How About Eliminating Overtime…… just exactly what’s wrong with a tie???

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

How About Eliminating Overtime…… just exactly what’s wrong with a tie???

Postby Mountainman » Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:56 pm

8) 8) 8)

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... g-the-game

………. and while this is going on, the CFP has put forth a proposal of a 12 team playoff where the TOP 4 teams would receive a FIRST ROUND BYE with the remaining 8 playing an opening round game in order to advance to play those TOP 4 teams. Think about that for a moment in the context of this ‘study’. :roll: :roll: :roll:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: How About Eliminating Overtime…… just exactly what’s wrong with a tie???

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:59 pm

-------------------------------------------------------------

And they are meeting to propose ways to shorten the games, by "Limiting the number of plays".

One of those proposals they are looking at, is the elimination of time stopping for first downs.

This is something I do not want to see happen.

They keep trying to shorten game length, only to see broadcast times remain the same.

I wish they'd just be honest.

What they are actually trying to do, is limit the time of field broadcast, so they can cram in more advertiser time.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:15 am

I hate ties.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:02 pm

Spence wrote:I hate ties.

……….but, but, but, what about all that “exposure” that comes with those ‘Overtimes’???

:shock: :shock: :shock:

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:49 pm

I like exposure. More game minutes. What any of us old guys would trade for a few more minutes on the field.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:19 am

Spence wrote:I like exposure. More game minutes. What any of us old guys would trade for a few more minutes on the field.

Yep……. I wonder just what the game will look like when it’s all said and done.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:13 pm

Who knows. The world is too wussy-fied for football any more. I get that Jack Tatum football should not be played anymore, but the absolute fear of lawsuits has the schools afraid to let them play the game.

I just heard the new d coordinator at Ohio State says that he won't do much tackling in practice. I don't know what he knows about the Buckeye defense last year, but too much tackling wasn't their issue. :roll:

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:13 am

Spence wrote:Who knows. The world is too wussy-fied for football any more. I get that Jack Tatum football should not be played anymore, but the absolute fear of lawsuits has the schools afraid to let them play the game.

I just heard the new d coordinator at Ohio State says that he won't do much tackling in practice. I don't know what he knows about the Buckeye defense last year, but too much tackling wasn't their issue. :roll:

Agreed, hell the highest paid people around a football program nowadays isn’t the coaches, even with their 10 year, 10 million bucks per year guaranteed contracts, it’s the darn lawyers (have you seen the legal fees paid by the NCAA), and the days of two tight and 3 backs in the backfield are long gone, except maybe for the Army/Navy game……… No more ‘team’ in the game, everybody gotta have a ‘STAR’ and makes it appear more like Hollywood, TV timeouts interrupting the flow and rhythm of games with some guys in an orange vest standing at the 30 yard line with a clock on a pole counting down the the seconds until the refs can whistle the ball in play. Game Officials taking sooooo much time to WALK to the sidelines to review plays and talk to some far off place that’s looking at the very same thing they are………. and I’ve never ever seen and never ever thought it could possibly happen that with half a dozen majorettes and twirlers, 15-20 cheerleaders and 30-40 Chorus Line Dancers performing at every home game that everyone of them is flat chested!!!!! :shock: :shock:

I guess they’ve taken the ‘boobs’ off the young ladies and put them in charge of College Football….. :roll:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:47 pm

:lol: :lol:

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:13 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:-------------------------------------------------------------

What they are actually trying to do, is limit the time of field broadcast, so they can cram in more advertiser time.

Exactly. And they are too short sighted to see how that relates to people continuing to pull the plug on regular TV.

I haven't had Satellite or cable TV in about a decade. Don't need to commercials, don't need the $100+ month expense to watch more commercials.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:51 pm

Derek wrote:
Cane from the Bend wrote:-------------------------------------------------------------

Exactly. And they are too short sighted to see how that relates to people continuing to pull the plug on regular TV.

I haven't had Satellite or cable TV in about a decade. Don't need to commercials, don't need the $100+ month expense to watch more commercials.

I'm right there with you ...

Got rid of Cable for Direct TV back in the early-mid 2000's, because Comcast raised their rates every quarter.

Got rid of Direct TV when we moved to our current home back in 2009/2010.

I got AT&T Uverse for Phone/Internet, which also by default allows me to find an online source for network streaming with my AT&T account.

I don't miss the extra cost.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:36 pm

Kentucky would probably be all for eliminating OT.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:58 pm

:lol:
Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:30 pm

Coach Holloway at Saint Peters makes $285k per year.

Coach Calipari at Kentucky makes $8.6 million per year.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:33 pm

Mountainman wrote:Coach Holloway at Saint Peters makes $285k per year.

Coach Calipari at Kentucky makes $8.6 million per year.

Someone certainly earned his keep last night ...

And it definitely was not Calipari.

Cane... [__]

Return to “General Discussion”