatever. If they do run Harsin off and Hugh Freeze is not at the top of their hiring list then IMHO this is just another peeing contest. 8)

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:23 pm

Spence wrote:Harbaugh flirting with the NFL cost him both coordinators this year. One was a Broyles award winner. I don't know why he would do what he did in such a public manner. It was almost like he wanted the university to kneel before him. I thought he was a good hire when they hired him. Maybe the best they could get at the time. I know think that this is going to end badly for him and the university. They are a marriage of convenience and it is getting less and less convenient in Ann Arbor for all parties concerned.

I gotta admit, this whole Harbaugh thing has been confounding from the start…….. why would he want to return to College Football Coaching after his successful Pro Football Coaching career, why would he act so silly when recruiting players, and more recently, why announce his intentions of returning to Pro Football????

He was certainly successful in his return to the college game as his players, beating Ohio State, winning the conference title and making it to the CFP demonstrates…….. but his effort to return to Pro Football has yet to show positive results other than Michigan welcoming him back from a failed attempt that cost the program a couple of very good coaches.

It has crossed my mind that maybe Harbaugh’s being open and honest about his intentions is so different from what we’re accustomed to when it comes to the antics surrounding College Football…… that maybe the man is just being open and honest, a rarity around the NCAA and College Football. 8)

I’m sure you recall my experience with The Michigan Men and their covert, secret and underhanded ways, between them a Rich Rodriquez together they went a long way in costing WVU a shot at a National Title.

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:10 pm

I think he was hurt that they cut his pay the year before and he thought they would come begging for him. They didn't.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:12 am

--------------------------------------------------------------

Miami is making moves ...

I'm guessing, now that the heavy recruiting phase is over, Mario put his emphasis on staff acquisition.

Hey, Georgia!

Wanna poach one of our star recruiters, and Co-Offensive Coordinator; we see you, and raise you one.

Miami fires back, with a guy even Mountainman is familiar with, hiring DB Coach and ace recruiter Jahmile Addae as the next Hurricanes' Defensive Backs Coach.

This is an excellent hire, as we have seen just how strong Georgia's Defensive Backfield has been. And, the list of 4 & 5 star D-Backs recruits who signed with UGA accredited to Addae [including the 2022 class], is an impressive who's who of lockdown talent.

Also, Miami has hired Frank Ponce, Appalachian State's highly productive Offensive Coordinator and sole signal caller, as the next Hurricanes' QB Coach.

Ponce is a Miami area native. His an passing offensive yardage per game was 249 average. And coached Chase Brice to a 3,500 passing year, as App State QB.

For the guys listed as our Defensive and Offensive Coordinators, these two hires are very positive additions, and dare I say it; Validate the previous two.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:19 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:--------------------------------------------------------------

Miami is making moves ...

I'm guessing, now that the heavy recruiting phase is over, Mario put his emphasis on staff acquisition.

Hey, Georgia!

Wanna poach one of our star recruiters, and Co-Offensive Coordinator; we see you, and raise you one.

Miami fires back, with a guy even Mountainman is familiar with, hiring DB Coach and ace recruiter Jahmile Addae as the next Hurricanes' Defensive Backs Coach.

This is an excellent hire, as we have seen just how strong Georgia's Defensive Backfield has been. And, the list of 4 & 5 star D-Backs recruits who signed with UGA accredited to Addae [including the 2022 class], is an impressive who's who of lockdown talent.

Also, Miami has hired Frank Ponce, Appalachian State's highly productive Offensive Coordinator and sole signal caller, as the next Hurricanes' QB Coach.

Ponce is a Miami area native. His an passing offensive yardage per game was 249 average. And coached Chase Brice to a 3,500 passing year, as App State QB.

For the guys listed as our Defensive and Offensive Coordinators, these two hires are very positive additions, and dare I say it; Validate the previous two.

Yep…… he was a really good player and is now a really good coach who can also recruit talent. He made a difference on the field when he was in Morgantown. I hated to see him go.

Although when he left for the Georgia job, he took a couple of really good players with him, dab-gum buttwipe…….. sorry, just had to get that little jab in there. :wink:

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:23 am

Derek wrote:I suspect the boosters at Auburn are about to get their way and get Harsin fired.

Well, we seem to have our answer; for now, that is ...

Noted as, "After a Fact Finding Mission by the Administration", Bryan Harsin is to retain his job as Auburn's head coach.

My guess, is that either there were some stretches being made, to connect the dots, that the Admin only found to be circumstantial. Or, there was nothing to this at all, and speculation from Booster Central who wants to be in charge, wasn't worth the paper being flushed.

Even or, someone in Harsin's camp said; "Is what you have more damaging to us than what we have on you?"

Either way, I'm not sure, if I'm Harsin, that I want to be in a place that is so obviously toxic to its coaching fraternity.

Maybe he wants the job for whatever money he's got left of them to pay him.

Or maybe he's gonna stay out of spite.

If I'm Harsin, I do what I can to win as much as I can; and if I beat Bama' ... quit on the spot.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:30 am

Cane from the Bend wrote:

Well, we seem to have our answer; for now, that is ...

Noted as, "After a Fact Finding Mission by the Administration", Bryan Harsin is to retain his job as Auburn's head coach.

My guess, is that either there were some stretches being made, to connect the dots, that the Admin only found to be circumstantial. Or, there was nothing to this at all, and speculation from Booster Central who wants to be in charge, wasn't worth the paper being flushed.

Even or, someone in Harsin's camp said; "Is what you have more damaging to us than what we have on you?"

Either way, I'm not sure, if I'm Harsin, that I want to be in a place that is so obviously toxic to its coaching fraternity.

Maybe he wants the job for whatever money he's got left of them to pay him.

Or maybe he's gonna stay out of spite.

If I'm Harsin, I do what I can to win as much as I can; and if I beat Bama' ... quit on the spot.

Agree completely. Not sure why anyone would want to go to Auburn with their reputation. I think Troy would be a happier place, but you obviously wouldn't be in the same tax bracket. 8)
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:57 pm

-------------------------------------------------------------

Buckeyes looking to reshape things a bit ...

Ohio State hires Tim Walton from the Jacksonville Jaguars and Perry Eliano from the Cincinnati Bearcats.

Tim Walton [who played as a cornerback for OSU] is hired as the new Secondary/Cornerbacks Coach.

Perry Eliano was Cincy's Cornerback Coach. Ohio St has hired him as their next Safties Coach, replacing Matt Barnes, who was hired by Memphis as the Tigers new Defensive Coordinator.

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:33 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:-------------------------------------------------------------

Buckeyes looking to reshape things a bit ...

Ohio State hires Tim Walton from the Jacksonville Jaguars and Perry Eliano from the Cincinnati Bearcats.

Tim Walton [who played as a cornerback for OSU] is hired as the new Secondary/Cornerbacks Coach.

Perry Eliano was Cincy's Cornerback Coach. Ohio St has hired him as their next Safties Coach, replacing Matt Barnes, who was hired by Memphis as the Tigers new Defensive Coordinator.

Ohio State basically scrapped the defense and started over.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:49 am

Spence wrote:I think he was hurt that they cut his pay the year before and he thought they would come begging for him. They didn't.

That makes sense and very well could be the case…….. but let’s wait and see what Ole Jimmy’s contract looks like now that ‘The Michigan Men’ have welcomed him back.

As you know, I’m suspicious of ‘Michigan Men’…….. could it be Ole Jimmy was playing his fellows up in Ann Arbor, who welcomed him back with haste and open arms, after his successful season and pay-cut, in this era of million dollar plus perks 10 year guaranteed contracts??????

We’ll see……. 8) 8) 8)

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:03 pm

Oh…….. look what I just found. :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... 7-million/

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:16 am

Imagine that. :lol:

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:09 am

-------------------------------------------------------------

Now here's one I didn't see coming ...

Miami hires Charlie Strong as the new Linebackers Coach.

There were calls for Strong to be the next D-Coordinator from some of the fans, 2 years ago. But nobody was taking that seriously.

Here, we hire another former Head Coach as a Positions Coach.

We certainly need help in development at Linebacker. Charlie may very well be the man.

Cane... [__]

Return to “General Discussion”