Is This Baptism By Fire ..?

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Is This Baptism By Fire ..?

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:09 pm

---------------------------------------------------------------

Dan Lanning is getting his shot as the Oregon Ducks Head Football Coach ...

It's a great opportunity, especially for a guy who is just 36 years old.

However, talk about holding your feet over the open flames. He'll head his first game against the Defending National Champions, Georgia.

And, although listed as a Neutral Site game; it is going to be held at Mercedes-Benz Stadium, in Atlanta.

Talk about lopsided Travel-Logs.

I mean, even if you wanted to budget the trip, you could get a Bus Ticket from Athens for $22, at the distance of 73 miles, in 1 hour & 15 minutes.

The other, is a 4 hour & 52 minutes Flight, averaging $140 for a one way Ticket.

You could take the Hipster Scenic Route, getting yourself an Train Ticket for $464.

Either way, It's a 2616 mile trip.

With Georgia Fans' penchant for Travel, and purchasing opponents Tickets from their box office, I wouldn't be in the slightest surprised to see a 90% + Bulldogs crowd.

I mean, Georgia fans will Travel that distance by car, on game day, just to Tail-gate.

Tag that onto the fact that Georgia is coming off of one of the most dominant defenses in History. Though, with 5 Starters going in the 1rst Round,with 10 others being taken in the nfl draft. But the guys who are returning, were 4 & 5 Star recruits coming in, and saw plenty of play time by rotation. Georgia's two O-Line Alphas also went to the pros, yet, they're still stacked in the Offensive Trenches, with 3 returning and a projected 1rst rounder at Tackle. Running Back Corps are deep [practically an assembly line in mass production of talent], Tight End position is Outstanding, and QB who's seen the best defensive competition.

Then factor in Oregon's most productive Defensive player in the last 20 years Kayvon Thibodeaux, is gone to the nfl, are going to rely heavily on Brandon Dorlus who they hope is going to have a breakout year. Along with 3 Tranafer-Ins; Casey Rogers & Jordan Riley [both from Nebraska], and {Sam} Taki Taimani [from Washington], could make this one of the best units in 2022. The L-Backers are impressive; Justin Flowe and Noah Sewell are certainly Standouts --- But, there's a bit of a drop off in the Secondary. A couple of decent players, but what Georgia will scheme up is going to be troublesome.

Oregon is being as tight lipped about their practices as one can be. Lanning isn't letting anyone in. Keeping all media away, he doesn't want a thing getting out. And I can't blame him.

You're playing the Defending National Champions, who are expected to make another Playoff Run, in what is basically a Home game for them, as the season opener, in your first appearance as the head coach.

On paper, your defense won't match up well late in the game, when the UGA RB's wear out your front, then start attacking press coverage passes with those amazing TE's where your D is thinnest. The Ducks are going to have Bennett Williams back, who missed most of last year. He is the lockdown corner. However, even with reports claiming he is looking Stellar, he is one guy, at 5 ft 11 in, height will play its role against the taller UGA hands. Unless someone else steps up to help, he's going to have to cover the bulk of the field, as Safety Verone McKinley III & CB Mykael Wright both left the team for the 2022 draft.

To make matters worse; Oregon's ground game will be set back by CJ Verdell, the Ducks most productive RB, declaring for the draft in January.

Spence will of course remember Verdell in his post game September Nightmares, where Verdell ran for 161 yards and three total touchdowns in the Shoe.

One could say Everest looks like a Hill in comparison of that Mount to climb.

My guess, and this is just first impressions; This will be a close game until mid 3rd quarter, when Georgia starts pulling away.

Then spread is 17, Georgia winning ...

That could be conservative.

UGA by 24

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Is This Baptism By Fire ..?

Postby Spence » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:49 pm

I don't want to talk about last years defense.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “General Discussion”