Predictions Are Up ...

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Predictions Are Up ...

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:29 am

--------------------------------------------------------------

As in the past, I put up 30 picks for Rivalry Weekend.

Also, it's an early week, with the first game on Thanksgiving Thursday: The Egg Bowl

Yo can quick jump to them, here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13030

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Predictions Are Up ...

Postby Mountainman » Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:55 pm

Oh goodie……… picking for me this season gives me what I would imagine is the same feeling the Christians had when facing the lions in Rome at the Colosseum. :roll: :roll: :roll:

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:50 pm

Mountainman wrote:Oh goodie……… picking for me this season gives me what I would imagine is the same feeling the Christians had when facing the lions in Rome at the Colosseum. :roll: :roll: :roll:

It has been a crazy season. I was going to change from Oklahoma to Okie State Saturday morning and the cell towers around me went out. Turned out to be lucky for me it did.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:48 pm

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:Oh goodie……… picking for me this season gives me what I would imagine is the same feeling the Christians had when facing the lions in Rome at the Colosseum. :roll: :roll: :roll:

It has been a crazy season. I was going to change from Oklahoma to Okie State Saturday morning and the cell towers around me went out. Turned out to be lucky for me it did.

I actually did change my pick from Oregon to Utah ...

Yeah, it's been like that all year.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:37 pm

I’m just beeching, moaning and whining because the Mountaineer Football has been a disaster in the making for sometime now……… players are hitting the transfer portal and the idiot Athletic Director decided to give the Coach an extension, a raise and rewrite his contract to guarantee the dollars for the entire term of the contract in the event the coach is fired………. AND THE GUY HAS A LOSING RECORD. :shock:

…….and last Saturday, the best DB on the team just didn’t show up for the game, nobody knew where he was until he tweeted and said he was transferring. That to go along with nobody knows where JT Daniels is…… Neil Brown was asked and he said, ‘You’ll have to ask him that”.

And to see that stadium yesterday with 20k people in it was disheartening…….. :?

Watching a competitive and proud program fall to this dismal level is embarrassing very disappointing.

At least the idiot Athletic Director is gone. We’ll see how this thing turns out. :roll:

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:19 pm

Mountainman wrote:I’m just beeching, moaning and whining because the Mountaineer Football has been a disaster in the making for sometime now……… players are hitting the transfer portal and the idiot Athletic Director decided to give the Coach an extension, a raise and rewrite his contract to guarantee the dollars for the entire term of the contract in the event the coach is fired………. AND THE GUY HAS A LOSING RECORD. :shock:

…….and last Saturday, the best DB on the team just didn’t show up for the game, nobody knew where he was until he tweeted and said he was transferring. That to go along with nobody knows where JT Daniels is…… Neil Brown was asked and he said, ‘You’ll have to ask him that”.

And to see that stadium yesterday with 20k people in it was disheartening…….. :?

Watching a competitive and proud program fall to this dismal level is embarrassing very disappointing.

At least the idiot Athletic Director is gone. We’ll see how this thing turns out. :roll:

Which is all a shame because West Virginia has been a tough out this year meaning that there are pieces in place to be successful.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:51 pm

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:I’m just beeching, moaning and whining because the Mountaineer Football has been a disaster in the making for sometime now……… players are hitting the transfer portal and the idiot Athletic Director decided to give the Coach an extension, a raise and rewrite his contract to guarantee the dollars for the entire term of the contract in the event the coach is fired………. AND THE GUY HAS A LOSING RECORD. :shock:

Which is all a shame because West Virginia has been a tough out this year meaning that there are pieces in place to be successful.

The way I see it is schools like West Virginia, in today’s world of TV programming being where the money is, must be competitive. Meaning their games must be well played and entertaining to the point of oftentimes beating the big market programs.

Why is that? One might ask…….. the way I see it is the schools that don’t have a large TV viewership or following, like WVU, must instead provide outstanding programming to the media markets. That means more viewers and that means more value to the conference and provides leverage and marketability during negotiations with the TV guys.

And if a school like WVU with no large TV market of its own, does not increase the value of its games by challenging the schools in a conference that do have the large markets, then WVU’s value to a conference is greatly reduced or valueless……. to the conference members in their pursuit of TV dollars. Which begs the question, “Why should a P5 Conference want you as a member if you’re not adding value?”

P.S. Pissed-off and bourbon does indeed cause one to ramble on…….. 8)

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:40 pm

I think that is spot on analysis. I don't think it should be that way, but TV rules the roost right now. I do think that the "big boys" better re-evaluate how they do business or the conferences can't survive. Money is always going to be part of the equation, but unless they want to turn college football into NFL jr league, they had better care about schools like Purdue, West Virginia, Nebraska, Missouri, and even Clemson. You can't build a schedule with all top 15 teams. You need these other schools to be able to compete and sometimes climb to the top of the pile. Other wise you may as well just create a perennial schedule of Ohio State, Georgia, Michigan, USC, UCLA, Penn State, Alabama, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Texas, Texas A&M, Rutgers, Tennessee, & Cal. Not only is a schedule with just those members not sustainable, but it would completely eliminate the appearance of this being amateur and collegiate sports.

Return to “General Discussion”