I Don't Buy The Dialog ... [more realignment]

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

I Don't Buy The Dialog ... [more realignment]

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:19 pm

-------------------------------------------------------------

UCLA & USC are joining the Big 10, and will likely be in conference by 2024 ...

Let's be honest.

This is purely the next step towards a 2 Major Super Conference landscape.

They've been trying to collapse the Big XII for the better part of a decade. They obliterated the Big East.

Who are the teams left our there that is on the poach list, for the SEC and Big 10?

The ACC is clearly vulnerable. Possibly, they could respond by merging with some Big 12 schools. But how long before the highest paid conferences start offering the Larger Names a placemat at their table?

The impression I've had, is that espn is attempting to push everyone they can into one conference [SEC].

Disney's exclusive contract, would give them ultimate control over the sport itself. Throwing a whole lot of money up front, to try getting these teams to merge, means less opportunity for other networks to gain property brands in the league.

The only way to prevent it in the long run, is to start breaking up the monopoly.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: I Don't Buy The Dialog ... [more realignment]

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:49 pm

O' Yeah, the Pac-12 is done ...

There is a report saying that the UCLA/USC is now done, and that there are between 2 to 4 other Pac-12 teams looking to join the Big 10, and as early as by the end of next week.

Likely look for announcements from Stanford and Cal

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:32 pm

hmmm ...

If 4 teams join the Big 10, they would then be up to 20.

If the Big XII would then take in the homeless Colorado, Utah and Washington/Washington St schools; along with the other members being added over the next couple of years, also the stadium/facility increases at Memphis & Boise as potential targets, they'd be at 20.

The SEC could grab up the Arizona collective, after Oklahoma & Texas join, only needing 2 more; they would be at 20.

The ACC is presently at 14, with an inclusion of ND, then finding 5 more, would become 20.

Is that where we are headed ..?

Four 20 team Super Conferences.

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:57 pm

Well, College Football now has free agency with the Transfer Portal, and paid players with NIL and it appears they’re heading to super conferences stretching from coast to coast and from border to border north and south. College Football is looking more and more like the NFL Model. 8)

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:58 pm

Indeed it does ...

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:13 pm

It makes perfect since to make the conference 2500 miles wide. :roll:

It does make the B1G the most valuable conference in the US. Evern if they don't add anyone else.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:42 pm

-----------------------------------------------------------

Now we're starting to see the motivation ...

Reports in the Rumor Mill, that had been unconfirmed, were saying Oregon & Washington applied for entrance to the Big 10.

Only a couple of hours later; Dennis Dodd reported that
the Big 10 told Oregon & Washington: “we're standing pat for now”
and that the Big 10 is "waiting on a decision by Notre Dame."

There was information leaked, that USC/UCLA were the ones who reached out to the Big 10 ... at least, this is the official story.

It would seem, including another historic annual rival of the irish, that this move was a power play by the Big 10, in order to get ND to join.

However, if the other reports are true, and Stanford along with Cal could become members of the Big 10 as soon as next week; then the Big 10 just told Oregon and Washington "thanks, but no thanks".

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:10 pm

Bottom line is The Mouse and Fox Sports have bought College Football……. and the College and University Presidents sold it. They lost their minds when money was stacked on the table……… and that’s how we got to where we are.

………and btw, if Greg Sankey and ‘The Mouse’ were were patting each other on the back for their shady and covert move to snatch Texas and Oklahoma from the BIGXII, they can stop now, because the BIGTEN and Fox Sports just KICKED BOTH OF THEM IN THE NUTS when it comes to TV Viewers and advertising dollars. :wink: :wink:

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:59 pm

Mountainman wrote:Bottom line is The Mouse and Fox Sports have bought College Football……. and the College and University Presidents sold it. They lost their minds when money was stacked on the table……… and that’s how we got to where we are.

………and btw, if Greg Sankey and ‘The Mouse’ were were patting each other on the back for their shady and covert move to snatch Texas and Oklahoma from the BIGXII, they can stop now, because the BIGTEN and Fox Sports just KICKED BOTH OF THEM IN THE NUTS when it comes to TV Viewers and advertising dollars. :wink: :wink: .

Absolutely ...

That LA media market is vast. If the Big 10 grabs up Stanford & Cal, they would absorb the San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland shares.

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:27 am

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Mountainman wrote:Bottom line is The Mouse and Fox Sports have bought College Football……. and the College and University Presidents sold it. They lost their minds when money was stacked on the table……… and that’s how we got to where we are.

………and btw, if Greg Sankey and ‘The Mouse’ were were patting each other on the back for their shady and covert move to snatch Texas and Oklahoma from the BIGXII, they can stop now, because the BIGTEN and Fox Sports just KICKED BOTH OF THEM IN THE NUTS when it comes to TV Viewers and advertising dollars. :wink: :wink: .

Absolutely ...

That LA media market is vast. If the Big 10 grabs up Stanford & Cal, they would absorb the San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland shares.

Things are changing…….. I wonder what they’ll do with all those flower petals out in Pasadena…. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:51 pm

Mountainman wrote:

Absolutely ...

Things are changing…….. I wonder what they’ll do with all those flower petals out in Pasadena…. :roll: :roll: :roll:

The thing about Granddads ...

They are usually the first to go.

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:55 am

Mountainman wrote:

Absolutely ...

They are usually the first to go. :shock:

That’s been my experience…….. appears the ‘Land of the Woke’ just got a Wake-Up call. While they were shouting and fist pounding about the ‘start time’ of their game, the powers that be came in and wrecked their conference. :roll:

They’ll probably do what they usually do, shout out what an injustice it is, redefine a few word meanings and come up with some new words, carry around some signs, break some windows, set a few fires, spray paint a few walls, and steal a bunch of stuff……. But in the end the truth will once again be demonstrated that there’s nothing in the world that deserves more respect than Brute Force. 8)

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:50 pm

Mountainman wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

Absolutely ...

They are usually the first to go. :shock:

That’s been my experience…….. appears the ‘Land of the Woke’ just got a Wake-Up call. While they were shouting and fist pounding about the ‘start time’ of their game, the powers that be came in and wrecked their conference. :roll:

They’ll probably do what they usually do, shout out what an injustice it is, redefine a few word meanings and come up with some new words, carry around some signs, break some windows, set a few fires, spray paint a few walls, and steal a bunch of stuff……. But in the end the truth will once again be demonstrated that there’s nothing in the world that deserves more respect than Brute Force. 8)

The problem might be, that Marxists don't know how to set their watches/clock/sim cards, let alone realize the "Equity" of earlier start times ...

Though, most probably have a difficult enough time just finding the floor of their bedrooms in the morning, without first being told where they're allowed to put their feet to not be "Colonizer Supremacists".

I wonder if they even realize the Southwest has now encroached.

I got some forewarning [by a Mountaineer guy] that said the Big XII went proactive, and sent invites to Colorado, Utah, Arizona and Arizona State.

If that's where things stop, then the Bay Area may get left to the Ivy League.

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:20 pm

The SEC is looking at the power of the teams they let in. The B1G has always kept their eye on the TV markets. They had tried to get Texas too, but the SEC beat them to it. The way I see it, Notre Dame, Washington, Oregon, North Carolina, and Duke are the Big 10 targets. I would think Miami and Florida State would be in play too, but I would think the SEC has a better chance at them.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:25 am

Spence wrote:The SEC is looking at the power of the teams they let in. The B1G has always kept their eye on the TV markets. They had tried to get Texas too, but the SEC beat them to it. The way I see it, Notre Dame, Washington, Oregon, North Carolina, and Duke are the Big 10 targets. I would think Miami and Florida State would be in play too, but I would think the SEC has a better chance at them.

Some of this has come to the fro ...

Washington & Oregon now going to the Big 10 is kind of telling.

I don't believe FSU is being considered by the Big 10. Even though word out of the B1G is that they will evaluate & consider the potential inclusion for Stanford/Cal, as well as teams from the ACC.

They didn't mention which teams from the ACC they were looking at, but, I have a suspicion of who they are vetting.

Every team the Big Ten has officially invited has been an AAU Research Institution. Including the Big XII and Big East raids from years ago.

Rutgers - Maryland - Nebraska were all AAU

Nebraska has since lost their AAU Status, but they were when they had been invited.

Every existing Big 10 Conference member is an AAU Institution [again, except for Nebraska]

USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington all have AAU Status.

There are 69 Universities in the U.S. that currently hold AAU Membership, and 2 more in Canada.

Of the teams in the ACC, along with affiliate Schools, the AAU members are:

Boston College
Duke
Georgia Tech
Miami
North Carolina
Notre Dame
Pittsburgh
Virginia

Also, if considering how the Big 10 Machine has spread its wings, you would have to assume they are going to continue the trend of finding potential expansion into territories where they do not have a presence.

If/When the ACC breaks apart, I can see the sport headed to a 3 Super Conference field of 24 Teams each.

I suspect Clemson & FSU will find their way into the SEC, likely along with Louisville & Virginia Tech [Blacksburg does have the Southeastern atmosphere].

The Big 10 will target a Florida school, obviously reaching out to Miami, first. If all else fails, they could go after USF, who themselves hold AAU Membership Status. But I have a feeling Miami would absolutely accept the Big Ten invite, without FSU.

Then the Big 10 may go after the Atlanta Market to get a footprint in Georgia by adding Ga Tech.

UNC & UVA are a package deal. They do not want to make a move without the other. And with AAU Status, the Big 10 comes after them.

This would end Notre Dame's conference affiliation, that would leave them needing a home. Unless they snub the Big 10 for the Big XII, I think ND finally joins the Midwest Contingent.

Right now, the ACC is holding meetings, to determine whether or not to open invitations for Stanford & Cal, who actually reached out to the ACC on Monday.

However, in the scenario of the ACC imploding, I suspect Stanford & Cal end up in the Big Ten after the dust settles. That could bump Georgia Tech from consideration, as that would be 25 teams ---- Unless Notre Dame does choose to go Big XII or SEC.

The other possibility, is Stanford and Cal lick their wounds and join the Big XII ---- Then the Big 10 would go after either Boston College, for the Massachusetts thumbprint. Or Syracuse to garner the New York area.

I think Pitt winds up in the Big XII, as their Commissioner has spoke on the conference's intent to increase its Basketball Market. Which would make the "Back Yard Brawl" a year Conference event. That, and because the Big 10 will not reach out to Pitt, already having Penn State as their Pennsylvania Market.

I'm guessing the Big XII basically takes whomever the Big 10 doesn't, that has an influential Basketball program [of course this means Duke]. And if there were any openings left under 24, then extend invitations to San Diego State.

Then it would be up to the SEC to find 4 more, unless they decided, "Nah. We're fine with 20."

Cane... [__]

Return to “General Discussion”