Coaching Updates 2021

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Coaching Updates 2021

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:00 am

Mountainman wrote:
Cane from the Bend wrote:It had been confirmed ...

Oregon offered Cristobal an massive contract extension.

I have not heard whether Mario inked the dotted line or not. Or if he's waiting for a counter offer to come in from South Beach.

If Cristobal does pledge his allegiance to the Ducks; then Miami should shoot the roulette table with all chips in, and go after Dabo.

I am hearing that Virginia & Duke are bot in play for Tony Elliott, Clemson's Offensive Coordinator.

And the Brent Venables to OU blabber seems like the real thing.

Miami already pilfered the Tigers' cage by swiping their AD out from under them.

If Dabo loses both his OC & DC to other programs, why not throw cast the line and see if he'd bite?

Offer him the job, with a clause that stipulates, there would be no salary penalty for his leaving, in the event Saban retired and he accepted Alabama's offer as their next head coach.

*edit*

Anothing thing to note: Dabo has a current clause in his contract with Clemson, that he could leave without payout penalty, if he no longer is one of the Top 5 annual salaried FBS earning coaches.

With Mel Tucker receiving a $95 million extension, Mario Cristobal getting his $100+million extension, Kelly & Riley both getting north of $100 million, as well as Saban's continued income; Swinney fell out of that top five earners bracket.

Appears the Hurricanes have drawn a line in the sand with Cristobal, and are saying ‘Put up or Shut up’……. 8) 8) 8)

https://www.si.com/college/2021/12/05/m ... head-coach

I'm not sure how much I'm supposed to let out there ...

However, I heard the deal is north of $8 million, and Cristobal had already accepted, before most of those articles about the deadline went to print.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:13 am

--------------------------------------------------------------

I think I'm alright saying it ...

Evidently, them folks in Eugene felt it held enough volition to post up about it [even offering replacement ideas]:

https://autzenzoo.com/2021/12/05/oregon ... cristobal/

I honestly don't know what the hold up is.

My feeling, is Mario was trying to push this until after the Bowl game, hoping to negotiate a higher incentive with a win.

But we need to repair the recruiting class, now.

And as of now, rival recruiters are having a field day, saying, "Why go there? They don't even know who their head coach is."

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:37 am

Mountainman wrote:Oklahoma makes their move……. 8)

They clearly got their man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiSAmOTu0dw

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:14 am

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Mountainman wrote:Oklahoma makes their move……. 8)

They clearly got their man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiSAmOTu0dw

Yep, gotta hand it to those Okies………. appears they understand that if you’re gonna win in the SEC you gotta play offense AND defense. 8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:54 pm

The Wheels On The Bus Go ‘Round and ‘Round………. 8) :roll: 8) :roll:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-fo ... idmgobko07
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:41 pm

Mountainman wrote:The Wheels On The Bus Go ‘Round and ‘Round………. 8) :roll: 8) :roll:

Hey, that article just made this thread a whole lot easier to mitigate.

I didn't have to search, pull and input the info. It's all right there.

Awesome :wink:

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:19 pm

Mountainman wrote:The Wheels On The Bus Go ‘Round and ‘Round………. 8) :roll: 8) :roll:

Hey, that article just made this thread a whole lot easier to mitigate.

I didn't have to search, pull and input the info. It's all right there.

Awesome :wink:

I ran across it and thought this is useful. It’s a chore to keep up with all that’s going on…… it got to the point I was having trouble keeping up with who was going from one place to another. And can you believe the dollars involved that are coming along with big time perks, bonuses for winning games, divisions, conferences, bowls, spots in the CFP, winning a game in the CFP, and winning the CFP, and the longevity and buyouts of these deals……. Appears to me the boosters at these schools are having a hay day!!!!!! Let’s hope we don’t have a repeat of the Old Southwest Conference brewing, because I have NO IDEA who’s looking out for College Football. :| :| :|

Question: What do you think has caused all this Coaching Migration and these huge sums of money being tossed around…… What’s happened here and who’s paying for it????? :?

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:05 pm

-------------------------------------------------------------

Oof ...

So the numbers on Kelly I had were a little off; by about $3 million per season ... more.

Let's see if I can do a Brian Kelly: Them there's good ol' folk down yeer in Loosee'aner went an' offered up a bushel of dolla's for his services. Why, they's givin'im a cool $13 millyon a'ye'ar fers 8 ye'ars. Which I reckon comes tah $125 millyon.

I guess Riley almost had the biggest contract.

Man, those Sugar Cane fileds must have had an extra yield or two this past harvest.

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:53 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:-------------------------------------------------------------

Oof ...

So the numbers on Kelly I had were a little off; by about $3 million per season ... more.

Let's see if I can do a Brian Kelly: Them there's good ol' folk down yeer in Loosee'aner went an' offered up a bushel of dolla's for his services. Why, they's givin'im a cool $13 millyon a'ye'ar fers 8 ye'ars. Which I reckon comes tah $125 millyon.

I guess Riley almost had the biggest contract.

Man, those Sugar Cane fileds must have had an extra yield or two this past harvest.

Cane, let me te-ya sumthin’…….. ain’t narry such uh word liike “there” round dese eer parts. Listen now, listen to me…… hit’s “thar”, ya hear me talkin’ to ya?.. Hits “thar”.

Educated folk calls hit un addverb……. say liike, “usin’s went on over to Chattanooga and stayed THAR fer 3 daze un nites, or say liike, when yer agreetin’ a body by uh sayin, ”HOWDY THAR”, or say when yer uh indicitin’ uh fact, say liike, “Thar’s uh feller a sellin’ corn likker ‘round behind da Barber Shop.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Enough foolishness, tell me just what’s the thinking down in Coral Gables with this Mario Cristobal guy……. His win/loss record ain’t all that, and Miami is reportedly going to pay him a boat load of money???????? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:46 pm

Mountainman wrote:Cane, let me te-ya sumthin’…….. ain’t narry such uh word liike “there” round dese eer parts. Listen now, listen to me…… hit’s “thar”, ya hear me talkin’ to ya?.. Hits “thar”.

Educated folk calls hit un addverb……. say liike, “usin’s went on over to Chattanooga and stayed THAR fer 3 daze un nites, or say liike, when yer agreetin’ a body by uh sayin, ”HOWDY THAR”, or say when yer uh indicitin’ uh fact, say liike, “Thar’s uh feller a sellin’ corn likker ‘round behind da Barber Shop.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Enough foolishness, tell me just what’s the thinking down in Coral Gables with this Mario Cristobal guy……. His win/loss record ain’t all that, and Miami is reportedly going to pay him a boat load of money???????? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Miami has become a hot bed of Local Centric familiarity.

For some reason, they believe the formula to success is to hire home town first.

Mario is an interesting choice.

There is some upside & downside. Of course we know his overall head coaching record isn't stellar. At the same time, one could look at Oregon's record the two years prior to his taking the job.

4-8 under Mark Helfrich
7-6 under Willie Taggart

And the recruiting had suffered tremendously between those two guys.

Cristobal went:

9-4
12-2 (with a Pac-12 title and a Rose Bowl win)
4-3 (in a season where they didn't start play until November)
10-3

I know the onset of losing to Utah twice by 31 and 28 points looks bad. Sometimes a team is playing that much better right now.

But it's not like Whittingham just has Cristobal's number. In 2019, Oregon beat Utah for the Pac-12 title, 37-15.

When the elements are right for your team, and mismatches on the field happen, one team is going to outclass the other.

Alabama/Georgia for example.

What Cristobal has been able to do on the recruiting trail, is remarkable.

Before he got to Oregon, he was at Alabama as the Assistant head coach, Offensive Line coach and Head of Recruiting.

He was what started the cracks in the Dam, where players started being siphoned out of South Florida, and started choosing Alabama.

In last year's recruiting class, for Oregon, Cristobal signed:

The #1 player from Arizona
The #1 player from Colorado
The #1 player from Missouri
The #1 player from New York
The #1 player from Oregon
The #1 player from Utah
The #2 player from California
The #3 player from California

The year before that, he signed the #1 & #2 Inside Linebackers in the country.

Miami is giving him $8 and a half million a year, while giving an additional $25 million to spend on his staff.

Cristobal turned down $100+ million over 10 years from Oregon, to be in Miami.

Recruiting is a huge part of it. Though, one of the worst position groups on the current Hurricanes team, by far, has to be the O-Line.

He was an O-Lineman. He Coached Alabama's O-Line, and knows how to evaluate players in the position.

The biggest question marks are going to be staff hires.

He'll need to get the right people in there to run the parts he's lacked in.

Overall, it's a better than what we had.

I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic about it. Because it's been so long since Miami has had competent leadership.

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:47 pm

Mountainman wrote:Cane, let me te-ya sumthin’…….. ain’t narry such uh word liike “there” round dese eer parts. Listen now, listen to me…… hit’s “thar”, ya hear me talkin’ to ya?.. Hits “thar”.

Miami has become a hot bed of Local Centric familiarity.

For some reason, they believe the formula to success is to hire home town first.

Mario is an interesting choice.

There is some upside & downside. Of course we know his overall head coaching record isn't stellar. At the same time, one could look at Oregon's record the two years prior to his taking the job.

4-8 under Mark Helfrich
7-6 under Willie Taggart

And the recruiting had suffered tremendously between those two guys.

Cristobal went:

9-4
12-2 (with a Pac-12 title and a Rose Bowl win)
4-3 (in a season where they didn't start play until November)
10-3

I know the onset of losing to Utah twice by 31 and 28 points looks bad. Sometimes a team is playing that much better right now.

But it's not like Whittingham just has Cristobal's number. In 2019, Oregon beat Utah for the Pac-12 title, 37-15.

When the elements are right for your team, and mismatches on the field happen, one team is going to outclass the other.

Alabama/Georgia for example.

What Cristobal has been able to do on the recruiting trail, is remarkable.

Before he got to Oregon, he was at Alabama as the Assistant head coach, Offensive Line coach and Head of Recruiting.

He was what started the cracks in the Dam, where players started being siphoned out of South Florida, and started choosing Alabama.

In last year's recruiting class, for Oregon, Cristobal signed:

The #1 player from Arizona
The #1 player from Colorado
The #1 player from Missouri
The #1 player from New York
The #1 player from Oregon
The #1 player from Utah
The #2 player from California
The #3 player from California

The year before that, he signed the #1 & #2 Inside Linebackers in the country.

Miami is giving him $8 and a half million a year, while giving an additional $25 million to spend on his staff.

Cristobal turned down $100+ million over 10 years from Oregon, to be in Miami.

Recruiting is a huge part of it. Though, one of the worst position groups on the current Hurricanes team, by far, has to be the O-Line.

He was an O-Lineman. He Coached Alabama's O-Line, and knows how to evaluate players in the position.

The biggest question marks are going to be staff hires.

He'll need to get the right people in there to run the parts he's lacked in.

Overall, it's a better than what we had.

I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic about it. Because it's been so long since Miami has had competent leadership.

Sounds good……. Offensive Lineman, experienced line and head coach, proven recruiter and knows the territory in a hot bed of recruiting, and I’ve read where there’s a commitment from the school, $25 million, for his staff. And after reading about his meeting with the press, he knows what he’s up against and how to go about rebuilding the Canes……. 8) 8) 8)

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:05 am

-------------------------------------------------------------

Well, Manny found a new house ...

And it's in Happy Valley.

Penn State hires Manny Diaz as their new Defensive Coordinator.

Didn't take him long to get that call. And with the buyout he got, he'll have a nice safety net to sit on.

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:41 am

Cane from the Bend wrote:-------------------------------------------------------------

Didn't take him long to get that call. And with the buyout he got, he'll have a nice safety net to sit on.

………and James Franklin found his pipeline to those fertile recruiting ground in Southern Florida too. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:23 pm

Mountainman wrote:
Cane from the Bend wrote:………and James Franklin found his pipeline to those fertile recruiting ground in Southern Florida too. :wink: :wink: :wink:

:arrow: :idea:

point

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:06 pm

Mountainman wrote:

………and James Franklin found his pipeline to those fertile recruiting ground in Southern Florida too. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Not sure about that. If he had a solid pipeline in south Florida he may still have a head coaching job.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “General Discussion”