2022 Coaches Portal ...

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

2022 Coaches Portal ...

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:05 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------

Yep, it's beginning ...

Frost was the first one to go, after losing to Georgia Southern

Herm Edwards is out from Arizona State following the loss to Eastern Michigan

There are some coaches on a chopping block Watch-List.

Keep an eye out for:

Bryan Harsin {Auburn}

Geoff Collins {Georgia Tech}

Karl Dorrell {Colorado} [maybe just Hot Seat, this is year 3]

Ken Niumatalolo {Navy}

Neal Brown {West Virginia}

Pat Fitzgerald {Northwestern}

Scott Satterfield {Louisville}

Who do you think could possibly be shown the door, prior to the season's end ..?

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 2022 Coaches Portal ...

Postby Spence » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:20 pm

Not sure about the hotseat because of the contract, but Mel Tucker can't be comfortable at his desk currently.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:06 pm

Spence wrote:Not sure about the hotseat because of the contract, but Mel Tucker can't be comfortable at his desk currently.

I just found out that Neal Brown's buyout is $20 million, and is only reduced to $16 million after the 2022 season concludes.

I don't see West Virginia anteing up that kind of scratch to get rid of someone, only to have to pay the buyout for the coach they want to get and paying him a competitive salary.

Georgia Tech fans are almost as delusional as Nebraska fans asking for Urban Meyer.

Ga Tech's following has got this push for Deion Sanders.

There's some talk asking for Sanders to Auburn, as well.

Now that FSU is showing improvement, the 'noles camp will have to wait before they get in on the bidding for Neon Deion.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:16 am

…….and that’s why Shane Lyons’s neck is also on the chopping block……. He, very quietly gave Brown an extension with guaranteed payout of the term of the contract if terminated early. Brown has been a disappointment, his teams have been so so win one winning season and has shown himself to not be an in the moment guy….. I happen to believe his replacement is on staff In Graham Harrell and Brown very well could be fired at the end of the season…….. of which I’m convinced that the Mountaineers may not win a single conference game.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:35 pm

Mountainman wrote:…….and that’s why Shane Lyons’s neck is also on the chopping block……. He, very quietly gave Brown an extension with guaranteed payout of the term of the contract if terminated early. Brown has been a disappointment, his teams have been so so win one winning season and has shown himself to not be an in the moment guy….. I happen to believe his replacement is on staff In Graham Harrell and Brown very well could be fired at the end of the season…….. of which I’m convinced that the Mountaineers may not win a single conference game.

Does West Va have some sort of ethics guideline that if breached, they could fire the coach without penalty ..?

I assume they do.

If I'm the administration, I invite Urban Meyer to a banquet, and have him chat it up with brown.

Encourage them to hangout afterwards, send `em to a Nightclub, and secretly send an intern with a camera phone to get the incriminating evidence.

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:21 am

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Mountainman wrote:…….and that’s why Shane Lyons’s neck is also on the chopping block……. He, very quietly gave Brown an extension with guaranteed payout of the term of the contract if terminated early. Brown has been a disappointment, his teams have been so so win one winning season and has shown himself to not be an in the moment guy….. I happen to believe his replacement is on staff In Graham Harrell and Brown very well could be fired at the end of the season…….. of which I’m convinced that the Mountaineers may not win a single conference game.

Does West Va have some sort of ethics guideline that if breached, they could fire the coach without penalty ..?

I assume they do.

If I'm the administration, I invite Urban Meyer to a banquet, and have him chat it up with brown.

Encourage them to hangout afterwards, send `em to a Nightclub, and secretly send an intern with a camera phone to get the incriminating evidence.

………oh, Brown pissed me off again after the VaTech game during his post-game presser when he was asked about the Mountaineer Season so far and he referenced the Pitt game and never mentioned his decision to punt on a 4th and 18 inches with 6 minutes left in the game, and that during the Kansas game the defense didn’t have a clue how to even get lined-up and the kicking game SUCKED. He put the blame on ‘freak plays’ and ‘that’s not how we play defense at West Virginia’……… but I will say this, the Mountaineer Nation has got his and Shane Lyons attention. :roll: :roll: :roll:

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:00 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:There are some coaches on a chopping block Watch-List.

Keep an eye out for:

Bryan Harsin {Auburn}

Ken Niumatalolo {Navy}

Collins is out ...

It also looks like there is about to be a turnover at AD in Atlanta.

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:28 pm

Mountainman wrote:

I assume they do.

………oh, Brown pissed me off again after the VaTech game during his post-game presser when he was asked about the Mountaineer Season so far and he referenced the Pitt game and never mentioned his decision to punt on a 4th and 18 inches with 6 minutes left in the game, and that during the Kansas game the defense didn’t have a clue how to even get lined-up and the kicking game SUCKED. He put the blame on ‘freak plays’ and ‘that’s not how we play defense at West Virginia’……… but I will say this, the Mountaineer Nation has got his and Shane Lyons attention. :roll: :roll: :roll:

If you don't trust your defense to get 18" any time in the game from any yardline, you don't need to be a coach. Want to lose a locker room quick? Tell them you don't believe in their ability to move the ball 18" with the game on the line.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:28 am

Spence wrote:Not sure about the hotseat because of the contract, but Mel Tucker can't be comfortable at his desk currently.

I just found out that Neal Brown's buyout is $20 million, and is only reduced to $16 million after the 2022 season concludes.

I don't see West Virginia anteing up that kind of scratch to get rid of someone, only to have to pay the buyout for the coach they want to get and paying him a competitive salary.

Georgia Tech fans are almost as delusional as Nebraska fans asking for Urban Meyer.

Ga Tech's following has got this push for Deion Sanders.

There's some talk asking for Sanders to Auburn, as well.

Now that FSU is showing improvement, the 'noles camp will have to wait before they get in on the bidding for Neon Deion.

I've heard Neon Deion was going to Ga Tech as well, which I find VERY weird. It just doesn't seem to fit him for some reason.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:59 pm

Keep an eye out for:

Bryan Harsin {Auburn}

Ken Niumatalolo {Navy}

Forget the Hot Seat ...

Dorell is out at Colorado.

And as Spence mentioned in the Picks Thread; Paul Chryst was released by Wisconsin.

I didn't see that one coming, either.

They were 9 -4 with a Bowl win last year.

I guess losing to Bielema was just too embarrassing for the Madison folk to endure.

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:49 pm

It didn't make sense. I am guessing there is more going on then we know.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:48 am

Keep an eye out for:

Bryan Harsin {Auburn}

Ken Niumatalolo {Navy}

One by one they fall ..,

Harsin is out. It was only a matter of time.

I wonder who actually did the deed, since Auburn doesn't currently have an AD.

May have been the reason they took so long to pull the trigger on this.

I suppose the boosters will now tell the administration who the next head coach is. I wonder if we find out before the Auburn faculty does.

Who's your best guess ..?

The short list I believe starts with Lane Kiffin, then Hugh Freeze.

Then there's a hot name, that every team's fan base South of the Ohio River and East of the Mississip, in need of a new head coach has in their mouths, Jamey Chadwell, HC of Coastal Carolina.

After that, if they throw the vault at him; Kevin Steele, Miami's D-Coordinator [which I'd be fine with, by the way]

Steele was ready & set to take the Auburn job back in 2020, even with the boosters association all but telling him he was the guy; before the University AD pulled the rug out from under him, and hired Bryan Harsin --- Would Steele take the job .?. Or is there too much bad blood there to consider it ?..

Selfishly, I'd like to see him get the job.

Steele's defense at Miami this season has, at times, looked like the defense he had at Clemson when his unit got him fired by giving up 70 to West Va in the Orange Bowl.

If Auburn believes in him, they should grab him while the gettin's good.

And by gettin', I mean, their taking him off our hands means we can go on to gettin' a more Competent DC.

Please Auburn ... take Steele.

You know you wanna.

Just, try him out for a few games. Fire him after two or three losses, if you want. Nobody would blame you.

He's really your guy. I promise he is.

Go on ... test it out. It'll be fine.

What possibly could go wrong?

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:19 am

You called it……. Auburn pulled down on the guillotine rope and put Bryan Harsin’s head in a basket. 8)

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:40 pm

Here's one that hadn't occurred to me at the start of the season ...

However, had you told me Jeff Scott would be fired from USF about 4 weeks in, I'd have said; "Yeah, that sounds right."

So many people keep the hot name cycling. And that name is Deion Sanders.

Two schools currently being on the call list, as far as the media is concerned, are South Florida & Colorado.

I don't know what kind of fit Sanders would be, in Boulder.

If it were to come down to these two programs, It feels as though USF makes more sense. Culturally, his personality meshes with the environment, and he was raised in his youth in North Fort Meyers, about an hour and a half south of Tampa.

On-the-flip-side of that proverbial coin; when referring to what seems to make sense, College Football these days has looked rather senseless about the way it's being conducted.

So, it would not surprise me one bit if he were to take the Colorado job, especially if the budget offered is higher paying. UC was, afterall, a rather formidable opponent during playing Deion's days. If he could give that program even the hint of a spark, it might be a boon.

Last edited by Cane from the Bend on Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:57 pm

Curious things afoot ...

Not exactly a coaching update, though will directly impact a Coaching future. Alabama's AD, J Batt, was poached, being hired away as Georgia Tech's new Athletics Director.

The Collegiate Sports arms race is in full stride.

And as per usual, all appearances look centered around Football.

Cane... [__]

Return to “General Discussion”