2022 Coaches Portal ...

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: 2022 Coaches Portal ...

Postby Mountainman » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:42 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:--------------------------------------------------------------

Curious things afoot ...

Not exactly a coaching update, though will directly impact a Coaching future. Alabama's AD, J Batt, was poached, being hired away as Georgia Tech's new Athletics Director.

The Collegiate Sports arms race is in full stride.

And as per usual, all appearances look centered around Football.

Well now, that’s interesting……… guess who just got hired down in Tuscaloosa?????

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:17 pm

Didn't see that coming. :shock:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:24 am

-------------------------------------------------------------

I've got to check my contact sources again in the morning ...

But if I'm hearing things right, not only does it look like Hugh Freeze to Auburn.

I hear the Deion Sanders was offered the Colorado job.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:12 pm

Still waiting on confirmation for the other two situations ...

However, there are other goings on `round this carousel.

If I'm hearing right;

Luke Fickell to Madison
Kenny Dillingham to Phoenix

And then David Shaw Resigned from Stanford.

Last edited by Cane from the Bend on Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:41 pm

Okay, these are official ...

Luke Fickell is Wisconsin's new Head Coach.

Arizona State hires Oregon's Offensive Coordinator Kenny Dillingham as their new Head Coach.

David Shaw infact resigned from Stanford.

And Matt Rhule has been hired as Nebraska's Head Coach.

Last edited by Cane from the Bend on Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:11 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Mountainman wrote:…….and that’s why Shane Lyons’s neck is also on the chopping block……. He, very quietly gave Brown an extension with guaranteed payout of the term of the contract if terminated early. Brown has been a disappointment, his teams have been so so win one winning season and has shown himself to not be an in the moment guy….. I happen to believe his replacement is on staff In Graham Harrell and Brown very well could be fired at the end of the season…….. of which I’m convinced that the Mountaineers may not win a single conference game.

Does West Va have some sort of ethics guideline that if breached, they could fire the coach without penalty ..?

I assume they do.

If I'm the administration, I invite Urban Meyer to a banquet, and have him chat it up with brown.

Encourage them to hangout afterwards, send `em to a Nightclub, and secretly send an intern with a camera phone to get the incriminating evidence.

Neal Brown would bore her to death with Coach Speak……….. :roll:

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:23 pm

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tulsa fires Head Coach Philip Montgomery ...

Incarnate Word Head Coach G.J. Kinne looks like the favored choice to replace Montgomery. He is a former Quarterback of the Golden Hurricanes, and presently has Incarnate Word cruising along at 10-1 heading into the FCS playoffs. The Cardinals own the biggest scoring margin in Div-I with a #7 national ranking. They reached a height of #4 in the FCS polls; which is the best in program history. The offense has set school records with 52 passing touchdowns and 2,355 rushing yards this season.

College Football Black Sunday [aka Coaching Turnover Day] is turning out to be active.

Who else will we here about by tomorrow?

Last edited by Cane from the Bend on Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:56 pm

The Axeman continues to wield his favored tool ...

Texas State fires Head Coach Jake Spavital.

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:06 am

Derek wrote:
Spence wrote:Not sure about the hotseat because of the contract, but Mel Tucker can't be comfortable at his desk currently.

Georgia Tech fans are almost as delusional as Nebraska fans asking for Urban Meyer.

Ga Tech's following has got this push for Deion Sanders.

I've heard Neon Deion was going to Ga Tech as well, which I find VERY weird. It just doesn't seem to fit him for some reason.

The Deion to Tech can be dismissed, from what I hear ...

Georgia Tech looks set to hire Tulane's Head Coach Willie Fritz. There is talk that the 2 parties are nearing a deal, and an announcement could be made as soon as tonight.

As for Sanders; I'm still keeping an ear to the trail on that Colorado offer.

I wonder if ole Neon isn't playing two-sides for a better offer, as there is information that he has been in conversations with both UC & USF

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:15 am

And while a topic of Florida Football is up for discussion ...

This one happened yesterday; FAU has fired Willie Taggart.

Maybe he should stay out of the state for a bit. Find, possibly, a Coordinator position in the Midwest/MAC. Kind of a fresh start sort of thing.

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:33 am

----------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some non-Change Out updates, that do directly regard Head Coaching jobs ...

Lance Leipold agreed to a two-year contract extension with Kansas that stretches through the 2029 season. He previously signed a new deal in August. The university included a commitment to spend $300 million on new facilities and upgrades in athletics; with the primary focus on football.

Kalen DeBoer agreed to a contract extension with Washington, through the 2028 season. His salary for 2023 will be $4.2 million plus incentives, with raises of $100,000 each year through the life of the deal.

Kentucky has signed a contract extension with Mark Stoops, through June 2031. The new contract will pay him annually $8.6 million plus incentives. His buyout increases from $1.75 million to $4.5 million if he leaves the Wildcats before June 30, 2023. The buyout decreases $500,000 each year.

Attempting to avoid anymore rumors; Lane Kiffin is expected to sign an eight year extension at Ole Miss.
This new contract will pay him "North of $9 million per year", as it is being quoted.

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:28 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:-------------------------------------------------------------

I've got to check my contact sources again in the morning ...

But if I'm hearing things right, not only does it look like Hugh Freeze to Auburn.

I hear the Deion Sanders was offered the Colorado job.

Hugh Freeze confirmed ...

Officially named as Auburn's Head Coach.

The previous info I had, said Auburn wanted to keep Carnell Williams [Cadillac] on staff as an assistant/Co Head Coach. Rumors were, that Kiffin wanted to be the guy in charge, and with Williams looking over his shoulder, it wouldn't feel like they really hired him. Whereas, with Freeze's troubled past, he wouldn't have any negotiating room to refuse.

My take, they are keeping Cadillac on staff for when they want to scapegoat and dump Freeze. Then they'll officially announce Williams as HC in the aftermath.

Deion Sanders confirmed that Colorado did in fact offer the job to him ...

Deion Sanders:

“Yeah, definitely the report is true. They’re not the only ones. The report is true. I’m not going to sit in here and tell all my business, but they’re not the only ones. And I would be a liar if I told you they didn’t. You know they did. I know they did. Everybody there know they did. So it is what it is. That’s not my focus right now. My focus is to win and to be dominant and then to not even go on to the Celebration Bowl. My focus is right here in this beloved stadium to be dominant on Saturday. That’s my focus, and I keep the main thing the main thing. And everyone that knows me know that about me. I have an innate ability to focus and keep the main thing the main thing.”

Of course it's not his focus. It doesn't have to be.

The man has had an agent for 33 years. You let that guy and his team find the best deal for you, and go over the offers once the season is concluded.

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:44 pm

Derek wrote:
Spence wrote:

Georgia Tech looks set to hire Tulane's Head Coach Willie Fritz. There is talk that the 2 parties are nearing a deal, and an announcement could be made as soon as tonight.

Fritz is being vague, and I suspect it's because he doesn't want it to be a distraction for the AAC title game vs UCF; and potential New Year's 6 birth.

Willie Fritz:

"I talked to the team about it and obviously the initial report gets more traction than the secondary report, but I am the head football coach of Tulane. I am extremely proud to be the head coach at Tulane and we are looking forward to the ballgame on Saturday. And that is what I told our guys when I visited with them this morning. So, I don't want to talk about those kinds of things, I want to talk about the ballgame."

Either way, it's out there, now. So we'll know one way or another, soon enough.

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:15 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------

Here's one that will surely fire up a certain mountain dweller we all know and Love ...

West Virginia announced that they will be retaining Head Coach Neal Brown, in 2023.

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:00 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:--------------------------------------------------------------

Here's one that will surely fire up a certain mountain dweller we all know and Love ...

West Virginia announced that they will be retaining Head Coach Neal Brown, in 2023.

He’s got another year……… concerns about the timing and probable impact on the current recruiting class and the transfer portal of players currently on the roster, along with the Term Contract the former AD gave Brown, now at 17mil plus, couple that with the football staff contractual buyouts, saved Brown’s butt.

It wasn’t only the performance of the football team that got Lyons canned……. his refusal to support NIL Trusts that have been established is what got him booted out.

It was that and with other shortcoming cost the AD his job…….. all things considered, I can live with it.

P.S. Spence is absolutely right about Gordon Gee, no matter what room he’s standing in, he’s the smartest guy their……. :wink:

Last edited by Mountainman on Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”